• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

I need help with amp heads cabinets cause am clueless >.< please help guys :( !!!

• Thread starter raddy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

raddy

Reaction score
hey guys i was in a shop and i see this awsome MG100hdfx amp head with a halfstack ( the one which is usually there with the mg100 heads am sorry am not good with gear >.< ) and thn i go online and they are like naw dont spend your money on this man go for the 1960 Lead cabinet. Now it sounds nice but what amp head shud i take with that ???? i am totally clueless what is a JCM 900 800 2000 and since yesterday i used to think that amp heads have little speakers in them ( yeah i noe i am bad at gear i just saw the mg100hdfx head yesterday ) yeah and i gig and cover Batio , al di meola , john mc laughlin , charlie christian , vai , satriani and thn alll the HEAVIER shit :headbanger: my guitars are MAB1 armorflame and a customised guitar me and my frend made with EMG 81/85 pickups and a PA-20 gain booster. I also have a BOSS GT-10 processor ( so yeah FX is not a place am hankering after) So yeah these 1960 lead cabs sound good and am interested in buying them but am clueless what head i shud take man... :wtf: please help guys am not really a smart person with gear i just play and live for music. ( funnily am good at tweaking the amps tho :D ) so help me out. my email is heartofmayhem@hotmail.com and yeah please please help me guys. hope for the best:fingersx: i play metal , clean , jazz , blues , rock , pschdelic , classical etc. thanx in advance.

P.S. m posting this in the cabinet forum too cause its about cabinets too >.< thnx :D

Eag

Reaction score
Woah woah woah!!!!

Let's slow down.

If you can afford more than an MG let's look at some of the better options.

Ok, we know you need an amp that can do super jazzy clean to metal, right? That leaves out the classics and plexi type reissues unless you like to use pedals. If you want the amp to do all your sounds, or most of them, by itself, you might like any of the following:

the JCM2000 Dual Super Leads (DSL50 and DSL100)
the JCM900 SL-X (not sure about the cleans, maybe someone who has one can chime in)
any of the JVM series

If you stomp on pedals for gain and OD your amp choices will be much wider and can include the Vintage Modern, any JCM800 or JMP ...the 2203, 2204, 1959, 1987 and many other incarnations.

The best thing to do is to get to the store and try them, and it will become immediately apparent which ones you like.

Same with cabs, but a few less choices. You might like the 1960 with G1275s or with V30s. You might like an MF400 with G12100K speakers, these are great for giant cleans all the way to screaming and the heaviest chugging. Play them and choose for yourself.

If your budget is tight, tell us how tight and we can go in other directions

steelhorse

Reaction score
I agree with what Eag recommended.

The SLX-2100 can do cleans ok but it's really a hard rock/metal monster for less 'animal' of an amp go with the DSL and for the ultimate variety the JVM is the word.

riffdrive

Reaction score
hey guys i was in a shop and i see this awsome MG100hdfx amp head with a halfstack ( the one which is usually there with the mg100 heads am sorry am not good with gear >.< ) and thn i go online and they are like naw dont spend your money on this man go for the 1960 Lead cabinet. Now it sounds nice but what amp head shud i take with that ???? i am totally clueless what is a JCM 900 800 2000 and since yesterday i used to think that amp heads have little speakers in them ( yeah i noe i am bad at gear i just saw the mg100hdfx head yesterday ) yeah and i gig and cover Batio , al di meola , john mc laughlin , charlie christian , vai , satriani and thn alll the HEAVIER shit :headbanger: my guitars are MAB1 armorflame and a customised guitar me and my frend made with EMG 81/85 pickups and a PA-20 gain booster. I also have a BOSS GT-10 processor ( so yeah FX is not a place am hankering after) So yeah these 1960 lead cabs sound good and am interested in buying them but am clueless what head i shud take man... :wtf: please help guys am not really a smart person with gear i just play and live for music. ( funnily am good at tweaking the amps tho :D ) so help me out. my email is heartofmayhem@hotmail.com and yeah please please help me guys. hope for the best:fingersx: i play metal , clean , jazz , blues , rock , pschdelic , classical etc. thanx in advance.

P.S. m posting this in the cabinet forum too cause its about cabinets too >.< thnx :D

There are so many contradictions in this post I don't even know where to start :confused:

raddy

Reaction score
idk shoot something man i am getting the 1960 lead full stack i just want to know which head is good i can't get any from here so i have to import one so i need to know which is good

raddy

Reaction score
i readlly honestly don't know anything about heads and nor can i hear them cause well i have to import them all so i need some suggestions guys >.<

riffdrive

Reaction score
If you have to import and amp (and not be able to play through it first), you're probably going to wind up disappointed if you take suggestions from people on the Internet. Tone is so subjective - what sounds good to me probably won't sound good to you.

A much better way to go would be to say, "I'm looking for tone that sounds like so and so", then it's much easier for folks here to give you suggestions on how to get close with an amp. But honestly what you're playing really runs the gamut, so I'd say you need an all-around amp, not a one-trick pony.

I'd recommend a DSL 50 or DSL 100. Great cleans to saturated shred and everything in between. Does a decent job at everything. However, if you have the cash, I'd go for a 4-channel JVM. They really will do anything, and sound phenomenal, but they're pricey.

raddy

Reaction score
and i have chosen on the cabs it's gonna be the 1960 lead cabinet :D

Ken

Reaction score
and i have chosen on the cabs it's gonna be the 1960 lead cabinet :D

Cabinets make a huge difference. If you get a 50 watt head, you might consider vintage speakers. I also was going to get a 1960 with the starndard 75 watt jobs, but then I found a 1982 with vintage 30's and with my 50 watt DSL it's a match made in heaven. I had been playing through a Crate 4x12 with the band and a PRO 4x12 at home. The no name PRO is actually better than the Crate, which I hated but it was already in the studio and I'm lazy about hauling equipment...but the Marshall blows both away. The quality of the cabinet and speakers really do the amp justice! so I would pay attention to the speaker types and wattages with how it works for your particular amp.

Ken

Ken

Reaction score
dude my marshall options are limited :(

Then look for old beat up cabinets with quality speakers and construction. Don't buy the new Marshall 412 crap even though they sell for $150 on eBay and say "Marshall" on them. There's a reason they sell so cheap!

I've seen 1960 cabs go for under $400 with torn tolex, holes in the grill but the speakers are fine and they sound great compared to low budget stuff.

Ken

riffdrive

Reaction score
You might want to check out some Peavey cabs. Just about any music store stocks them - they're relatively cheap, they're tough as nails, and most of them sound really good. I have a Peavey 412MS with Sheffield 1290s and it sounds fantastic with my DSL 50. 300-watt handling, switchable between 16-ohm (mono) or 8-ohm (stereo). Metal grille that's made for years of bar gigs, and I think it looks pretty badass too ;)