Ibanez add's a couple of new Artist's

• Thread starter speyfly
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

speyfly

Reaction score
AR720FM

AR720FM_AWB_12_01_CU_Body_Top.jpg

AR620

AR620_BK_12_01_CU_Body_Top.jpg

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I wonder where they're made?

I really wish I had my old Artist still. I'm not too fond of the purfling on these though. Just binding for me...

speyfly

Reaction score
I wonder where they're made?

I really wish I had my old Artist still. I'm not too fond of the purfling on these though. Just binding for me...

I suspect they're MIC as are the other current Artist models, still a fantastic guitar who ever make them...

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
street price $1K (AR720FM)

I could probably find an old MIJ for less than that though, which I'd be pressed to believe that this is that good. We'll have to see what they are like when they hit all the stores...

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
^Yup.

1978 Ibanez Catalog. Still have the "new" headstocks.

06.jpg

They appear to be the same thickness, too.

But besides the country of origin, they're pretty much carbon copies of the original Artists.

speyfly

Reaction score
A close up of the 720, notice the abalone purling along the edge of the neck and headstock, very pretty guitar and the 720 has the Gibraltar bridge attached to the heavy sustain block, oh my...

AR720FM_AWB_12_01.jpg

4STICKS

Reaction score
A buddy of mine I used to play in a band with, has a 80's MIJ artist. That is one fantastic guitar. Dude only paid about 200 for it I think. Beautiful instrument.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
If these new Artists have the same body construction as the originals, than they are heavy. I remember playing a few of these back in the mid 70's. Steve Miller used them and Ibanez had ads featuring him.

01.jpg

I think these new ones look great. I have no issues with them. I see that most of the big retailers have the 720 listed at $999. I don't think you can find an original Artist in mint shape for less than a grand. You should find a "player" guitar for around $700.

From current Sweetwater ad listing:

Tonally-versatile guitar with mahogany body and figured maple top
Dual Super 80 "Flying Finger" humbucking pickups have a smooth, wide-ranging output
Tri-sound electronics for each pickup give you series, parallel, and split-coil wiring options
Gibraltar bridge and Quik Change Ultra tailpiece deliver exceptional sustain and tuning stability
AR Expressionist set neck plays fast and smooth, thanks to slim profile and smooth heel
Buttery bound ebony fingerboard with 22 medium frets
Gold hardware and pearl/abalone block inlays exude class
Hardshell case included

I really like the "Tri-sound" feature.

Rozman62

Reaction score
Any Artist thread always gets my attention. I put up this pic several times so sorry for the repeats. 1980 AR100 in antique violin finish all original except the V2 pups which I pulled and replaced with Gibson 57's. I have retired it from gigging but was my main axe for 20+ years.

scat7s

VIP Member
Reaction score
love the artists. the new ones look beautiful.

i see the old ones come up on CL from time to time, usually they seem quite reasonably priced. 5 to 800. usually more toward the 500 end.

when i see one im always saddened that i didnt learn to play RH,

ps-the necks look skinny though dont they?

speyfly

Reaction score
^ neck specs are that same as the originals, not a chunky as some but very comfortable to play. I have a AR300 and absolutely love it...

scat7s

VIP Member
Reaction score
it might be the fancy binding that gives the appearance of a thin neck.

speyfly

Reaction score
Well it's been a year since Ibanez introduced the AR 720FM and I finally pulled the trigger. It will be here tomorrow...

Yeah Baby!

stalefish

Reaction score
I've never seen these. I usually stay away from the Ibanez end of the guitar store. These are really nice. I hate that cloud tailpiece though. I'd have to throw that thing away. The rest of the guitar looks beautiful.