I'm jonesin' for a Blackstar HT-1R

• Thread starter Penguinchit
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Penguinchit

Reaction score
I like the sound, features, breakup at a lower volume and size. Thought about the Fender Champ 600, but that's a one pony show. For the price, I think it's tough to beat the Blackstar. What do you guys think?

FJP467

Reaction score
It is a great little amp for sure. I have the HT-5M. I like the amp just don't love it. It is very sterile sounding to me. It does make a good little practice amp but just is not very inspiring. I would suggest definitely playing one before you purchase. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Swede

Reaction score
How low do you want an amp to break up???...I can get my Plexi to break up nicely and lower than whisper volume:wave:

Penguinchit

Reaction score
Well, I'm not too sure yet. I know I have to get the DSL40 up in volume to get the sound that makes my ears tingle with joy...And at that volume, it's pretty loud for the rest of the house. My wife will text me and tell me it's too much. So, I figured I might be able to recreate the sound (not exactly) with a lower power amp. Plus, she'll workout in the basement where my gear is so I'd like something less than 60lbs to haul up the stairs to play when I get expelled from my cave.

mtm105

Reaction score
I had the HT-1R. I play with Cascading OD. I have Blackheart Killer Ant 1W and I was expecting the HT-1R to surpass that in tone. I really like the Killer Ant and thought that the Blackstar takes 1W to another level. I read all of the reviews.

It failed miserably, IMO. I could not wait to return it at a loss off shipping.

It really sounded Solid State. The Blackhearts are FAR superior, IMO. I also have 5W Giant.

then again, I play Cascading OD. Like, sicko amounts of gain. My opinion carries little merit.

Pat6969

Reaction score
If you like the DSL why not look at a DSL1H? 1 watt switchable to .1 watt. If it sounds near as good as the JVM1H you'll have a winner.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Hey you $h!tty penguin, so what you gonna get? Whatever you get I'd consider that it have a headphone jack, why not if its a small practice amp. Then you can even play in the basement and keep your wife company while she works out. Marshall Class 5 comes to mind, Orange Micro Terror is another, and theres plenty others not mention a plethora of solid state amps to choose from.

Penguinchit

Reaction score
If you like the DSL why not look at a DSL1H? 1 watt switchable to .1 watt. If it sounds near as good as the JVM1H you'll have a winner.

I did look at that a while ago but the cost is what kept me from moving on it.

Hey you $h!tty penguin, so what you gonna get? Whatever you get I'd consider that it have a headphone jack, why not if its a small practice amp. Then you can even play in the basement and keep your wife company while she works out. Marshall Class 5 comes to mind, Orange Micro Terror is another, and theres plenty others not mention a plethora of solid state amps to choose from.

That is something that I like about the Blackstar...The headphone out would be great. I am considering the Orange MT also. That with a small cab would be pretty comparable to the HT-1R. And I could try building a cabinet with my own choice of speakers as well.

The big draws on the Blackstar are tube, cost and convienence.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Sounds like a a day trip to GC and rock out on all the contenders and take the winner home!

rick16v

Reaction score
What kind of stuff do you play?

If you mean me, it was my practice combo for messing around with at low volume. Sounded like it had a blanket over it. No sparkle, sort of muted and sterile. I went to buy an analogizer pedal to liven it up and came away with an h and k tubemeister 18.

Penguinchit

Reaction score
The more I look at the VHT Special 6 and 6 Ultra, the more I lean towards them. The Ultra can be dialed from 6 down to .5W or so. And I dig the sound. Don't dig the price so much though. Not yet.

Risamaru

Reaction score
I off loaded my HT5 and HT 100 once I got the ID 30 solid state amp, Its does all those tones and sound and feels like a tube amp. I was at practice with it like a month ago and I was able to keep up with and almost burry a Carvin V3 100 watt half stack and a JCM 800 2210 half stack. Actually they told me to turn it down and I was only a little over half way on volume, through the single 12 inch speaker only. It sounded great.

The emulated Line out is great and sounds awesome through the PA with its Super Wide Stereo. Which allows me to not have to push the speaker so much, and use the Amp as a Stage Monitor. Since it has a FRFR Speaker its pretty much the same tone that comes out of the PA.

In a live situation its Great and for a Practice amp you cant beat it with the built in FX, noise gate, and tuner. I also use an Art Tube MP Studio-tube preamp in front of the amp and it gives me even more tube dynamics and tone.

I Still have the HT 40 as my main tube amp(I thought it sounded way better than the 100), which I can get the exact same tones out of the ID 30 and so much more.

Just my Humble opinion from Under the Rock which I Hide.

Penguinchit

Reaction score
I think I've finally decided that I want the VHT Special 6 Ultra combo. Haven't been able to play one because nobody stocks them, but there is the return policy if I find out that it's not for me.

So...I've started an amp fund to raise the rest of the money because it's twice as much as the HT-1R. And it's 3x the amp. But...

Or, I should say, butt, I need to lose weight and get my cardio up and so far have had no motivation. So, my motivation is I am not allowing me to buy the amp, even after I raise the money, until after I lose 20 lbs.

This sucks.