I just snagged a Vintage Modern 2466 Half Stack for $50...

• Thread starter TammyRiffs
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dozer

Reaction score
Not clickbait I swear! This is my first post so I hope this is allowed but I just officially joined the Marshall club by pure luck 😅

I was browsing fb yesterday and the ad came up near me listing a Vintage Modern half stack for $50AUD (like 25 US bucks). I assumed it had to be a typo and messaged them, and nope, not a typo. I don't know much about these but I do know that it's a Marshall tube amp so it's gotta be worth way more than that. Naturally I tell them i'll pick it up right away and zoom over hoping someone hasn't sniped me in the process.

Get there and the guy is an ex muso in a really wealthy part of town on a really nice estate. He says he thinks it needs new tubes and was under the impression that only a Marshall tech can do that so just wanted to offload it. I hand him a crisp $50 dollar bill and try and contain my excitement as I quickly load the amp and cab into my car and drive away before he realises what he's doing.

I get her home and switch her on and to my ears she sings. Turns out one of her kt66's does need replacing, but the rest are good. Ordered a replacement quad today for $200

I knew these were rare, but after doing some research it seems these amps alone can go for between $2500-$3000 here, and the cab is gorgeous. I wanna say this guy didn't know what he had, but honestly he did. He had a fender twin, some nice vintage strats and what I think was a custom 24 at the back of his amp room so he knew what he had.

TL;DR: I just picked up a $4000 Marshall rig for $50AUD that just needs some new tubes and i'm kinda freaking out at how lucky I got 🤯😅

Thats beyond awesome. Being a former gear flipper, I have run into similar deals so it's totally believable to me. Never happened to me with a Marshall but I have had similar scores in the past at Yard/Tag sales and such.

Kutt

Reaction score
I hate to admit but I almost certainly won't be using this amp for its intended tones, i'll be boosting it for some dark gritty grunge, 90's alternative and hard rock tones 😈 I do own a les paul with a coil split so I will defs experiment though!

In this scenario test keeping the "Body" control down very low, perhaps all the way off. It will sound very good with a Les Paul / coil split Les Paul.

TammyRiffs

Reaction score
In this scenario test keeping the "Body" control down very low, perhaps all the way off. It will sound very good with a Les Paul / coil split Les Paul.
Yeah i've watched some Leon Todd videos and he's getting a darker hard rock tone close to what i'd aim for on his VM and he defs has the detail higher than the body, i'm gonna be putting some 6L6GC's in there too

JohnH

Reaction score
IMO every tone in our heads is inside a VM if you explore! , maybe with a pedal or two. I find an OD-3 is a great booster, on the LDR amp mode. And a Guv'nor switches in the 'JCM800'. There's so many ways to make it 'your' amp.

Its the real thing, designed by Steve Dawson who I think is a genius.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crazy good @TammyRiffs! These kind of deals are exceptional rare, almost nonexistent, congrats TR, enjoy in good health.

Incredible timing and a little bit of luck.

PentodeLicious

Reaction score
I know this thread is 2 months old but...
You live in Australia and snagged a vintage modern half stack for 50 aussie?
You must be the luckiest person on the planet!:cheers:
I want to be you, I want to leave my wife and kids and marry you and get a permanent resident.

tolm

Reaction score
Had a 2266C combo years ago. To this day it’s the only musical gear I truely regret selling. Yeh, there’s plenty of stuff I sometimes think “I wish I still had X” but that Vintage Modern 2x12 … I was an idiot to let that go …