I think I bought the wrong Cabs.

• Thread starter DirtySteve
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Creambacks (M65 & H75) get mixed reviews from me.

I think they both take FOREVER to break in, compared to the 20/25W Ms and 30W Hs (and even the V30).

I sort of liked the M65 with my DSL40C in the combo cab but it was distant and muffled sounding in my EVH 2x12. The H75 did not sound good in the combo cab for me, and sounded much better in the 2x12.

Around the time I was also using 70th Annis and experimenting with Mojotone and WGS H30 clones. Once broken in, I think the 70th Annis sounded better than the H75, and the Mojotone H30 sounded better than all of them (but the now defunct heritage greenback H30s, both varieties, sound better to me than all of the previously mentioned) . But I also suffered some mild hearing loss in my left ear after using 70th anni H30s for an extended time- there is a spike in those that will absolutely wreck you if you are not careful. All the others are less aggressive (except for maybe the Reaper).

Bottom line- Ifeel you need to voice an amp and cab from the get-go around a creamback, either variety, for best results, otherwise they are very finnicky.
I love the Mojotone H30 with my SC. My other amps too but really sets the SC800 aside in the mids/treble. Been using it in a 112 OS cab. More volume i add the more it opens up. Very happy i tried a pair. Sound great in a 212 as well.

I agree with you about the Anni H30's. That spike can hurt. Ive got 2 in an Orange 412 along with Mojotone 25's. H30's bottom, 25's top. Sounds phenominal and not getting my ear drums pricked.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NickKUK

Reaction score
MDF isn’t hard to cut but
a) wear a mask to prevent inhalation of the fibers and glue in the dust.
b) use a vacuum to keep the dust down
c) cut and don’t attempt to snap bits to finish a cut.
d) be prepared to sharpen/replace the blade/drill faster than normal plywood/wood.

You will want something to clamp and put a plastic sheet in the corner and clamp against a 90 corner.

Titebond 1/2/3 will work.

Other than that you’re set.

I’d probably make interlocking edges so you get a stronger joint.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
MDF isn’t hard to cut but
a) wear a mask to prevent inhalation of the fibers and glue in the dust.
b) use a vacuum to keep the dust down
c) cut and don’t attempt to snap bits to finish a cut.
d) be prepared to sharpen/replace the blade/drill faster than normal plywood/wood.

You will want something to clamp and put a plastic sheet in the corner and clamp against a 90 corner.

Titebond 1/2/3 will work.

Other than that you’re set.

I’d probably make interlocking edges so you get a stronger joint.
He's just wanting to cut a back panel, nothing crazy. I think the Home Depot or whatever will cut it for him.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
My local GC has a used EVH 5150 212 cab listed for $379, marked down from $479.. Not exactly the look I had in mind, but at this point I don't care, I just want a cab that sounds good. If I don't like it they also have a Victoria 212, (but they want too much for it IMO..$900) and a couple of Victoria 112s I want to check out. I'd be all over the Victoria 112s but they don't match (tolex color) and they are narrower than my head box by a couple of inches so I don't know about that.

Unless somebody tells me any of these cabs suck I've got both my MX cabs ready to take down tomorrow and trade in. They have a few more cabs I saw listed as well, an SC112 and I don't remember right off what else.

The EVH is birch ply, the Victorias are Redwood Pine (whatever that is), made in the UK and looks like they come with V30s. I'd never heard of them before.

Last edited:

jeffb

Reaction score
I've had the EVH 2x12 for 10+ years as my main..only..cab.

It's a good cab. It's a little darker and thumpier than a Marshall 1936 or other "normal" size 2x12s. the EVH is a little deeper so it adds some lows. I think the grill cloth they use probably adds to the slightly darker tone. I've been tempted lover the past year or so to just rip it off, but I'm pretty happy lately after making some other rig changes. I do think at medium and lower volumes it sounds better with brighter mid forward speakers, like the 70th Anniversaries it came with, or V30s, or current bright UK made G12M25s. At loud volumes, I used to run the G12M20 EVH and they were fine- but at low/mid volume they are too dark and distant in this cab. My understanding in recent years is that it comes with EVH branded H30s, but I don't think I've seen a definitive answer whether the EVH branded H30s are the exact same as the 70th. Maybe someone else here knows.

Compared to anything else in it's price range, it's a great cab, The other I would suggest is the Hughes & Kettner 2x12 with V30s- they are around the same price.

Here's an OLD pic several months after I got it ( I was taking a pic of my new amp--tag still on it,lol)
resizeEVH2014TradOR15.jpg

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
If I do get the EVH I thought unless the Annis blow me away I'll be putting Creambacks in it. Or a M65 paired with the H75 I have coming. I like the size of the EVH. What are those things on the top? They look like knobs, but I know they aren't. Is it just to stack 2 cabs (or the head) and lock them in?

jeffb

Reaction score
What are those things on the top? They look like knobs, but I know they aren't. Is it just to stack 2 cabs (or the head) and lock them in?
Yes, that's to attach the 50W EVH head so that when you use the tilt back legs, it stays put.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, my dumbass thought GC didn't open 'til 11 today, but it turns out they opened at 10 am. The EVH sold first thing this morning, I wasn't the only one looking at it. Well, I took that as a sign that it wasn't meant to be, I don't think I need a heavy 212 to lug around anyway.

So I ordered a Mojotone Heritage 112. It's the perfect size and look I want for a 112. If it's as good as I hope it is I'll probably order another one down the road after I sell some stuff. I know it's a bit pricey, but quality is, and from all I've researched about these cabs they are top quality. It was $475 with free delivery and with what most are charging for delivery on things these days I figure I only payed $375 for it. ..that makes sense, right? :D

Last edited:

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Got the cab today. It's 10x better than the MX 112! It sounds really good and looks just like I wanted it to. :dude:

I also received the H75 Creamback from Paul today. If the M65 is a sponge, the H75 is a brick, :lol: maybe I didn't buy the wrong Creambacks after all, but I need to try it mixed with a M65 and so far I haven't done that. Jury is still out...:D

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
So it looks like I'm not going to be able to live without a 212 cab now that I've had one, but the MX cab has to go. Anybody heard when new Marshall cabs are supposed to start shipping? Sweet water says in a few weeks. I need to trade my MX 212 for an SC or SV 212.

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the cab today. It's 10x better than the MX 112! It sounds really good and looks just like I wanted it to. :dude:

I also received the H75 Creamback from Paul today. If the M65 is a sponge, the H75 is a brick, :lol: maybe I didn't buy the wrong Creambacks after all, but I need to try it mixed with a M65 and so far I haven't done that. Jury is still out...:D

Damn, now you have me looking at new 1x12's. Upgrade what I have. You, you, you.... :lol:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score

So what's the deal, how's it going with the speakers and the cabinets?

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
So what's the deal, how's it going with the speakers and the cabinets?
I have the 75 you sent me in my Sourmash cab and a 65 in the new cab. I want to try them together in the 212, but I hate to put them in the MX cab, I'd rather wait until I can get a SC212. They sound good together running both 112 cabs, but I can't use my JohnH with both cabs until I get a couple of more speaker cables. I've gotten so used to using the John H that having to turn the amp volume down the amp doesn't sound as good. I ordered cables and they should be here tomorrow.

I got one of these.. https://www.amazon.com/PALMER-PCABM...x=palmer+passive+cabinet+merger,aps,54&sr=8-1

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those Palmer series / parallel boxes are a nice gadget to have around.
Most amps, and some cabs, do the parallel thing, but the series option can be quite useful sometimes.
I just got me one couple days ago. Thanks for mentioning in a previous post.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got me one couple days ago. Thanks for mentioning in a previous post.
Built a similar contraption into a cab recently with a second jack and a switch.
Two 8 ohm cabs for my 5100 - combo chassis only has one external speaker jack.
Top cab jack goes up to the amp, bottom jack to 2nd cab.
I can switch between parallel 4 ohm for full 100w power from the amp, or series 16 oh for about half power.

PXL_20240907_213106031.MP.jpg

Latest posts