In defense of high ticket prices?

• Thread starter Mike_LA
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mike_LA

Reaction score
OK, Yes ticket prices are stoooopidly high.

But after watching

Metallica - Live in Minneapolis​

I gotta say, that's not a cheap show to put on.

The Stage/Lighting/Video package seem next level, quite impressive.

Frodebro

Reaction score
I watched a documentary the other day about their current tour, the sound system they’re running is insane.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I gotta say, that's not a cheap show to put on.

The Stage/Lighting/Video package seem next level, quite impressive.
plus renting out the venue, security, crew, vendors, etc...

Not all shows are dealt w/ in the same way though. Like, a band playing clubs isn't putting anywhere near that.

That said, I totally hate the "live in round" experience... I'd be pissed to pay a few hundred dollars to look at the back of their heads for ½ the show, or more... every time I've been "back stage", I was either there for free, or being paid to be there... then I don't mind so much looking at the back of their heads so much...

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
I still prefer clubs and small venues. Usually cheaper and I don’t need a big production.

Saw a LA venue tried facial recognition tickets the other day. I still can’t get used to the phone tickets. lol

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
There is no revenue through album sales these days so...
&... tbh, for the most part, the bands don't make bank on the tickets, they get swallowed up by brokers scalpers who put an upcharge & 5 different handling fees, which turns your $99 ticket into a $599 ticket...

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I saw a Zep cover band Get the Led Out in a college arena last year for $25, the sound and the lights were incredible. These bands like Metallica are spoiled people who think it costs millions to put on a great show. It really doesn't...

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Bands don't make money off of record/CD sales like they used to. Everybody expects free or almost free music.
This is why every band tours these days. Forget retirement, forget sitting on your butts and letting the royalties roll in, they make money off of live performances and sales of merchandise.

The internet broke the royalty model of getting paid for making music.

circles

Reaction score
I'd trade ALL the pyrotechnics for a light show and a spot light, maybe smoke bomb or two. I'd be quite happy if a band just got up on stage and played, without the all the crap like that. If that's where my money is going. I especially hate giant projection screens.

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently living in a van down by the river.
Their stage platform looks like a gigantic Titl-A-Whirl.

iu

Last edited:

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
The point of giant projection screens is to give the people in the nosebleed rows something to see. Not everybody brings a high powered telescope with him to see the band playing from half a mile away!

Nkyrental

Reaction score
Everyone has their limits, whether it is affordability or something else. most are past mine. I am no longer enamored with crowds, especially how most people act these days. Wanted to see Sammy Hagar and the EVH tour, but a seated ticket in Cincy was $349, so nope.