If marshall had to make an exact replica of the sound of an artist which one would you want ?

• Thread starter pat_rocks
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pat_rocks

Reaction score
Okay guys as i'm finishing my Van Halen tone quest.

If you had to chose an artist whose tone you'd desire the most to get which one would it be ?

i'm looking for my next tone chase. For It's like quests in the elder scrolls haha...

i'm considering to build an amp based on the 2205 of Michael Schenker but in 20w and only with the OD channel.

if you had to pick one which one would it be ?

List of examples :

Jimmy Hendrix
Jimmy Page
Randy Rhoads
Michael Schenker
Warren de Martini
Steve Vai
David Gilmour
Angus Young
Jeff Beck
Ritchie Blackmore
Steve Stevens
Dann huff
George lynch
Kirk Hammet
James Hetfield
Mark Knopfler
Billy Gibbons
Mick Mars
Slash

Last edited:

Ps. 37

Reaction score
Brother Duane. :)

The first note of Duane's solo on Blue Sky never fails to make me smile. (The rest of the solo has pretty much the same effect. :) )

Funny thing is Duane's amp in the studio for Blue Sky may have been a Fender. :)

PelliX

Reaction score
Jimmy Hendrix

That's not really an "amp tone". Typically - to most people - this amp would have to include an Octavia-ish thing and a Fuzzface-ish something?

Jimmy Page

Who recorded a lot using non-Marshall amps.

Randy Rhoads
Michael Schenker

Two players who stand out more by their style than their rig.

Steve Vai

Hmmm.... would be another case of the above, I'd say. It's his chops first and foremost.

David Gilmour

Good heavens, man! You don't want Marshall to build an amp that complex.

Angus Young

They already make it. Any classic non-MV Marshall. Dime it, hit it with an SG. Done.

Jeff Beck
Ritchie Blackmore
Mark Knopfler

Chops, chops, chops.

Steve Stevens

That MIGHT be interesting to hear. I'm not in the market for it, but.... interesting. We were covering a bit of Billy Idol just a day or two ago. JCM800 and a Metal Zone used sparingly does it for me.

Kirk Hammet
James Hetfield

Why not buy a MESA, depending on what vintage of their tone you're after? Like VH, their studio tone wasn't always something one could possible emulate with a single guitar/amp.

Brian May

Who played AC30's fairly exclusively (and that DC amp that John built) for his entire Queen career. I can't say I've ever seen Brian plug into a Marshall. Also, a part of his "signature" tone was the Treble Booster.

Mark Knopfler

Again? Alright, he is one heck of a player.

Billy Gibbons
Mick Mars

I'd like something that gave me instant BG tone, but I doubt a lot of it is in the amp.

svinyard

Reaction score
The Gibbons tone. That would be cool. I wonder how he sounds live, if it has the same vibe. You'd think it'd have to right?

PelliX

Reaction score
The Gibbons tone. That would be cool. I wonder how he sounds live, if it has the same vibe. You'd think it'd have to right?

Yes, cause the Reverend himself is playing. I know that his crew basically has a reference tone (Pearly Gates, etc) to which they "tune" the stack.

pat_rocks

Reaction score
i might dive into the billy gibbons tone i like it a lot too. It sounds like if you put an old petroleum tractor engine into a marshall.

pat_rocks

Reaction score

a marshall with this tone on the go without any pedals would be fun.

i don't know which magnatone model was used i should check it out.

Aren't magnatones amps based on Marshalls ?

PelliX

Reaction score
wtf a tele neck with a fenderesque config and with a lap steel ? O_o

sounds awesome !

It's his own creation. Clearly part Tele, part lap-steel. It's called the Guit-steel (not sure of the spelling). First time I saw it, I thought he was a goofy country act. Then he blew my mind and while I can't listen to country for hours on end (sober in any case!) I enjoy flipping on a Junior Brown record from time to time. There's an element of self deprecating humor in his lyrics and delivery that entertain, too.

You don't see it here, but often when he does the medleys he plays with the feedback from the twin Fenders behind him, too. No crazy effects, no ear protection, just good ol' dimed Fender noise.

a marshall with this tone on the go without any pedals would be fun.

That's a lot of studio work on those guitars, all three (or more) you're hearing at any given time in the song pretty much. The double tracking (maybe more) is really a key element of the tones in that song.

Last edited:

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes, cause the Reverend himself is playing. I know that his crew basically has a reference tone (Pearly Gates, etc) to which they "tune" the stack.

Last edited:

V-man

Reaction score
Many of these are a “system” to include things like boosts/FX and pups (certain output passive/active).

That aside, the most perfect “You” quest I can think of would be the Hetfield Arredondo, used on their demos, Kill ‘em All, and all live shows until January, 1984 when it was stolen after the Boston show.

It’s perfect because the amp has never been recovered, has an unknown José mod and is part of your favorite rabbit-hole era (‘81-83’).

Thus, you can use your supersonic ears to inven- er… perceive all the subtle nuances José did on the amp from the one record and various low quality recordings that existed before James (like Eddie) had to move on by the early-mid 1980s.

All I have heard of is 100w SL, using SD invaders and potentially a big box RAT.

IMG_1317.jpeg

James’ amp at the “Metal Mansion” as indicated by a young Sigourney Weaver, beside her #1 fan in 1981 boasting an impressive 4 convictions for public masturbation in her honor.

ElvisNixon

Reaction score
I have a Suhr Hombre too and I love it and when you think about the tone BFG gets, he played a brownface NON reverb Deluxe. It can get that great Marshall-esque, dripping in harmonics tone really easily.

It’s also not a one trick pony. I think they’re about $750 which ain’t cheap in the overall world of guitar amps, but it’s a major eye opening amp with Suhr quality and tone!

ElvisNixon

Reaction score
Many of these are a “system” to include things like boosts/FX and pups (certain output passive/active).

That aside, the most perfect “You” quest I can think of would be the Hetfield Arredondo, used on their demos, Kill ‘em All, and all live shows until January, 1984 when it was stolen after the Boston show.

It’s perfect because the amp has never been recovered, has an unknown José mod and is part of your favorite rabbit-hole era (‘81-83’).

Thus, you can use your supersonic ears to inven- er… perceive all the subtle nuances José did on the amp from the one record and various low quality recordings that existed before James (like Eddie) had to move on by the early-mid 1980s.

All I have heard of is 100w SL, using SD invaders and potentially a big box RAT.

View attachment 155653

James’ amp at the “Metal Mansion” as indicated by a young Sigourney Weaver, beside her #1 fan in 1981 boasting an impressive 4 convictions for public masturbation in her honor.
The look on James’s face looks priceless..