I think I bought the wrong Cabs.

• Thread starter DirtySteve
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sgrady41

Reaction score
I have a MX212, cut 1/3 out of the back in the middle and used plywood and have cream back 75s in it. I agree they need sometime on them and they are sounding good. I bought it due to the wait for another 36.

My 1936 I have green backs in and like the tone in them. I know to each their own preference.

They are completely different but each has its place. Depends on what type of music I am playing.

Additionally I have an origin 50 I put a 65 watt cream in and it made a big difference on that. It is really my pedal amp to experiment.

Being an old guy and not really lugging them around much anymore I have amps for certain tones. AC30, fender, Marshall, Friedman all different with a purpose. Just need a bigger studio now lol.

Last edited:

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm talking with Bob from Sourmash. He can build me a new head box no problem, but now I'm asking him if he can build me a 1966 cab to match my white head shell instead. He doesn't list anything like that on his website so I wasn't thinking that way, but it dawned on me to ask once I made contact and started thinking about it differently. If he says he can do it I'm going to do that and have it match my white head shell. I found my gold faceplate and I have Marshall gold tip knobs coming tomorrow (unless the hurricane fucked it up) so it makes sense to get a cab to match and stick with the white.

I have a question. Is 3/4" ply better than 5/8" ply? If he tells me he can build it I want it to be the best it can be. I'm also thinking about going with a black grill cloth instead of the salt and pepper I have on my 112. What do y'all think, will it look good?

Picture this with the cab having a full frontal black grill cloth and the head having a gold faceplate with black lettering...

286YGXN.jpg

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man @DirtySteve , your taste varies fairly frequently doesn’t it bud? :D No offense man, just an observation.

I’m pretty much the opposite, I tend to stick with what I’m using. For a number of years I’ve been playing thru one Mx112, (Creamback Gm65), and a Blackheart 1-12 birch ply cab with a Greenback.

Sounds great with all my heads.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Man @DirtySteve , your taste varies fairly frequently doesn’t it bud? :D No offense man, just an observation.

I’m pretty much the opposite, I tend to stick with what I’m using. For a number of years I’ve been playing thru one Mx112, (Creamback Gm65), and a Blackheart 1-12 birch ply cab with a Greenback.

Sounds great with all my heads.
It seems that way I know. I shouldn't talk so much, but really I'm just thinking out loud most of the time. I can shut up if it would be better. I try to keep my rambling to my own threads. :shrug:

BlueX

Reaction score
What is it you're missing in the tone, that you're looking for? Have you tested a 4x12 lately?

Among 1x12's I think Zilla Cab Fatbaby (oversized 1x12) is great sounding, with a solid low end:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I'm talking with Bob from Sourmash. He can build me a new head box no problem, but now I'm asking him if he can build me a 1966 cab to match my white head shell instead. He doesn't list anything like that on his website so I wasn't thinking that way, but it dawned on me to ask once I made contact and started thinking about it differently. If he says he can do it I'm going to do that and have it match my white head shell. I found my gold faceplate and I have Marshall gold tip knobs coming tomorrow (unless the hurricane fucked it up) so it makes sense to get a cab to match and stick with the white.

I have a question. Is 3/4" ply better than 5/8" ply? If he tells me he can build it I want it to be the best it can be. I'm also thinking about going with a black grill cloth instead of the salt and pepper I have on my 112. What do y'all think, will it look good?

Picture this with the cab having a full frontal black grill cloth and the head having a gold faceplate with black lettering...

286YGXN.jpg
What's a 1966 cab? Just go with Bob's 1936 is what I suggest.

Alright I just looked it up, wouldn't that be the same as his 2061 cab?

Last edited:

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So @DirtySteve , choosing between something a bit like these two...

b.jpeg

s.jpeg

Obviously, it's what you think you want. What will look good where you keep it, or when you have it out.

But, since you asked, I like the Salt N Pepper. Even if it's not the exact one.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
P
It seems that way I know. I shouldn't talk so much, but really I'm just thinking out loud most of the time. I can shut up if it would be better. I try to keep my rambling to my own threads. :shrug:
No no no,….. don’t shut up dude, that’s why we’re hear,… to discuss this stuff man!

I love reading your posts, everyone’s posts, we here to discuss, digest, offer points of view and opinions about this great hobby that we all have in common. Never stop talking gear bro and how we feel about it. :applause:

I’m simply commenting on what I’m reading, I know sometimes I come off a bit harsh, that’s just one of my less desirable attributes! :D

To quote someone from the 1960s,… “Keep on keeping on”. :agreed:

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
If you're going with black grill on the cab, the black control panel on the amp might match well.
That black control panel has always looked off to me. I was going to change it back but I just never got around to it.

This looks better...

RnhNLwZ.jpg

or with black knobs, but I like the gold tip knobs better ^^.

j3nr7dS.jpg

TXOldRedRocker

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, Steve. I didn't have all day, but I spent ALL DAY rolling some speakers and working on the MX cab. Damnit.

I put 5 pieces of 1/4" Birch ply inside the MX cab. I did not go all out and cover all the MDF. I covered the inside of the 4 sides. I covered 1/2 the back, the side without the hole for the jack. Doing so was a slight improvement, not as dark and dampened. To my ears. I think a new partially open back, or some big holes drilled in the back would make a bigger difference.

I bought a Jensen C12Q to try in the MX cab that I put an Eminence George Allesandro (E. GA) a couple weeks ago.

I experimented with both Plexi and JCM 800 amps. High Treble, Normal, High Sensitivity, Low Sensitivity, jumped channels, no pedals, pedals, EQ pedal only, with different settings, different pickups, etc., etc., etc.

Beside the E. GA and the Jensen, I dug out my Eminence Swamp Thang speaker. Rolled all 3 of these with all the combinations mentioned above.

Bottom line: I hate the Jensen across the board with everything I did, in comparison to my other cabs. Which I also switched between during all my testing, a 2x12 and two 1x12's. It's not broken in, but it can't get THAT much better after break-in, I believe. Jensen and Marshall isn't something I want to try again.

The E. GA was OK, as I said in a post above. I like the Swamp Thang most of all, and that's what's staying in my MX 1x12 for the foreseeable future. It plays well with both Marshall circuits. Works with bridge and neck, pedals, etc. It can get a little spanky for me, so I EQ to taste. My favorite use of it is with a Plexi, jumped channels, with Normal volume set to at least twice the setting of the High Treble volume. Beautiful.

A reminder, I play Classic Rock and blues. Nothing heavy or metal.

For me, nothing beats a Greenback with a Marshall amp I like. My 2x12 has a Greenback and Creamback both, and it's a good combination. For me, keeping the MX cab is just for something completely different but pleasing and useable.

All the above, is, of course, my opinion and YMMV. Steve, did you try your Texas Heat speaker out in any of your cabs? You mentioned a plan to do so, but I haven't seen any posted result.

BTW, anyone want to buy a brand new Jensen C12Q speaker for an amp or cab you think it'd be good in?

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
OK, Steve. I didn't have all day, but I spent ALL DAY rolling some speakers and working on the MX cab. Damnit.

I put 5 pieces of 1/4" Birch ply inside the MX cab. I did not go all out and cover all the MDF. I covered the inside of the 4 sides. I covered 1/2 the back, the side without the hole for the jack. Doing so was a slight improvement, not as dark and dampened. To my ears. I think a new partially open back, or some big holes drilled in the back would make a bigger difference.

I bought a Jensen C12Q to try in the MX cab that I put an Eminence George Allesandro (E. GA) a couple weeks ago.

I experimented with both Plexi and JCM 800 amps. High Treble, Normal, High Sensitivity, Low Sensitivity, jumped channels, no pedals, pedals, EQ pedal only, with different settings, different pickups, etc., etc., etc.

Beside the E. GA and the Jensen, I dug out my Eminence Swamp Thang speaker. Rolled all 3 of these with all the combinations mentioned above.

Bottom line: I hate the Jensen across the board with everything I did, in comparison to my other cabs. Which I also switched between during all my testing, a 2x12 and two 1x12's. It's not broken in, but it can't get THAT much better after break-in, I believe. Jensen and Marshall isn't something I want to try again.

The E. GA was OK, as I said in a post above. I like the Swamp Thang most of all, and that's what's staying in my MX 1x12 for the foreseeable future. It plays well with both Marshall circuits. Works with bridge and neck, pedals, etc. It can get a little spanky for me, so I EQ to taste. My favorite use of it is with a Plexi, jumped channels, with Normal volume set to at least twice the setting of the High Treble volume. Beautiful.

A reminder, I play Classic Rock and blues. Nothing heavy or metal.

For me, nothing beats a Greenback with a Marshall amp I like. My 2x12 has a Greenback and Creamback both, and it's a good combination. For me, keeping the MX cab is just for something completely different but pleasing and useable.

All the above, is, of course, my opinion and YMMV. Steve, did you try your Texas Heat speaker out in any of your cabs? You mentioned a plan to do so, but I haven't seen any posted result.

BTW, anyone want to buy a brand new Jensen C12Q speaker for an amp or cab you think it'd be good in?

How did you attach the ply, did you glue it in? I would think it would need to be glued and clamped in nice and solid for it to do anything. Thanks for the follow up.. :yesway:

I had my Jensen Nighthawk in my mojotone cab for a couple of days, then I started to notice I would like it at first, but after playing for a little while it would start to wear on my ears and I just started noticing other things about it I didn't like so out it came. I took it out and put a Creamback in it and so far I'm liking it better than anything else I've had in there in there. I think when I first was swapping speakers around I wasn't giving them enough time before I'd swap them. I've been taking my time now.

To do a true cab comparison, which I hadn't done yet, I went ahead and put my other CB65 in my sourmash cab so both cabs have the same speaker. Well it was eye opening to say the least, night and day! :shock: The Sourmash cab sounds like shit next to the Mojotone cab. It's dull and muffled by comparison, like it's got a blanket thrown over it. The Mojotone cab sounds much livelier and punchy, it's got a much fuller bottom end and a sweeter top end. I was already noticing this with other speakers when I was swapping them around, but I didn't know it was so bad until I did this. Even with the Greenback in it (that I loved at first) started to not sound so good the more I was playing my Mojotone cab. After this I think I'm back to wanting to throw it in the dumpster. lol.

I can honestly say now that the Mojotone cab is the best sounding cab I've ever had.

Are you thinking of the Cannabis Rex I mentioned before? I don't have a Texas Heat, don't even know what that is. I did try the C-rex and it was awful. I couldn't get it out of there fast enough.

TXOldRedRocker

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
How did you attach the ply, did you glue it in? I would think it would need to be glued and clamped in nice and solid for it to do anything. Thanks for the follow up.. :yesway:

I had my Jensen Nighthawk in my mojotone cab for a couple of days, then I started to notice I would like it at first, but after playing for a little while it would start to wear on my ears and I just started noticing other things about it I didn't like so out it came. I took it out and put a Creamback in it and so far I'm liking it better than anything else I've had in there in there. I think when I first was swapping speakers around I wasn't giving them enough time before I'd swap them. I've been taking my time now.

To do a true cab comparison, which I hadn't done yet, I went ahead and put my other CB65 in my sourmash cab so both cabs have the same speaker. Well it was eye opening to say the least, night and day! :shock: The Sourmash cab sounds like shit next to the Mojotone cab. It's dull and muffled by comparison, like it's got a blanket thrown over it. The Mojotone cab sounds much livelier and punchy, it's got a much fuller bottom end and a sweeter top end. I was already noticing this with other speakers when I was swapping them around, but I didn't know it was so bad until I did this. Even with the Greenback in it (that I loved at first) started to not sound so good the more I was playing my Mojotone cab. After this I think I'm back to wanting to throw it in the dumpster. lol.

I can honestly say now that the Mojotone cab is the best sounding cab I've ever had.

Are you thinking of the Cannabis Rex I mentioned before? I don't have a Texas Heat, don't even know what that is. I did try the C-rex and it was awful. I couldn't get it out of there fast enough.

I guess I was confused. Yes the Cannabis Rex. Interesting to hear.

I screwed the ply in. Multiple screws in critical places. It's in there pretty tight. I'm just not going to take the time to glue and clamp. This was just to see if it would resonate better with a layer of ply over the MDF. I think it does, but it still is only marginally better. If I continue with that cab, I may put ports in the back.

Not surprised to hear about the MJ cab being superior. Last year I spent two days at Mojotone in NC. I received a tour of the entire facility. Their workshop for cab building is amazing. The woodworking is as good as it gets. They have a license for spraying a special lacquer they use for the Tweed. It's quite an operation. I had lunch with the owner. What a company he has built after buying it and moving it from CA to NC.

I've purchased things from MJ, just not a cab. If I was smart, I'd just throw away the MX cab and buy a MJ to replace it. Not continue with the MX experiment. I need to look into that, seriously.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I got my knobs today, they were held up in Atlanta after the storm, but they made it. Put the gold control panel back on. I've had the black one on there so long it looks funny, lol. It'll look better when I get my black head shell.

7VIhipI.jpg
Oh, I thought you decided to keep the white head shell and get a matching white cab made?

paul-e-mann

Reaction score

I'm a firm believer you gotta have lots of layers in the ply to get good resonance, whats the layer difference between Sourmash and Mojo, this will tell you who used quality ply. Big price difference I'm seeing between Sourmash and Mojo, Mojo much more expensive, I would almost hold out and buy a real Marshall cab. Is the plan to get a price from these companies for a custom built 1966 cab?

Latest posts