I'm Not A Fan Of Boss Ge-7

• Thread starter mtm105
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mtm105

Reaction score
it's on my board. all I can do is think of removing it. Maybe GE-7 is more of a metal thing.

I had PE-4 (Parametric) I sold and regret to this day.

I've got J Rockett boutique High Top (AC 30) EQ in mail gonna likely kick it off. Stupid thing is I paid about same for J Rockett as I would a used PE-4. I read it doesn't like a lot of input. that's going to be an issue for me.

upload_2016-7-20_14-2-40.jpeg

Last edited:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
it's on my board. all I can do is think of removing it. Maybe GE-7 is more of a metal thing.

I had PE-4 (Parametric) I sold and regret to this day.

I've got J Rockett boutique High Top (AC 30) EQ in mail gonna likely kick it off. Stupid thing is I paid about same for J Rockett as I would a used PE-4. I read it doesn't like a lot of input. that's going to be an issue for me.

View attachment 36085
Its not a metal thing for me at all. Maybe you're not an EQ guy, you just don't need it. Don't feel you gotta use it cuz other people do. Me on the other hand I need a GE-7, it adds girth to tones from another thin sounding pedal or pushes the dirt further or adds just a smidgen of OD onto an already overdriven amp or fattens tone. Lots of ways to use it :yesway:

I have mine set with all the EQ sliders in the middle and the level slider up one notch. Set this way helps shape your tone, try using it on every other tone you use and see what it does for you.

Last edited:

voxman

Reaction score
The Boss GE-7 is an industry standard (although a mod can reduce noise). You can use an EQ pedal to shape your EQ tone, but it can also provide either a gain boost or a clean boost, depending on where you place it. In my view, an EQ used properly can be one of the most effective pedals in your tone arsenal, and when you consider the cost and (often) uncertainty of a speaker change, an EQ can reap tonal dividends in a cheap, non-invasive and fully portable manner.

To shape EQ cleanly with no gain boost (i.e. with no added distortion) it's best to place the EQ in your amps effects loop. I use a 7-band EQ pedal in the effects loop of my Valvetronix AD120VTX amp. This is an old poor sound quality vid of mine just done with a cheap Kodak camera but it hopefully shows how an EQ can really add 'oomph' to your tone:

You can also use an EQ by placing it in front of your amp (i.e. not in the FX loop). In my conventional pedal board my GE-7 is at the end ofthe pedal chain. This still gives me good EQ shaping control and a fair scope for a clean boost. If you wanted a gain boost you could put the GE-7 earlier in the signal chain. And there's nothing to stop you having one EQ in the FX loop for clean EQ shaping/boosting and one in front of the amp for gain shaping.

The GE-7 EQ is a very versatile tool and it's well worth experimenting with it because it can be used as a tone shaper, and/or a clean boost or a gain boost to lift lead solo's. With a conventional pedal board or my AD120VTX, I wouldn't be without one. I also use it in the FX loop of my Marshall JCM2000-DSL401 and it makes a devastating difference. My 2003 amp has the stock Gold speaker which is oft criticized, and also the red higher gain channel is known for being too 'mushy'. The GE-7 works magic by transforming and clarifying tone, adding bottom end whilst allowing the highs to still be there, upping volume and punch, and turns the amp (especially on the red channel) into a tone monster!

Another pedal you might want to try is a BBE Sonic Stomp Maximiser - although it has some similarity with an EQ it's not an EQ in the conventional way, but adds a dynamic and definition to your tone that can be best described as 'taking the blanket off your amp you never knew you had'. The GE-7 does this to an extent too, but they sound and work differently. The problem with all guitar speakers is that they are a compromise because they are trying to process a multitude of different frequencies being thrown at them, all at the same time. What the BBESSM does is to seprate high and low frequencies such that they are reaching you speaker at fractionally different speeds (slightly out of phase) so that your speakers can process the frequencies more effectively. The result is similar to an EQ but a little different i.e. greater punch, clarity that helps you cut through the mix better, but with a bigger more '3D' feel. Because they do slightly different things I use both an EQ and a BBESSM in the FX loop of my AD120VTX (BBESSM at the end of the chain) and they work beautifully together.

Here's a pro video demo of the BBESSM:

Last edited:

Easton55

Reaction score
Another question on these, is it actually worth having another set of cables in the way, to have it run through the loop, as opposed to one set of cables and having it in the main chain with the rest of the boxes? I'm truly asking, as I've never used an effects loop before now. Just really wasn't looking forward to have more cables in the road to hook it up this way if the plus side isn't really worth it.

voxman

Reaction score
Another question on these, is it actually worth having another set of cables in the way, to have it run through the loop, as opposed to one set of cables and having it in the main chain with the rest of the boxes? I'm truly asking, as I've never used an effects loop before now. Just really wasn't looking forward to have more cables in the road to hook it up this way if the plus side isn't really worth it.

If you want to use the EQ for clean EQ shaping and/or clean volume boost, then yes, most definitely. But you should experiment to see what works best for you because results in the FX loop can also vary depending on type of loop e.g. serial v parallel.

voxman

Reaction score
Why would a graphic equalizer be deemed a "metal thing" at all. It is a freaking equalizer.

Thread sucks form get go, my opinion.

Actually, a lot of metal players like to use an EQ to 'scoop the mids' and up the bass frequencies to give a more metal sound. Personally, I think this is a very good thread topic. I'd been playing for 20 years until I discovered the benefits of an EQ in my set-up. You'd be amazed at the number of players who have spent small fortunes on speaker and valve changes to try and get the tone they want, only to discover that a cheap EQ often gives them what they need.

An EQ is probably one of the most misunderstood and under-utilised tools that guitarists have at their disposal - used correctly, it cn be real tonal game-changer!

dreyn77

Reaction score
It's boss's electrical component selection. That's their sound selection tone.
Just turn down the gain dial on the amp if you want less 'metal'.

You've got to listen to the sound which seems to make those strings you boost, get louder in the chord you play.
Don't focus on the boss trademark sound tone effect.
It's as if you're saying you've bought a Ferrari but you don't like the car.

mtm105

Reaction score
The GE-7 EQ is a very versatile tool and it's well worth experimenting with it because it can be used as a tone shaper, and/or a clean boost or a gain boost to lift lead solo's.

Another pedal you might want to try is a BBE Sonic Stomp Maximiser - although it has some similarity with an EQ it's not an EQ in the conventional way, but adds a dynamic and definition to your tone that can be best described as 'taking the blanket off your amp you never knew you had'. ]

GE-7 doesn't seem to add to my tone. It creates more problems than solves. I'm a tone tweaker. I like simple Amps, or else I'm living in a world where there is another tone inside the Amp waiting for me to unlock. I like parametric EQ because there is a sweep in there I leave it and love it.

I failed to mention I have Exciter in chain. It's a virtual EQ. I should leave it at that. Only issue is that it doesn't work well with chorus for some reason.

http://www.guitarplayer.com/miscellaneous/1139/aphex-xciter-pedals/17389

I have rack BBE Sonic Max. It's snake oil. They only work with Solid State Amps. I couldn't even sell it on Ebay for $30.

Last edited:

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
GE-7 doesn't seem to add to my tone. It creates more problems than solves. I'm a tone tweaker. I like simple Amps, .

and that's ok too but to be honest,you've been through so much off the wall gear in the last year & never sticking w/ one thing through all conditions,seasons,& mood swings,etc. i doubt you know what you really like @ this point.
(no offense)

tone tweaker or tone "chaser"- big difference.

voxman

Reaction score
" I have rack BBE Sonic Max. It's snake oil. They only work with Solid State Amps. I couldn't even sell it on Ebay for $30."

Sorry, no offence intended, but that's just plain nonsense. I have 3 all-valve amps - a Laney Cub12R, Laney VC30-210, and a Marshall JCM2000 DSL401. I use the BBESSM in the FX loop and it works beautifully with all of them!

mtm105

Reaction score
and that's ok too but to be honest,you've been through so much off the wall gear in the last year & never sticking w/ one thing through all conditions,seasons,& mood swings,etc. i doubt you know what you really like @ this point.
(no offense)

tone tweaker or tone "chaser"- big difference.

I've had both EQ's for about 10 years. I know I like Exciter. I know I don't like GE-7. GE-7 is rather popular. Exciter isn't. I go against the grain for as long as I can. It's a noble effort.

last two years I've run the gamut in gear. I like Class A single channel boutique Amps. Speakers, I've got four different quality Cabs to suit my efforts. I like Cascading OD with mix/match of BOSS Amp sims going out. Guitar Les Paul studio and Strat SSH.

tone tweak/chase. semantics IMO.

Is Billy tweaking or chasing here??

There is a very opinionated member banned from another forum whom I now happen to be FB friends with. He believes that he is the ultimate authority in knowledge of what is good tone and what works. He doesn't gig. Never will. He works as a landscaper. I aspire not to become like him. Nothing wrong with an honest job, but some people over-compensate for their own lack of effort in life with something else.

Last edited:

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fish & Chips EQ. INEXPENSIVE and still going when my MXR 108 10 band died under 2 yrs.

Gigged tried and true. Too many gadgets is too many gadgets.

dptone5

Reaction score
I have the Monte Allums modded Boss GE-7. Super quiet. Use it in my loop for either tone shaping or for a boost. Works great for both applications.

DP

Dmann

Reaction score
There is a very opinionated member banned from another forum whom I now happen to be FB friends with. He believes that he is the ultimate authority in knowledge of what is good tone and what works. He doesn't gig. Never will. He works as a landscaper. I aspire not to become like him. Nothing wrong with an honest job, but some people over-compensate for their own lack of effort in life with something else.

LOL you just described the majority of "musicians" in the world hahaha