What do you think of a 5150 Iconic for someone that doesn't do high gain.

• Thread starter mark123
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
The Mesa Boogie Fillmore series accomplishes what you describe @mark123

Also for what you describe a Fender Tweed Deluxe, or any 5E3 clone, would fit the bill.

The Mesa Fillmore series are loosely based on the Fender Tweed sound. It can get to 80's hard rock when pushed, but the cleans and edge of breakup are where it really shines, plus it has an outstanding long pan reverb that is independent on both identical channels.

Another outstanding option would be something from Rivera which can cover blackface, tweed, and Marshelleque tones. Rivera is also a very good deal used and are built like tanks.

For me, I'm holding on to my cash reserves.

Shred Monster

Reaction score
If you;re not into high gain then the "Iconic" is right up your alley. Run a mile mate. They're anything but iconic. They should have been scrapped. Ed would be turning in his grave. I,d suggest a Twin. Super versatile , loud , solid state rectification. Never Mind the Bollocks was recorded on a cranked Twin with only a MXR 90 phase.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
If you;re not into high gain then the "Iconic" is right up your alley. Run a mile mate. They're anything but iconic. They should have been scrapped. Ed would be turning in his grave. I,d suggest a Twin. Super versatile , loud , solid state rectification. Never Mind the Bollocks was recorded on a cranked Twin with only a MXR 90 phase.
Ed had final approval before he passed away.

Shred Monster

Reaction score
I put a DS1 through my rectos clean channel. Just as angry as red channel but creamier.

mark123

Reaction score
The Mesa Boogie Fillmore series accomplishes what you describe @mark123

Also for what you describe a Fender Tweed Deluxe, or any 5E3 clone, would fit the bill.

The Mesa Fillmore series are loosely based on the Fender Tweed sound. It can get to 80's hard rock when pushed, but the cleans and edge of breakup are where it really shines, plus it has an outstanding long pan reverb that is independent on both identical channels.

Another outstanding option would be something from Rivera which can cover blackface, tweed, and Marshelleque tones. Rivera is also a very good deal used and are built like tanks.

For me, I'm holding on to my cash reserves.
Rivera is a good suggestion.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
Wow! My series 3 amps have pesky random channel switching issues , all of em ! But I,ve read horror stories about Eds parting gift.
That's a problem with the manufacturer. I've read a ton of positive reviews on the Iconic, right here on the MF even...on more than one thread.

If they were produced in Mexico I would have bought one by now.

Shred Monster

Reaction score
That's a problem with the manufacturer. I've read a ton of positive reviews on the Iconic, right here on the MF even...on more than one thread.

Does it run point to point or pcb?

• Haha
Reactions: Len

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
Does it run point to point or pcb?
None of the 5150 amps are PTP or turret board, they are all PCB.

If construction is tight there is nothing wrong with PCB. PCB done right is everybit as good, and in fact more consistent from amp to amp.

Some of the most high end amps on the planet are PCB right now.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
I can't believe I failed, and nobody else mentioned a Soldano SLO!

Warren Haynes, Clapton, Knopfler, etc...have used them for some sweet edge of breakup tones. SRV had one modified before he died prematurely.

They're not just for metal guys, though they certainly do that.

If money wasn't an object....

mark123

Reaction score
I can't believe I failed, and nobody else mentioned a Soldano SLO!
There's a local fellow selling one. Can't justify $4k though. I also would never let it out of the house. That's why I'm asking about the Iconic. It's kinda not so expensive.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
There's a local fellow selling one. Can't justify $4k though. I also would never let it out of the house. That's why I'm asking about the Iconic. It's kinda not so expensive.
The SLO 30 is more affordable than the 100's, especially the older 100's made in Mike's shop.

Still not nearly as affordable as the Iconic though. Hard to beat the price on those, but you can fine used Rivera's for the same or less.

(Yes, I'm biased for Rivera)

kysrsoze

Reaction score
Have you considered a used 5150III? You can pretty easily find one in that price range and they have great cleans, plus a whole lot more.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I realize that 99999 out of 100000 of you use a boost into an amp that's already high gain but I'm not into that. I'm more into the edge of breakup where I can beat on the strings to get some grit.

So far all the YouTube guys that I've watched make the clean and lower gain stuff sounds like absolute garbage. I really don't want to get into the same situation that I had with my Mesa Dual Rectifier non-multiwatt which had the worst clean channel and second worst low gain ever. In other words, I don't want a one-trick pony. Especially, when the one trick is super high gain.

Anyone have any examples or YouTube vids that show a decent range for the Iconic?
Why would you get a 5150 if youre not a metal player? Makes no sense. Those of us that use boost pedals usually have classic amps. I suggest you get a DSL or Jube if you want gain without pedals.

mark123

Reaction score
Why would you get a 5150 if youre not a metal player? Makes no sense. Those of us that use boost pedals usually have classic amps. I suggest you get a DSL or Jube if you want gain without pedals.
Do you have experience with the Iconic? Are you saying it is only for metal?

PowerTube44

Reaction score

I hope you're joking.