I'd had a couple of beers. That's the trouble....

• Thread starter purpleplexi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

purpleplexi

Reaction score
And I was reading something about a guy with a bunch of expensive PRS axes. I went to buy the new DGT SE not long ago but didn't think much really. Tried the USA one but it's big bucks over here. Anyway he was saying he had a Harley Benton PRS knock-off that he took to rehearsals and he'd tried it at a gig at it was pretty good. Course he got his arse badly flamed but a few others joined in and agreed.
Long story a little bit shorter I bought one. It turned up today and it's really pretty good. I've set the octaves, dropped the action a little and set the pickup heights. It's a good looking, playable, good sounding guitar. The coil tap doesn't really sound very single coil but it's OK. It 'almost' stays in tune with dive bombing but I've ordered up some nut sauce.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
And I was reading something about a guy with a bunch of expensive PRS axes. I went to buy the new DGT SE not long ago but didn't think much really. Tried the USA one but it's big bucks over here. Anyway he was saying he had a Harley Benton PRS knock-off that he took to rehearsals and he'd tried it at a gig at it was pretty good. Course he got his arse badly flamed but a few others joined in and agreed.
Long story a little bit shorter I bought one. It turned up today and it's really pretty good. I've set the octaves, dropped the action a little and set the pickup heights. It's a good looking, playable, good sounding guitar. The coil tap doesn't really sound very single coil but it's OK. It 'almost' stays in tune with dive bombing but I've ordered up some nut sauce.

I thought you were gonna say you nailed a double bagger lol

purpleplexi

Reaction score
Have to say I'm considering trying one of their LP's now. I've found the weak spot on it -f you turn the vol down it goes a bit one dimensional and generic. Do the same on my Gibson and it still has plenty of texture and character. Vol full it's fine.

Calebz

Reaction score
Have to say I'm considering trying one of their LP's now. I've found the weak spot on it -f you turn the vol down it goes a bit one dimensional and generic. Do the same on my Gibson and it still has plenty of texture and character. Vol full it's fine.
Fairly common type of issue with cheap guitars. My $200 (actually €162 because B-stock) SC-Custom came with mahogany body and neck, a decent paint job, graphite nut, a bridge with enoigh adjustment to easily intonate in drop C, the same tuners as my $1000 schecter...and pretty crappy electronics. A couple pots and a fairly inexpensive set of iron gear pickups and it has become my most used guitar.

Kuga

Reaction score
I have a Harley Benton too. A DC junior Fat. In fact I have two but the other it's a 45€ acustic guitar. It was a faded guitar but I barnish It. It sounds really bad. I don't use It. I have it hanging on a wall as decoration.

The DC junior Fat it's much better instrument. It's 10 times cheaper than my LP's but It's not 10 times worst than my LP's. I modded It. Adjustable P90 shape pickup. Dimarzio DP210. Stop tail piece. Wiring and electronics. Not bad.

IMG_20230908_190700~2_copy_636x1632.jpgIMG_20230908_190712_copy_1228x1632.jpg

Last edited:

Calebz

Reaction score
I have a Harley Benton too. A DC junior Fat. In fact I have two but the other it's a 45€ acustic guitar. It was a faded guitar but I barnish It. It sounds really bad. I don't use It. I have it hanging on a wall as decoration.

The DC junior Fat it's much better instrument. It's 10 times cheaper than my LP's but It's not 10 times worst than my LP's. I moded It. Adjustable P90 shape pickup. Dimarzio DP210. Stop tail piece. Wiring and electronics. Not bad.

View attachment 136246View attachment 136247

I have an SC-Jr with a bareknuckle stockholm P90 in it. It's a really great guitar. If I didn't already have enough SG and LP type guitars, I would probably add a DC jr to the pile.

I also have an HB lap steel, a Pbass and 6 string banjo. The price, combined with the quality of what I've received so far, makes it a great brand for trying new shapes, styles, etc.. I'm beginning to think I should finally try a telecaster :D

I really wish these had been available in the 80s :D

Last edited:

Eric'45

Reaction score

The DC junior Fat it's much better instrument. It's 10 times cheaper than my LP's but It's not 10 times worst than my LP's. I moded It. Adjustable P90 shape pickup. Dimarzio DP210. Stop tail piece. Wiring and electronics. Not bad.

View attachment 136246View attachment 136247
Is that a Wraparound Tailpiece that you use as a Bridge? Is there a particular reason for that? It looks interesting.

coffeecupman

Reaction score
Just because I'm a cork sniffer for life doesn't mean that's not good enough for rock and roll.

Kuga

Reaction score
Is that a Wraparound Tailpiece that you use as a Bridge? Is there a particular reason for that? It looks interesting.
I use like a bridge. I will replace It for an Ibanez Gibraltar III bridge. It will fits without extra holes. I added a stop tail piece to get a smoth strings feel. It's a Gibson stop tail piece that I bought years ago. When I did the stop tail holes I can saw a white mahogany wood.

baixa.jpeg

BlueX

Reaction score

HNGD!

I think I need to look at HB guitars.

purpleplexi

Reaction score
I put some amber speedknobs on it instead of the chrome ones which looks cooler to me. While I was doing it I dropped the tone pot and swapped the brown plastic cap out for a paper in oil one. It sounded smoother and a bit more 'grown up'. I didn't like it - before it had a real gnarly edge to it which I liked and somehow that disappeared. So I put the cheapo one back. It was a total PITA to do it too - it's a pull pot for coil tap and they must have tiny little Asian women with tiny little hands and tiny little soldering irons doing these. Got it done in the end and there's my gnarly tone back.
It you like something don't fuck with it.

Latest posts