I think I bought the wrong Cabs.

• Thread starter DirtySteve
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I GAS'ed out. I bought an SC112 today. Be here next week probably. Brand new.

Thanks Steve. You........ :scream:

Where the hell am I going to put it!?!?!?!?!

View attachment 157345

:lol:
Under your combo?

The only reason I didn't buy the SC 112 is because it's too narrow to put under my Lil' Devil. The Mojotone cab is a little wider at 22". I'm going to get the headbox redone black.

XeWvHGT.jpg

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Under your combo?

The only reason I didn't buy the SC 112 is because it's too narrow to put under my Lil' Devil. The Mojotone cab is a little wider at 22". I'm going to get the headbox redone black.

XeWvHGT.jpg
Meantime just spray paint the white amp black, it might grow on ya and not even replace it. I still think you just need a proper 1936 cab and get rid of the rest.

TXOldRedRocker

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Under your combo?

No. I have my Marshall's set up like you see in the picture. Other amps and pedalboards elsewhere in the room.

The Marshall 1x12 in the lower left is an MX112R. I want to put the speaker that's in it into the new SC112. But I'd like to keep the MX112R out and put into it a speaker I have in a box. But where to put both? Maybe the Rivera,(and its pedalboard) will get moved, but I have no good place for it. My playing space is PACKED!

Marshalls202409.jpg

BTW, one of the components on top is a de Lisle Amp-Seaker Selector 4x4 Pro. I can have 4 of anything, and easily switch. I only have 2 independent cabs, so I can add the new one to the mix, and switch between them quite easily.

Also, the SC20C, in the lower right, can be played independently, or as the right side of stereo with the left being any of the heads in the picture.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok so, I got my speaker cables today and hooked up both my 112 cabs to the JohnH using the cab merger box and it works perfectly. Yay! Thanks @fitz for telling me about that box, I thought I was going to have to put another jack in one of the cabs to plug the second one into, but this was much better solution. :yesway:

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Meantime just spray paint the white amp black, it might grow on ya and not even replace it. I still think you just need a proper 1936 cab and get rid of the rest.
I just think I'll be much happier with an angled top vertical cab. Either way, they're all on back order and people are asking more for a used one (of either) than the new ones cost.

As for painting the head, I just think that would look so cheesy and from what I've researched on the subject, it's very hard to get paint to stick to tolex. Nah, I think I'm going to have a new box made because I have plans for the white one. It might be sacrilege, but my Harvard clone fit's in that headbox. I think I'm going to use it for that and put my Alnico Blue in the white cab to pair with it.

I have so many ideas and my plans keep evolving, I don't even know that I'm going to keep the Mojo cab I just bought before this is over. :lol:

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Run a cream 65 in a 1, I run two 76 in my 2x12. I really like them but it is up to the person
76? did you mean 75s? I'm not sure about the 75 yet, I didn't expect it to be so different from the 65. I think it's a feel thing more than anything else. I like a tight sounding, but spongy feeling bass...if that makes any sense. The 75 so far seems to be the opposite of that and it's got a brighter (maybe too much) top end, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I haven't played with it enough yet. I really think I need to get a 65 and a 75 in the same cab, I think they are going to compliment each other in that situation. I might just have to try them in my MX 212, just to see.

TXOldRedRocker

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't rolled speakers in a while, so I guess I'll be doing it a little bit too.

My MX212 has a Warehouse 50w Greenback clone. Love it! That'll go in the SC112.
My 2x12 has a Greenback and a Creamback 75 H. Rolled many speakers in that over the years. Had a Vintage 30 in it for a long time, but switched to the Greenback for more sizzle.
The SC20C has a 10" Creamback. Sounds great.

So I'll have an empty MX112 as well. I'll likely put an Eminence speaker in it, I think I have two or three in boxes. As my first tests. Marshall and Eminence can be a cool tone. I still have the V30 and I'm not sure what else.

GAS and tone tinkering, what an addiction so many of us have. :lol:

Cheers to others who know the feeling, :cheers:

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Been rolling speakers all afternoon including in my MX 212 to try it again. I put a 65 and a 75 in it and was not impressed. That cab just doesn't sound good to me anymore. It's dark and dull and muffled, like talking with your mouth full. I wonder if putting a plywood back on it might fix that.

I'm not happy with the sound I'm getting running my 2 112s together, there's something odd going on that I can't quite describe, but it's screwing with my ears. I tried a few different speakers in each cab and it didn't matter. Individually they each sound great, but together not so much. Maybe I need to spread them out or something, or maybe it's just me. :shrug:

A very pleasant surprise was putting my G12C Greenback in my Sourmash 112. The speaker sounds better now than any other cab I've put it in and that cab has never sounded so good! I think I need to leave that one alone now. So that changes my plan of putting an Alnico Blue in it to use with my Harvard, but that's ok.

Sorry if I'm repeating or contradicting myself, I feel like I am at times, but I can't remember where I've posted things and what circumstances have changed along the way. I believe there's some of that in this thread, but I've made comments elsewhere as well as on another forum and I can't keep up.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Been rolling speakers all afternoon including in my MX 212 to try it again. I put a 65 and a 75 in it and was not impressed. That cab just doesn't sound good to me anymore. It's dark and dull and muffled, like talking with your mouth full. I wonder if putting a plywood back on it might fix that.

I'm not happy with the sound I'm getting running my 2 112s together, there's something odd going on that I can't quite describe, but it's screwing with my ears. I tried a few different speakers in each cab and it didn't matter. Individually they each sound great, but together not so much. Maybe I need to spread them out or something, or maybe it's just me. :shrug:

A very pleasant surprise was putting my G12C Greenback in my Sourmash 112. The speaker sounds better now than any other cab I've put it in and that cab has never sounded so good! I think I need to leave that one alone now. So that changes my plan of putting an Alnico Blue in it to use with my Harvard, but that's ok.

Sorry if I'm repeating or contradicting myself, I feel like I am at times, but I can't remember where I've posted things and what circumstances have changed along the way. I believe there's some of that in this thread, but I've made comments elsewhere as well as on another forum and I can't keep up.
Do a test and take the back off the MX 212. Does it sound better than with it on? If so get some 9 to 13 layer ply to try. If the cab didn't sound somewhat better with the back off then don't bother with the ply test, and just dump the cab.

Have you had any in-depth conversations with speaker/cab manufacturers, explain what you're going for and what you've tried? Talk to a few of them and compare what they say. Start with Mojotone, Weber, Avatar.

Last edited:

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Do a test and take the back off the MX 212. Does it sound better than with it on? If so get some 9 to 13 layer ply to try. If the cab didn't sound somewhat better with the back off then don't bother with the ply test, and just dump the cab.

Have you had any in-depth conversations with speaker/cab manufacturers, explain what you're going for and what you've tried? Talk to a few of them and compare what they say. Start with Mojotone, Weber, Avatar.

I tried it today with the back off and it didn't make much difference. Still dark and lifeless sounding next to my Sourmash and Mojotone cabs. I've ruined the MX cabs by getting better cabs to compare them to. The MX cabs are as good as gone. The biggest surprise to me is still how good my Sourmash cab sounds. Can't believe I was ready to throw it out when the issue all along was tubes, not the cab or the speaker. I believe the Mojotone cab edges it out just a little bit though, I really like the Mojotone cab a lot now that I've gotten used to it.

I haven't talked to anyone no. I'm pretty sure I'm either going to get a 1936 or SC212 when they become available again, for now I'll just play my 112s.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I tried it today with the back off and it didn't make much difference. Still dark and lifeless sounding next to my Sourmash and Mojotone cabs. I've ruined the MX cabs by getting better cabs to compare them to. The MX cabs are as good as gone. The biggest surprise to me is still how good my Sourmash cab sounds. Can't believe I was ready to throw it out when the issue all along was tubes, not the cab or the speaker. I believe the Mojotone cab edges it out just a little bit though, I really like the Mojotone cab a lot now that I've gotten used to it.

I haven't talked to anyone no. I'm pretty sure I'm either going to get a 1936 or SC212 when they become available again, for now I'll just play my 112s.
I see at GC 1936 $629 back ordered, not bad price as long as its ply and not MDF. Worth the wait to find out. :yesway:

TXOldRedRocker

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is great information. I'm curious what I will find A/B'ing the SC112 with the MX.

I wonder what kind of experiment I can try on the MX if I find it disappointing, Maybe a few coats of paint, to improve reflection and density, at the outermost layer? Just thinking out loud.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
This is great information. I'm curious what I will find A/B'ing the SC112 with the MX.

I wonder what kind of experiment I can try on the MX if I find it disappointing, Maybe a few coats of paint, to improve reflection and density, at the outermost layer? Just thinking out loud.
I'm curious what you think, too. I think the MX112 sounds better than the MX212. Really my only issue with the 112 is it's got a fizzy top end with high gain like I play. If it wasn't for that I'd keep it. Not sure what the difference between the open back vs the closed back will make. If I bought a SC112 I'd have to close the back. Then there's the speakers, are you running the 70/80 in your MX cab or did you swap it out?

Last edited:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I'm curious what you think, too. I think the MX112 sounds better than the MX212. Really my only issue with the 112 is it's got a fizzy top end with high gain like I play. If it wasn't for that I'd keep it. Not sure what the difference between the open back vs the closed back will make. If I bought a SC112 I'd have to close the back. Then there's the speakers, are you running the 70/80 in your MX cab or did you swap it out?
I have a 1912 sized cab I built (1x12 Marshall cab), the design has two 2" ported holes in the front, I experimented with the ports and without them, and the ports make a sonic difference for the better. So you gotta think through putting a back on your 1x12 if its gonna make a difference for the better or not. All you can really do is try both to see what sounds best to you. For instance, I'm sure you've noticed most combo amps have an open back, this is by design for the sonic better.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 1912 sized cab I built (1x12 Marshall cab), the design has two 2" ported holes in the front, I experimented with the ports and without them, and the ports make a sonic difference for the better. So you gotta think through putting a back on your 1x12 if its gonna make a difference for the better or not. All you can really do is try both to see what sounds best to you. For instance, I'm sure you've noticed most combo amps have an open back, this is by design for the sonic better.

I didn't get the SC112 so it doesn't matter on my end, but I'm curious what TX's observations are between the 2 cabs. I didn't mention the ports because both the MX112 and my new Mojotone 112 are closed back and ported on the front. The Mojotone cab is Ply and the MX MDF, the Mojotone cab is 2" wider, 1" taller and 1" deeper than the MX112. My Sourmash cab is ply, closed back and wider and taller than the MT cab (24"w, 19.5 t and 9" deep) and it's not ported. The Sourmash cab and the MT cab sound pretty close to the same except the MT cab sounds more open and a little brighter. I'm fascinated by how all these differences effect the sound and learning the reasons why. This is the most fun I've had since I learned how to swap magnets in pickups. :lol:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I didn't get the SC112 so it doesn't matter on my end, but I'm curious what TX's observations are between the 2 cabs. I didn't mention the ports because both the MX112 and my new Mojotone 112 are closed back and ported on the front. The Mojotone cab is Ply and the MX MDF, the Mojotone cab is 2" wider, 1" taller and 1" deeper than the MX112. My Sourmash cab is ply, closed back and wider and taller than the MT cab (24"w, 19.5 t and 9" deep) and it's not ported. The Sourmash cab and the MT cab sound pretty close to the same except the MT cab sounds more open and a little brighter. I'm fascinated by how all these differences effect the sound and learning the reasons why. This is the most fun I've had since I learned how to swap magnets in pickups. :lol:
I'm curious how many layers are in the ply in the Sourmash and Mojotone cabs.

TXOldRedRocker

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
@DirtySteve - Not a fan of the 70/80. I have a Greenback clone in the MX 1x12. Since I can switch all my Marshall amp heads to both my current cabs, I wanted a 50 watt speaker, to be used with the two 50 watt amp heads.

This is the speaker, and it's awesome, IMHO.

I love the tone. I don't hate it at all. But the curiosity of having a ply 1x12, like my 2x12, was overwhelming. I'm very curious if I'll dislike the MX after getting the SC, or will it just be different.

My post above shows my setup. (Link below.) You can see the MX on the left. For the initial testing of the SC vs MX, the Rivera combo amp will be moved and I'll have the two 1x12's together.

I have JBL and Eminence speakers in combo's I own and use, Fender, or Fender-style. Right now, I only use Celestion, or Celestion-style, speakers with my Marshall's. But I know guitarists I like to listen to have mixed Eminence and Marshall. So I know I want to try that too. Either in the MX, or the SC, or both, as I roll speakers, soon. SC is still in transit.

Latest posts