• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

I need a speaker recommendation

• Thread starter Nuts
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nuts

Reaction score
Hello everyone !
I have a 2X12 Marshall 1936 cab that has 2 celestion G12T75.
When I play guitar solos on the distortion channel- the high notes sounds thin with too much high end
I want to change one of the speakers to something with less treble than the G12T75
I don't know anything about speaker models, and what wattage or ohms does it need to be
So what speaker would match a 2 X 12 cab with one G12T75 ?
Thanks !

maico996

Reaction score
Are your T75s old or new? I ask because I have some cabs with T75s from '87 and '84 and they don't sound thin at all. Brighter when compared to my cabs with G12-65s from '82 and '84, but definitely not thin.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone !
I have a 2X12 Marshall 1936 cab that has 2 celestion G12T75.
When I play guitar solos on the distortion channel- the high notes sounds thin with too much high end
I want to change one of the speakers to something with less treble than the G12T75
I don't know anything about speaker models, and what wattage or ohms does it need to be
So what speaker would match a 2 X 12 cab with one G12T75 ?
Thanks !
Stock speakers in the 1936 are 16 ohm, so you want to get the same impedance if you want to replace just one.
The 2 x 75 watt speakers give the cab a 150w power handling capacity.
Replacing one of the speakers with a different power handling value will result in the cab being rated at 2 x the lower value of the two.

As to what speaker is going to give you the tones you are after depends on a lot of factors.
Your guitar, pickups, effects and amp are all part of the tone that comes out of the speakers.

Nuts

Reaction score
Are your T75s old or new? I ask because I have some cabs with T75s from '87 and '84 and they don't sound thin at all. Brighter when compared to my cabs with G12-65s from '82 and '84, but definitely not thin.
yea, maybe thin is not the right word...I'm looking for something darker :)
I'm not sure how old they are, I bought them 2nd hand, 10 years ago

Nuts

Reaction score
Stock speakers in the 1936 are 16 ohm, so you want to get the same impedance if you want to replace just one.
The 2 x 75 watt speakers give the cab a 150w power handling capacity.
Replacing one of the speakers with a different power handling value will result in the cab being rated at 2 x the lower value of the two.

As to what speaker is going to give you the tones you are after depends on a lot of factors.
Your guitar, pickups, effects and amp are all part of the tone that comes out of the speakers.
Thank you !
Yea of course, everything matters in the signal chain.
it's just sounds brighter than another cab that I have and love, So I'm trying to improve it

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Redback. Especially for soloing. Shore up that thinness for sure. Won't lower wattage capability and can take a beating.

Not to be negative but Creambacks set back too much. I like a ballzier up front sound.

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
You would think speakers that old would have broken in so I can only imagine what they must have sounded like new. I would say Greenbacks would help but Marshalls and ear-slicing seem to come with the territory with some models in some environments.

Good luck in your search to tame the high-end. A good quest.

Nuts

Reaction score
Um..., well..., what's in the other cab?
So the other cab used to be a Marshall TSL JCM2000 122 combo, but I removed the amp, and now it's just a cab.
It has two different speakers, which is why I also want my 1936 cab to have two different speakers.
it has 'Marshall G12 Vintage Celestion' and 'Marshall G12 Heritage Celestion'

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ah, supposedly a great speaker pairing - not available retail except in the JVMC212 (I think...)
I have a G12 Heritage (16 ohm) I pulled from my JTM30.
Put those speakers in the 1936, and put the T-75's in the TSL combo/cab conversion. :yesway:

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I personally don't care for G12-75's. They have a good low end, but are also a bit mid-scooped with an annoying high end sizzle (at least, to my ears). Replacing one of them with a Creamback or Greenback would help, but if it were mine, I'd replace both of them.

Last edited:

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
So the other cab used to be a Marshall TSL JCM2000 122 combo, but I removed the amp, and now it's just a cab.
It has two different speakers, which is why I also want my 1936 cab to have two different speakers.
I have four TSL JCM2000 2x12 open back cabinets. They are awesome with the Vintage and Heritage combo.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
I have a 1936 w/G12T75's, and "thin" would be the last description I would ever use. Admittedly, I'm one of the few here on the forum that loves them, so maybe take what I say with a grain of salt. Seriously though, it's a badass cabinet.

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
I have a 1936 w/G12T75's, and "thin" would be the last description I would ever use. Admittedly, I'm one of the few here on the forum that loves them, so maybe take what I say with a grain of salt. Seriously though, it's a badass cabinet.
I like them and have some of the little brother, 1922 cabinets.
They mix well with the JCM2000 TSLC212 and Silver Jubilee Vintage speaker combo setups.

Central Scrutinizer

Misanthropic Humanitarian
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 1936 cab that originally had The G12T-75s as well.
They were not to my liking for the same reason you expressed.

They were replaced with a Warehouse ET-65, and a Warehouse Veteran 30, 60 watt model. This pairing did bring down the maximum wattage for the Cab. from 150 watts to 120/125 watts, so there is that.

To pair up with one of your G12T-75s, I would go for the ET-65 and try that.

They are an excellent blend of speakers and handle everything from Kossoff, Green, Metallica , Scorpions to Texas Blues.

Plus they are slightly cheaper than Celestions, which I have and love in other Cabs.

Good luck in your quest.

Last edited: