I love the JVM, is there any other Marshall amp with as much gain

• Thread starter Nic LP
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nic LP

Reaction score
Hi.

I'm looking for a used JVM head right now and I'm wondering if there's other Marshall amps that compares to the JVM in terms of distortion. I would like to have that much gain. Is there anything else I should look at ?

:dude:

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
the YJM100 seems to have more gain on tap then the JVM... but this is only because of a built in solid state boost
throw any pedal in front of any marshall and you get the same results
as for amounts of gain from a tube only signal path, there is no other marshall capable of delivering it...
i'd say the DSL/TSL and the 900SLX are the next in line
i was surprised at how many the 900DR could deliver, but again this is solid state circuitry, combined with tubes... same thing on the 2205/2210 circuits and the jubilee

as for other brands of high gain amps, they're only good for playing percussions... marshall still is the best amp for playing guitar

Nic LP

Reaction score
the YJM100 seems to have more gain on tap then the JVM... but this is only because of a built in solid state boost
as for amounts of gain from a tube only signal path, there is no other marshall capable of delivering it...
i was surprised at how many the 900DR could deliver, but again this is solid state circuitry, combined with tubes... same thing on the 2205/2210 circuits and the jubilee

as for other brands of high gain amps, they're only good for playing percussions... marshall still is the best amp for playing guitar

Well I had a TSL100 before and didn't like it at all. I guess I'll have to stick to the JVM, this thing felt like a beast when I tried it at the music store. The clean channel was not that good though. But I mostly play metal so I don't really care !

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
JVM410`s are great...you can set it so you can switch from a Les Paul to a Strat and make it sound like the Strat has more power than the LP all without touching a dial. That combination of 3 gain settings within each of the 4 channels and then having dual MV's ALL of which is footswitchable. If you are in a covers band playing a wide range of material they are ideal. :dude:

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I had a TSL100 before and didn't like it at all. I guess I'll have to stick to the JVM, this thing felt like a beast when I tried it at the music store. The clean channel was not that good though. But I mostly play metal so I don't really care !

the JVM needs a bias re-adjustment... it's set pretty cold from the factory...

V-man

Reaction score

Truer words have rarely been spoken. I thought my aversion for Modern Metal may have been a byproduct of Oldfartitis. I'm starting to see signs now that more is at play. Aside from the abruptly changed jerky tempos that remind me of old people fucking, and other technique-based criticisms, The tone is something I really dislike. A lot of their non-percussive chug (read: sweepsturbating) sounds like fucking 80s arcade music. If the tone deteriorates even further it will rival synth. The lastest offender: ENGLs

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
How many gain stages does the JVM use?

4 at max, but compared with the DSL for instance, most of them have plate resistors of 220K vs 100K on most of the gain stages on the DSL
also the cathode follower's cathode resistor is very low at 47K vs 100K on the DSL, which all adds up... therefore the JVM has more gain on tap then the DSL even though it has 1 gainstage less

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont think there are ANY other tube amps with as much gain let alone a Marshall.
Peavey 6505/5150
XXX/3120
Engl (INVADER,Powerball,fireball etc)
Framus Dragon and Cobra
many,many more.

none are Marshalls though.

and to answer the OP the DSL has the same amount of gain but, it sounds like less. That's my understanding.

could be wrong though.

Frankie

Reaction score
Makes sense. I played a JVM and was blown away at how modern it sounded. I kinda liked it.

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
Makes sense. I played a JVM and was blown away at how modern it sounded. I kinda liked it.

yeah, they really wanted something to compete with other high gain monsters, but they didn't ignore their legacy, so classic sounds are at the ready as well... it's just up to the player to explore all its possibility's, which sometimes involves setting up the amp we're not really used to

also, against popular believe the JVM is a great platform to mod as well if you have the need for it... mine is still stock though... i only placed a quad of KT77's in there along with some preamp tube changes and feed the amp with a variac set at 240Vac... the 220Vac we're getting here is too low in my opinion
biggest improvement was the bias reset, as they are set very cold from the factory

JayCM800

Reaction score
Check a 2203KK! Maybe not as much gain as a JVM, but usable, all of it!!
marshall-kerry-king-1-460-80.jpg

Frankie

Reaction score
I just played one at the store, so it was stock, on 75's. I had some Schecter with EMG's plugged into it on the red channel. It was intense.

Wiseblood

Reaction score
Hi.

I'm looking for a used JVM head right now and I'm wondering if there's other Marshall amps that compares to the JVM in terms of distortion. I would like to have that much gain. Is there anything else I should look at ?

:dude:

I have a JVM 410 Head available. I'm in Toronto $1250

It is completely dead mint and the tubes are fresh. Comes with the footswitch. Do you ever make it out to Toronto?

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
I just played one at the store, so it was stock, on 75's. I had some Schecter with EMG's plugged into it on the red channel. It was intense.

when santiago designed it, he used several modified JCM800 2203's (one for each channel) while using a standard 1960 cab with 75's and a guitar with regular output pups... needless to say the goal was high gain
they tried all sorts of things and possibility's with it and at the end, when they had to choose which of all the options would end up in the production model, they simply picked all of them :) that's how we got a 4 channel / 12 mode amplifier

next up will be the satch-sig JVM, which according to some things already revealed looks promising :)

Latest posts