• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

I ordered a new electric guitar amplifier

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
Gonna be 6-8 weeks. There is a certain dealer out there selling these for $200 over the standard red one. But unless for some reason you need it this week, any other Friedman dealer can order one for the same price as red.

View attachment 148221
Really want one of these , killer plexi , 800 and modded 800 all in one box what’s not to like 👍

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
Gonna be 6-8 weeks. There is a certain dealer out there selling these for $200 over the standard red one. But unless for some reason you need it this week, any other Friedman dealer can order one for the same price as red.

View attachment 148221

Ya know,

I'd love to be a convinced convert to EL84s, but…..? It seems that every amp utilizing EL84 power tubes seems to have a certain, almost "undefinable" characteristic of causing ear fatigue, while lacking a bit of overall depth of sound. Many sound fantastic, at first and at face value, but long term use cause ears to become tired. I'm not sure if this is inherent to the tube itself, or if it simply the product of what many folks do to the circuitry to get certain sounds out of those tubes? I really hope it works well for you!
Still Crankin'
Gene

Kutt

Reaction score
Ya know,

I'd love to be a convinced convert to EL84s, but…..? It seems that every amp utilizing EL84 power tubes seems to have a certain, almost "undefinable" characteristic of causing ear fatigue, while lacking a bit of overall depth of sound. Many sound fantastic, at first and at face value, but long term use cause ears to become tired. I'm not sure if this is inherent to the tube itself, or if it simply the product of what many folks do to the circuitry to get certain sounds out of those tubes? I really hope it works well for you!
Still Crankin'
Gene
I've read a handful of other players write the same thing. I myself have not heard any shortcomings. And this isn't me defending my new purchase- I have a many many amps with almost all the major output tube types so I am receptive to criticism. With EL84's I have a Fender Pro Jr., all of the EVH LBX amps, and a Friedman JJ Jr. To my ears the amps are designed around EL84's and they just work. Maybe my sample size is too small.

I suppose if you compare and contrast them to another tube type (namely EL34) you can come up with negative characteristics but that is true of any tube.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
I've read a handful of other players write the same thing. I myself have not heard any shortcomings. And this isn't me defending my new purchase- I have a many many amps with almost all the major output tube types so I am receptive to criticism. With EL84's I have a Fender Pro Jr., all of the EVH LBX amps, and a Friedman JJ Jr. To my ears the amps are designed around EL84's and they just work. Maybe my sample size is too small.

I suppose if you compare and contrast them to another tube type (namely EL34) you can come up with negative characteristics but that is true of any tube.

Yeah, it is an odd phenomenon for sure and not always audibly discernible and quite difficult to put ones' finger on. It occurs over time, often a couple/few hours of playing. Nearly all amps will cause such fatigue, if & when the volume/SPL is high enough, it just seems a bit more prevalent and/or pronounced with EL84 powered amps. I think it may be a certain, specific peak somewhere in the upper mids/highs that is often equated to clarity and sparkle.
Again, Best Wishes For Your Use,
Gene

Kutt

Reaction score
Arrived! Far ahead of schedule. We say that Marshalls need to be cranked up to sound proper, and it's also very true of these 20w Friedmans. This little bastard is incredibly loud and incredibly percussive sounding. Sounds a tad muffled below 8:00 on the dial, but get it at 9:00 or higher and it starts bleeding the goods. Does not sound nearly as good attenuated (Tube Amp Expander). It just really wants to be plugged straight into a real cabinet.

Still in the honeymoon phase.

1712179490754.png

gtpvfr

Reaction score

View attachment 148221
Cool aesthetics! I was sleeping at the switch when the JEL100 came out but now the price is bonkers. I may send my BE-100 deluxe back to Friedman for the “Jake Mod” .

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya know,

Still Crankin'
Gene

This is very real. Not everyone seems to be able to hear it, but those that do know what I'm saying. I hear a really annoying high frequency buried in the sound that can't be dialed out, it's always there no matter what I do. I have bad tinnitus and whenever I would play an el84 amp my ears would ring like crazy and after playing for a while it was almost painful. I had the same issue with every el84 amp I've ever owned, but I didn't know, I was swapping pickups and speakers and was blaming all sorts of things. It's the reason I got rid of a lot of the amps I owned over the years, but I was just blaming the amp in general, had no idea at the time it was really the el84s. Once I realized it was the el84s and got rid of them I haven't had the problem since. It's the only reason I sold my Class 5s, I love those amps, and it's the reason I had Terry convert my Cameron/Jose HG build to 6v6 power tubes.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Oops sorry, didn't mean to bash your new amp, I had opened this thread, but walked away to do something and when I came back I didn't even realize what thread I was in. I read Gene's post and thought someone was wanting to convert an amp to el84s so I added my 2 cents. I hope you love it!

:hippie:

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
This is very real. Not everyone seems to be able to hear it, but those that do know what I'm saying. I hear a really annoying high frequency buried in the sound that can't be dialed out, it's always there no matter what I do. I have bad tinnitus and whenever I would play an el84 amp my ears would ring like crazy and after playing for a while it was almost painful. I had the same issue with every el84 amp I've ever owned, but I didn't know, I was swapping pickups and speakers and was blaming all sorts of things. It's the reason I got rid of a lot of the amps I owned over the years, but I was just blaming the amp in general, had no idea at the time it was really the el84s. Once I realized it was the el84s and got rid of them I haven't had the problem since. It's the only reason I sold my Class 5s, I love those amps, and it's the reason I had Terry convert my Cameron/Jose HG build to 6v6 power tubes.

It's NOT necessarily a bad sound by any means. A VOX AC30 can certainly help an electric guitar produce some of the most glorious sounds in the universe (for one long or possibly two short sets), but I can only imagine the fatigue of having one in your ears, in person and close proximity for three or four long sets! That character that helps it "cut through" a mix is the same character that can cause ears to become tired and sore!

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
Ya know,

Still Crankin'
Gene
Never noticed this el84 ‘ thing ‘ you speak of tbh .

Kutt

Reaction score
Oops sorry, didn't mean to bash your new amp, I had opened this thread, but walked away to do something and when I came back I didn't even realize what thread I was in. I read Gene's post and thought someone was wanting to convert an amp to el84s so I added my 2 cents. I hope you love it!

:hippie:

You're not even close to bashing. You're just chiming in. That's what we do here. Besides, I think I've only been offended maybe twice in my life and it surely wasn't anything to do with guitar gear. :)

Arrested Dev

Reaction score
Wow, I remember when these came out and I thought.... "not sure I can deal with that red.. if only it came in black." This post is the first I've been made aware of this color option... hmmmm

Latest posts