Played a 5150 Iconic (amazing)

• Thread starter Maggot Brain
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pittbull

Reaction score
I don’t worry about a clean channel on any amp I use my volume knob on my guitar and just roll it down like Eddie did.I like single channel amps even though the Iconic is a two channel amp

pittbull

Reaction score
I was wondering if James Brown the designer of the 5150 Iconic is a member here I know he is on The Gear Page I’m not a member on the site the people who run that site like to banned people

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
I was wondering if James Brown the designer of the 5150 Iconic is a member here I know he is on The Gear Page I’m not a member on the site the people who run that site like to banned people
I have never seen James Brown post here.

As far as TGP goes, they're a bunch of sensitive ol' bitches up in that joint.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
Yes they are,Marshall Forum is way better. Trying to find a way to contact him(James Brown)
Well if he’s anything like Dave Friedman then all you need is his email address and he will respond .

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
No he's not a member here.

I've had this amp for awhile now. You guys know I'm Marshall through and true. I've heard some compare it to an SLO. The way I tune it it's all Marshall even though it's loaded with 6L6's.

Maybe it's the cabs I use but it's what a Marshall 800 should of been. Fierce, chunky and ball clacking.

There are a lot of dumb ass players out yonder. I can stear around them cause I own the amp. This Fucking amp romps. I've never bought an amp for a clean channel. I'm dirty Joe. And I sling clods. I can't stop playing this amp. And my love can't keep panties on. Ask my neighbors.:D:drool:

pittbull

Reaction score
If anyone here belongs to The Gear Page which James Brown is a member tell him to join the Marshall Forum

MantraSky

Reaction score
No he's not a member here.

I've had this amp for awhile now. You guys know I'm Marshall through and true. I've heard some compare it to an SLO. The way I tune it it's all Marshall even though it's loaded with 6L6's.

Maybe it's the cabs I use but it's what a Marshall 800 should of been. Fierce, chunky and ball clacking.

There are a lot of dumb ass players out yonder. I can stear around them cause I own the amp. This Fucking amp romps. I've never bought an amp for a clean channel. I'm dirty Joe. And I sling clods. I can't stop playing this amp. And my love can't keep panties on. Ask my neighbors.:D:drool:
Hay Joe, here's a little tune I did (early morning goofing around) I thought you could use a little "Night Train" in your day while your Jammin on your Icon, little blues-rock for fun.....

pittbull

Reaction score
I’ll take the 5150 iconic it has that THING that the BE 100 doesn’t have( to tame) just listen to Van Halen 1 the Iconic is more aggressive.I compared both amps side by side.

Last edited:

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
I haven't tried yet. Heard really good things.
But...

There is NO footswitchable clean crunch on channel 1 or that extra gain mode for channel 2.

For the odd time I really use cleanish, that doesn't work very well. Seems like an omission completely for live playing. If that feature is there at least footswitch it.
Sadly a deal breaker for me.
What if you could use the guitar volume and roll it back or a volume pedal ?

MantraSky

Reaction score
I’ll take the 5150 iconic it has that THING that the BE 100 doesn’t have( to tame) just listen to Van Halen 1 the Iconic is more aggressive.I compared both amps side by side.
I would agree but my BE-100 has been really modified so it’s more Plexi, 2203 JMP etc. Side by side with the 5150 Icon, the BE dominates over it, the BE is also more musical!

The Icon has more Gain but also has gritty artifacts, it’s a good sounding amp,
how about posting a clip, rough jam or song? (of yourself!) so I can see where your coming from!

pittbull

Reaction score
I’ve compared them side by side at guitar center and if your after the Van Halen sound(Van Halen 1-Diver down)the iconic has it,the BE 100 is not just for the Van Halen sound by itself it’s not that aggressive.

MantraSky

Reaction score
I’ve compared them side by side at guitar center and if your after the Van Halen sound(Van Halen 1-Diver down)the iconic has it,the BE 100 is not just for the Van Halen sound by itself it’s not that aggressive.
When I bought my BE-100 New it was back in 2015 and after I had it for a while, I felt it was "Too Smooth" kind of like Neal Schon (total Respect!!!) I also like the Rawness of Blackmore, EVH, Lynch and Sykes so I had Dave modify my BE-100, actually eight sessions over the years at his shop, I also referenced my two "Marshall Jose amps" to Dave, so my BE-100 is more Plexi/JCM800/JTM45/JMP/JEL and Jose influences. It actually "smoked" my Wizard MCII 100w which is Very-Aggressive though different type of amp.

It is possible with a "Stock BE-100" next to an Icon, the Icon "Is more aggressive" but also James designed the Icon with more Metal Intensions for sales consideration (more flexibility), kind of like the Mesa JP-2C was a variation of the MKV but more aggressive for Metal-sales, where the stock BE is more up to hard rock ability.

This might only be me, but I prefer Eddie "back in the day" Van Halen 1 and II, I wasn't into VH III and after, I can tell you I've meet many many people that love the Sammy period but didn't care for Eddie's guitar/amp tone? They loved the Music of the whole band, even Michael sounded Clearer! (Andy Johns).... Eddie in the early days tone was really piercing and pretty trebly, now the Recorded version VH I & II "Filled out" the frequencies (Donn Landee engineering),

I feel James wanted to give players those early tones from the early VH Albums without breaking the bank! and yet a great sounding, affordable instrument.

Last edited:

pittbull

Reaction score
James Brown wanted the Iconic to achieve early Van Halen plus Eddies modern sound,compared to the Peavey 5150 and the EVH 5150 III which in my opinion and many others it couldn’t achieve the early Van Halen sound because it was to modern/metal sounding the Iconic is more modded Marshall plexi early Van Halen I also believe Eddie wanted the Iconic to achieve his early sound

PowerTube44

Reaction score
I'm going to toss a concept out here. Feel free to agree or disagree. As we all know, that coveted early EVH sound was... tada! A MARSHALL. So therefore, it Marshall would release an amp that has that sound like the Iconic does, I'll bet it would sell like crazy. Many people say that the Iconic is a very much a modded Marshall sound, so why doesn't Marshall offer that?

Like I've always said, it's not about the AMOUNT of gain an amp has. It's about the voicing. For example, I hear people say that "the JVM has plenty of gain!" Sure it does, but it's not the sound I want and I'm sure that applies to a lot of people.

So come on, Marshall. Give us your take on the early EVH brown sound.

MantraSky

Reaction score
Eddie actually didn’t like the early albums tone, as his pickup got hotter at least from 8-10.8k, everyone already knows Ed’s association with different companies.

I’ve had a chance to play the Icon live, it sounded good it doesn’t have the ferociousness of his Marshall Plexi’s maybe closer to the 5150 (block) but overall good. This also includes my BE-100 just kills!

Status
Not open for further replies.