I played a PRS McCarty yesterday...

• Thread starter mike mike
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mike mike

Reaction score
dear god. Why did the manager show me that guitar??? it was a 2004, had a rosewood NECK(not just the fretboard) gold hardware, and oh so amazing tone. and it was even tuned down half a step with new strings, as if they wanted me to buy it. too bad I just bought a PRS a week ago :( such an amazing guitar. I recommend it to all of you. anyone here have one?

Hollowbody

Reaction score
I play a PRS McCarty spruce hollowbody. After I got that guitar I never looked back.

I am building a strat copy just to have something with single coils but in the past I have had 2 strats and 2 les pauls.

tresmarshallz

Reaction score
I bought one new in 2004-ish, and love it. I thought it was lacking a little with the stock McCarty bass/treble pickups, so I put a set of custom wound WB's in it and I think it will always be my number one guitar, it makes ALL my amps sound fantastic, the most organic/woody tone ever.

I owned several PRS before getting the McCarty and always ended up wanting to get rid of them, but once I got the McCarty I was hooked for life, if this one ever got broken I would begin scheming on how to immediately get another one.

Hollowbody

Reaction score
I stay away from rich people's guitars...

I know what you mean. A lot of them aren't even players. Insane prices for custom shop guitars that just sit in a glass case.

I got my McCarty for $2,600, for me that is a shitload but it plays so nice. I could have spent the same amount on another guitar but it wasn't about brand name, it was all about the feel the tone and the craftsmanship.

JayCM800

Reaction score
I know what you mean. A lot of them aren't even players. Insane prices for custom shop guitars that just sit in a glass case.

I got my McCarty for $2,600, for me that is a shitload but it plays so nice. I could have spent the same amount on another guitar but it wasn't about brand name, it was all about the feel the tone and the craftsmanship.
If you play it regularly and enjoy the instrument you can't go wrong! If you 're afraid to even expose it to UV light (real story!) then to me it's a waste of money, but i guess if you're rich, $2600 to you is like $260 to me or $26 to others, so...to each his own!

I would love to get a "Private Reserve" guitar, hack it for a Floyd Rose, give 'er the punk-stickers treatment, burn my cigarette on the headstock and let sweat, blood and beer gunk up all over!! :dude::dude::dude:

mike mike

Reaction score
If you play it regularly and enjoy the instrument you can't go wrong! If you 're afraid to even expose it to UV light (real story!) then to me it's a waste of money, but i guess if you're rich, $2600 to you is like $260 to me or $26 to others, so...to each his own!

I would love to get a "Private Reserve" guitar, hack it for a Floyd Rose, give 'er the punk-stickers treatment, burn my cigarette on the headstock and let sweat, blood and beer gunk up all over!! :dude::dude::dude:

bingo. guitars need to be players first, and collectors items second. If i spend money on a guitar, It will be played every day.

JTyson

Reaction score
Love McCartys, got 2 of them, I looked for awhile and got them used at great prices, once I found the right pups to go in them, I never looked back
I will say I hate the stock pickups. I went through 2 years of trying out Lollar Imperial Highwinds, Duncan JB's and distortions, EMG's (81/85) Andersons (h2+, H3+) and Suhr Aldrich's before settling on a Tremonti/RP combo, its fantastic. The Tremonti is hot but not compressed, open and really clear and cuts in a mix really well. The mid responce is very detailed. The RP is a dream neck pickup in a McCarty, those 2 together have turned out to be a lethal combo.
McCartys have turned out to be my favorite PRS stuff by far (aside from a old Modern Eagle I've had for awhile), I've had CU22's and 24's, they just dont have the thickness or balls that a McCarty has
Great stuff

bluesymetal

Reaction score
I think McCarty's are meant to be players though, especially non ten top's or plain tops... I don't own any PRS, but have in the past, they make a great guitar. CE's are amazing and can be had for under 1K. I don't think they are that terribly over priced for the quality you are getting. I do hate it when people buy a killer guitar to just sit in a case or hang on a wall though... they are meant to be played...

JTyson

Reaction score
I think McCarty's are meant to be players though, especially non ten top's or plain tops... I don't own any PRS, but have in the past, they make a great guitar. CE's are amazing and can be had for under 1K. I don't think they are that terribly over priced for the quality you are getting. I do hate it when people buy a killer guitar to just sit in a case or hang on a wall though... they are meant to be played...

Agreed, thats the impression I got from day one. My McCartys have only gotten better over time. I have an old Modern Eagle that should have been a case queen, but I have played the crap out of it over the years, it has gotten much better with age, dings and scratches. That thing drips mojo:)

Hollowbody

Reaction score
...If you 're afraid to even expose it to UV light (real story!) then to me it's a waste of money...

I can just see it now.

either:
Special UV lotion for your high dollar axe.

or go the other way:
Fender Gibson and PRS UV mojo series for only $1k more. "These fine instruments have been exposed to juuust the right amount of sunlight for the perfect vibe".

:)

ToneZone100

Reaction score
I went to a PRS evening at my local guitar store a couple of years back where Simon McBride played a bunch of "off the peg" USA models and the PRS rep also brought along a brace of private stock models. :hmm:

There were about 30 people in the audiance and some of us got to play on the guitars, albeit unplugged. :naughty: My GAS has never been sooo bad. I eventually succumbed and bought my PRS SE Paul Allender as my wife would have strung me up if I came back home with a USA model! I think mine is on the wall somewhere behind him.

Here a flavour of the evening.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvowH6KQrlY]‪Simon McBride plays PRS 513 at GJ's Guitar Emporium‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6NBcmYQjaU]‪Simon McBride plays PRS SC245 1957/2008 at GJ's Guitar Emporium‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

eaglewolf

Reaction score
I played a McCarty Korina with a Braz board (but mahogany neck) and P90's, and it ended up coming home with me. Took a few weeks to convince myself to do it, but for $2000 (new) I decided to go for it. Great guitar.

My Telecaster has become my favorite player, but the McCarty still impresses me every time I play it.

David

Latest posts