In Light Of The New Dsl...

• Thread starter Adrian R
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Adrian R

Reaction score

Whatever Danny, the net is full of all kinds of data, please don't appear to be stupid enough to believe all of it. Fact is in all the years of visiting this site, like nearly a decade, I have rarely if ever followef a thread, or even saw one in where a member was experiencing the problem. In fact, the only threads involving this issue were those talking about the potentiality of it occuring. I have owned 3, no issues, I have friends who have had them with only instance, but it was a P/T issue. Overwhelmingly my experience with them is all good, this is what I base my views on. The world be better off if people would do the same; that is to make decisions based on their own observations instead of being mislead through propaganda.

charveldan

Reaction score
Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
Charveldan,

It’s now 2017. The few affected units were long ago repaired or returned. The chances of someone unknowingly “walking into a disaster” now is exceedingly minimal. So minimal, in fact, as to make it a non issue altogether. I bought my 1997 made DSL100 without fear. It hasn’t come close to letting me down.
Thats not true at all, what are you the keeper of all the worlds DSL's ?
The more you use the amps, the hotter the boards get no not all but many people have no idea and the right to know thats all im saying. Go change your panties i think you soiled yourself.

charveldan

Reaction score
Whatever Danny, the net is full of all kinds of data, please don't appear to be stupid enough to believe all of it. Fact is in all the years of visiting this site, like nearly a decade, I have rarely if ever followef a thread, or even saw one in where a member was experiencing the problem. In fact, the only threads involving this issue were those talking about the potentiality of it occuring. I have owned 3, no issues, I have friends who have had them with only instance, but it was a P/T issue. Overwhelmingly my experience with them is all good, this is what I base my views on. The world be better off if people would do the same; that is to make decisions based on their own observations instead of being mislead through propaganda.
You swapped a DSL board yourself, who you think your talking to ?

dslman

Reaction score
I'd probably not get another JCM2000 head, only cause I'm not into modding, I did the O/T, choke, reverb tank, bright cap 330pf, and speaker jack on my DSL50 and it kinda spoils you.
They sound considerably better and tighter than stock.
I had a few unmodded 2K 100watt heads that had the tranny hum and it was annoying. Although the mods to the tranny would have helped the hum considerably.
I only have the DSL50 and the 100H , the 100H is a great sounding head with lots of oomph.
I don't feel the need to do any mods on it.

cliffenstein

Reaction score
Thats not true at all, what are you the keeper of all the worlds DSL's ?
The more you use the amps, the hotter the boards get no not all but many people have no idea and the right to know thats all im saying. Go change your panties i think you soiled yourself.

No, sir...I’m only the keeper of mine as well as my personal experience and my own common sense.

Tell me about your personal experience with owning, using, rehearsing and gigging with the supposed bad years of the JCM 2000 DSL100 amp head.

charveldan

Reaction score
No, sir...I’m only the keeper of mine as well as my personal experience and my own common sense.

Tell me about your personal experience with owning, using, rehearsing and gigging with the supposed bad years of the JCM 2000 DSL100 amp head.
Mine is a 2009, ive had no problems. I didn't claims [yours] did. Only that there have been issues.
I myself would prolly not buy a pre 2005. I had no idea about bias problems when i bought mine i just lucked out.
Mine has been for sale 3 weeks on CL here and haven't had much luck, and there have been several other DSL's new & old, 900's, 800's, JMP's and not much is selling, just lowballers.

cliffenstein

Reaction score
Mine is a 2009, ive had no problems. I didn't claims [yours] did. Only that there have been issues.
I myself would prolly not buy a pre 2005. I had no idea about bias problems when i bought mine i just lucked out.

1. You didn’t luck out...JCM 2000 DSLs are great amps.

2. You have no experience with the supposed bad DSL years. I, and others right here on this board and even in this thread, DO HAVE experience with this era of DSL. You may want to consider that going forward.

3. What many people with the actual experience are saying is that the documented issues weren’t as far and wide as they are made out to be and the models manufactured during the years in question that are still out on the wild are great amps.

Adrian R

Reaction score
Mine has been for sale 3 weeks on CL here and haven't had much luck, and there have been several other DSL's new & old, 900's, 800's, JMP's and not much is selling, just lowballers.

You're selling the DSL?

mk2 steve

Reaction score

Because you’re asking way too much for your amp on CL ($700). I’ve seen it on STL CL for a while now. My buddy just picked up a mint JCM2000 DSL from Bridgeton GC for $420, there have been others in and out of there from between $450 and $550. $700 is simply way too high an asking price. STL CL is full of dreamers, like the guy asking $400 for a set of MF V30 speakers. When you can buy an entire MF cab with the same speakers for $300 or less. Stupid.

I owned and very regularly gigged a 2004 DSL100 head which I bought new, for nearly 10 years, never had any bias issues. That thing was being used for hours almost daily at one point and never skipped a beat.

Last edited:

charveldan

Reaction score
Because you’re asking way too much for your amp on CL ($700). I’ve seen it on STL CL for a while now. My buddy just picked up a mint JCM2000 DSL from Bridgeton GC for $420, there have been others in and out of there from between $450 and $550. $700 is simply way too high an asking price. STL CL is full of dreamers, like the guy asking $400 for a set of MF V30 speakers. When you can buy an entire MF cab with the same speakers for $300 or less. Stupid.

I owned and very regularly gigged a 2004 DSL100 head which I bought new, for nearly 10 years, never had any bias issues. That thing was being used for hours almost daily at one point and never skipped a beat.
Well then go to GC i dont deal with them. Reverb & Ebay have them going for $700, mine is in immaculate condition. $420 is a ripp off but then GC is a rippoff. I don't need to sell my amp at all. I can only imagine the quality of DSL you got for $400 bucks from GC. Sounds like a bunch of Crackheads. Im going to trade my DSL for a modded Bugera, i hear they're "the soul of valves". BTW i had alot better offers than $420 ... lol.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr....TRS0&_nkw=marshall+jcm+2000+dsl+100&_sacat=0

https://Reverb(dot)com/marketplace?query=Marshall+JCM+2000+DSL100+Head

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

charveldan

Reaction score
1. You didn’t luck out...JCM 2000 DSLs are great amps.

2. You have no experience with the supposed bad DSL years. I, and others right here on this board and even in this thread, DO HAVE experience with this era of DSL. You may want to consider that going forward.

3. What many people with the actual experience are saying is that the documented issues weren’t as far and wide as they are made out to be and the models manufactured during the years in question that are still out on the wild are great amps.
"lucked out" as in i got a 2005 or later DSL after they fixed the boards. Just because my amp isnt effected doesn't mean there aren't problems, you sound like a real smart guy. I heard people walked on the Moon but just cause {I} haven't doesn't mean it didn't happen. Sounds like you are in denial "it hasn't happened to me therefore it doesn't exist".

Last edited:

mk2 steve

Reaction score
Well then go to GC i dont deal with them. Reverb & Ebay have them going for $700, mine is in immaculate condition. $420 is a ripp off but then GC is a rippoff. I don't need to sell my amp at all. I can only imagine the quality of DSL you got for $400 bucks from GC. Sounds like a bunch of Crackheads. Im going to trade my DSL for a modded Bugera, i hear they're "the soul of valves". BTW i had alot better offers than $420 ... lol.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr....TRS0&_nkw=marshall+jcm+2000+dsl+100&_sacat=0

https://Reverb(dot)com/marketplace?query=Marshall+JCM+2000+DSL100+Head

His amp is mint, sounds great, clean inside and out. No issues at all. Has been used the last few band practices for a few hours at a time and has worked flawlessly.

$400-$500 IMO is all a DSL is worth. People will go where they can get it cheaper, if you want to try and sell yours for a ridiculous price then don’t whine when it doesn’t sell. Also I noticed your original ad asked for trades for an LP, higher spec than a Studio. If you think someone will trade a $1000+ LP Classic / Trad for an old DSL, then you’re delirious.

I love when people say they don’t need to sell. Why is it for sale then? Why are you complaining it hasn’t sold for a stupid price? Just because people list them at $700 doesn’t mean they’re worth that. It’s a buyers market right now. Ironically, the first amp on your top link is $579 or best offer. Not sure why you’d prove my point for me but thanks?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

charveldan

Reaction score
Good luck with that.

Ultimately the price of something is whatever someone is willing to pay.

In my experience GC is full of Shit gear for inflated prices, staffed by a bunch of minimum wagers that have no idea WTF they're doing.

Why list something for sale ? Why not ?

Why do cars on a lot have prices ? does that mean thats what you're going to pay ?

Why do people trade gear ? Why is it cold in winter ? What is the Capital of Antonia ?

These questions and more on the next "price is right".

Last edited:

mk2 steve

Reaction score
Good luck with that.

Ultimately the price of something is whatever someone is willing to pay.

In my experience GC is full of Shit gear for inflated prices, staffed by a bunch of minimum wagers that have no idea WTF they're doing.

Why list something for sale ? Why not ?

Why do cars on a lot have prices ? does that mean thats what you're going to pay ?

These questions and more on the next "price is right".

Good luck with what?

Your experience seems suspicious based on knocking amps from a certain period which you have zero on hands experience with. If you don’t like GC, don’t shop there. However, they have a 45 day return policy, which means you have plenty of “break in” time to put a piece of gear through it’s paces. Versus risking buying an overpriced, potentially stolen / POS amp from some dreamer on CL, with no comeback.

Your comment about cars makes no sense, sticker prices are rarely what you’ll pay. Again, proving my point for me?

charveldan

Reaction score
So by {your} rationale some dude {you} know bought a cheap DSL > therefore the prices of all DSL's should be dirt cheap.

I actually got better offers after i raised my asking price.

Guitar Center is junk bond status. They could sell all the gear in every guitar center across the USA today and GC would still be in debt.

Good luck with that.

Last edited:

mk2 steve

Reaction score
So by {your} rationale some dude {you} know bought a cheap DSL > therefore the prices of all DSL's should be dirt cheap.

I actually got better offers after i raised my asking price.

Guitar Center is junk bond status. They could sell all the gear in every guitar center across the USA today and GC would still be in debt.

Good luck with that.

I'm basing my experience on the 5 different DSL heads I've owned over the last few years, plus the other Marshalls I've bought and sold also during that time, ranging from 900s, 800s, JMPs etc. Also basing my experience of the bias drift on amps I've actually owned from that period, something you have no experience of yourself. My friend (and various other musicians I know) buying and selling them for around the same cost proves my point and backs up my own personal experience.

DSLs are cheap because they're extremely easy to come by. They aren't desirable like an 800 or similar. That's not to say they aren't great amps, but they're common AF.

You hate GC, cool. Doesn't mean there aren't great deals to be had, providing you aren't a total moron. And a return policy to back up any purchase if the amp does happen to go south.

Again, good luck with what?

charveldan

Reaction score
I'm basing my experience on the 5 different DSL heads I've owned over the last few years, plus the other Marshalls I've bought and sold also during that time, ranging from 900s, 800s, JMPs etc. Also basing my experience of the bias drift on amps I've actually owned from that period, something you have no experience of yourself. My friend (and various other musicians I know) buying and selling them for around the same cost proves my point and backs up my own personal experience.

DSLs are cheap because they're extremely easy to come by. They aren't desirable like an 800 or similar. That's not to say they aren't great amps, but they're common AF.

You hate GC, cool. Doesn't mean there aren't great deals to be had, providing you aren't a total moron. And a return policy to back up any purchase if the amp does happen to go south.

Again, good luck with what?

*** {disclaimer, none of this Awesome gear was bought @ GC}

Lack of ownership does NOT = lack of Knowledge
You seem to have an incessant need to be right about everything you talk about to the extent that you try to push your views on other people which translates to a very narrow view of the World and a closed mind.

Last edited: