I Love Flying V-ees

• Thread starter GuitarIV
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Next week's project.
70's Ibanez 2387...which I always believed is the exact SAME guitar as the Hetfield Electra V
A lot of those guitars were made in the same places ,they were then shipped n distributed under different names .....some costing more than others ,especially nowdays

mcblink

Reaction score
Next week's project.
70's Ibanez 2387...which I always believed is the exact SAME guitar as the Hetfield Electra V
A lot of those guitars were made in the same places ,they were then shipped n distributed under different names .....some costing more than others ,especially nowdays

And it's not even all scratched up and beat to hell! Sweet guitar!

mcblink

Reaction score
Was a toss up 'tween that and that Brent Hinds on Craig's...but I thought this one is just a little more unique,especially to someone of my age group ....
Unique? LOL okay, it is, it is.

but I can't say I know of any other bluesmen in your age group rocking a Brent Hinds either haha!

Good choice though, the one you got is a hell of a sexy instrument.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Was a toss up 'tween that and that Brent Hinds on Craig's...but I thought this one is just a little more unique,especially to someone of my age group ....
Alvis age has nothing to do with any of it , music, guitar types, this is where us dinosaurs shine my brother, because we are timeless! And there is a faction of blues in damm near every form of music ( that is pleasing to the ears) Cheers Mitch

mcblink

Reaction score
Alvis age has nothing to do with any of it , music, guitar types, this is where us dinosaurs shine my brother, because we are timeless! And there is a faction of blues in damm near every form of music ( that is pleasing to the ears) Cheers Mitch
I, for one, am glad to hear this. I'm only 36 today, but I hope to be old someday too.

I'll grind that axe for a long time

mcblink

Reaction score
Lol

Thanks, but I should clarify: today is not my birthday, that's in June, but as of today I'm only 36....

Wait, that's probably just as confusing...

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
I, for one, am glad to hear this. I'm only 36 today, but I hope to be old someday too.

I'll grind that axe for a long time
I dip wadded out some how above, any way Happy birthday to ya Mike and you shall weather the storm , and play hard riffing rock well into the twilight years brother, I am proof of that , and I know that their are many more like my self, they may just be around the corner, you never know, keep it fun and it will continue on this life’s road! Cheers Mitch

mcblink

Reaction score
I dip wadded out some how above, any way Happy birthday to ya Mike and you shall weather the storm , and play hard riffing rock well into the twilight years brother, I am proof of that , and I know that their are many more like my self, they may just be around the corner, you never know, keep it fun and it will continue on this life’s road! Cheers Mitch
Speaking of storms, we're getting hit pretty hard today. Got a blizzard happening. Haven't actually seen a winter like this one here in several years.

I ain't goin outside for nothin'

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol

Thanks, but I should clarify: today is not my birthday, that's in June, but as of today I'm only 36....

Wait, that's probably just as confusing...
No problem brother well wishes are one thing that all just need to accept, I shall try and remember in June to give you proper wishes!

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unique? LOL okay, it is, it is.

but I can't say I know of any other bluesmen in your age group rocking a Brent Hinds either haha!

Good choice though, the one you got is a hell of a sexy instrument.

I don't know too much about that bluesman sh*t or who Brent Hinds really is :lol:. But I guess I got about 35 years of Flyin V's behind me
The attraction on the Brent Hinds for me is that I have been wavin' the Silver N Black since I could walk ...Went to my 1st Raider game in 1967 :hbang::hbang:

I watched a demo of the Hinds on the tube , looked really cool,but
I got 2 Epis at the moment anyhow , a black Korina and a Popa Chubby (I compuonded the name off the truss rod cover because Who TF wants that on their guitar ???) :lol:

But yeah , I had to go with the 70's Ibanez. It's gonna be really cool when I get done settin it up
I got it broke down in pieces now . I think I'll leave the orig neck pickup in ..maybe a Gibson 490 or 36th Annin Di Marzio in the bridge

There were 3 versions of the 2387 ...this one (bolt on) , a set neck version of this one and a set neck faux Korina (which I have also)

mcblink

Reaction score
I don't know too much about that bluesman sh*t or who Brent Hinds really is :lol:. But I guess I got about 35 years of Flyin V's behind me
The attraction on the Brent Hinds for me is that I have been wavin' the Silver N Black since I could walk ...Went to my 1st Raider game in 1967 :hbang::hbang:

I got 2 Epis at the moment anyhow , a black Korina and a Popa Chubby (I compuonded the name off the truss rod cover because Who TF wants that on their guitar ???) :lol:

But yeah , I had to go with the 70's Ibanez. It's gonna be really cool when I get done settin it up
I got it broke down in pieces now . I think I'll leave the orig neck pickup in ..maybe a Gibson 490 or 36th Annin Di Marzio in the bridge

There were 3 versions of the 2387 ...this one (bolt on) , a set neck version of this one and a set neck faux Korina (which I have also)
I think I've mentioned it before, but I'm not real big on signature gear at all either. And while I am a fan of Hinds and Mastodon, I have to admit that like you, the silverburst is what got me. If it had been yellow or purple or some shit, I probably wouldn't have looked twice at it lol.

I've been thinking of getting a plain black truss rod cover for my Hinds V too. His name isn't quite as, how shall I say this.....risque, perhaps, as Popa Chubby's but I'm not sure I want it on the guitar either.

Also, I've never actually seen Hinds use his Epi sig on stage, but I sure as shit seen him playing his Gibson custom silverburst a lot. Go figure, no real mystery there I guess.

I trust you'll be back with pics of that Ibanez when you're all done with it? It's a sweet guitar. I dig that kinda dark red/burgundy scheme on a V. A classy look.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score

Ahhh come on Alvis you know Albert King played a V , I got mine because of dude by the name of Schenker, and Downing!

Rudy v

Reaction score
I got into the flying v business of this judas priest and accept the breaker record 15502588232983086786351334993260.jpg

Attachments

• 15502588901778170199520791212913.jpg
    15502588901778170199520791212913.jpg
    492.9 KB · Views: 0

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Made some progress on the Ibanez ...
It's always funny to me though , just how fckd up people will let a guitar become ...then sell it
Ground wire was broken...great ...Neck pickup dead .Hopefully I can fix it . If I do,Im puttin it back in . they had a Super D in the bridge ...a good choice because due to the neck angle ,the pickupos need to be jacked way up ,and the Super D has tall bobbins. I didn't really wanna cut up the 40yr old Japanese pickguard and put mounting rings on it
The Super D they had in there was worn to sh*t on one bobbin ...still functioning , but looked goofy ,so I replaced it with an old square tab Super d Id been hoarding. In the neck I put an old 70's Made For Japan Di Marzio....so the pickups are pretty much "period correct"
New CTS pots ,switchcraft jack n switch and witch hat knobs
The matchbox car tuning gears had to go . I replaced them with some cheap but effective screw in keystones that I tend to use on all my70's Japanese Gibson copies .
Im probably gonna make a bone nut as I work out the kinks , but it's ready for a gig now

Thundermtn

Reaction score
I love Flying V's! My favorite shape hands down.

First is my BCR, Jr. V Deluxe. EMG's, heavy strings, boosted triple rec. 90's metal tone for days.

Up next is my Gothic V, my first Gibson. Beat on quite a bit and not a great guitar but it played a lot of shows and has some sentimental value.

Finally my Epi. Hinds V on it's NGD, easily the favorite. Well built, super resonant and amazing complex tone. With 11-49 NYXL's in C#.

post photo for forum