Incoming! HNAKD, Mojotone MV JMP 2204

• Thread starter Gunner64
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking very nice, straight leads and nice wire dress. I love the attention to detail.

The one thing I didn’t like was the blue turret board, yuck, I made my own.

Your build looks great.
Thanks R.C., i know you appreciate attention to detail by your builds, which look great as well.

I'm on the other side with the blue turret board, I kinda like it. I think it sets off the yellow caps, I dig the visual. It doesn't look vintage but I did a few things different than vintage, so it doesn't look vintage anyway.

There are factory blue st1 boards in amps from the 2203/4 JMP era, so blue may be kinda vintage. :D

The only gripe I have is I wish the cans wern't white, and didn't say mojotone all over them in a silly looking font.

Finished it up this afternoon, I'll post some more pics after I have time to power it up, which wasn't today..lol.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m with you on the blue board highlighting the yellow caps and also the white cans are kinda ugly.

I did something new with this build, the heater wire on pin 9 I made it come up from the socket vs following the chassis to the corner. It’s a hybrid of Marshall and fender. View attachment 126057
Yea I saw that. Look at a Soldano, they have un insulated straight buss wire floating over the sockets for the heaters. Looks cool but idk..seems insulation would be better so why not have it.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I wish it was easier to post pics. The whole resizing thing sucks. I'd be posting more pics but it such a PITA anymore. I'm always posting on an android phone, and I have to physically scrunch the pics down, and lose half the shot.

And advice in that area whole be appreciated..ever since they changed the format it's always "file size too large." Never had that issue before the last upgrade.
Your build is coming along nice! I use Imgur, upload photos from my phone to them and share them, never have any problems! :yesway:

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your build is coming along nice! I use Imgur, upload photos from my phone to them and share them, never have any problems! :yesway:
Thanks for the complement Paul, appreciate it!

I need to get something for resizing.

The android has a image scrunch type thing but I have to take such a wide pic to be able to scrunch it down to show what I'm trying to show and still be a small enough file size to fit here.

I used to just use the "attach files" box here on threads and they would post without issue direct from the cam on my phone. For some reason that won't work anymore.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Thanks for the complement Paul, appreciate it!

I need to get something for resizing.

The android has a image scrunch type thing but I have to take such a wide pic to be able to scrunch it down to show what I'm trying to show and still be a small enough file size to fit here.

I used to just use the "attach files" box here on threads and they would post without issue direct from the cam on my phone. For some reason that won't work anymore.
Imgur I dont have to resize pictures to post here.

Adrian R

Reaction score
No I monkeyed Abit with my other clone, adding a tube, diodes, ppimv, bright cap values, ect. And always went back to stock. Right now I have a hot mod v2 in it which is the only mod it needs.

It was nice to have a clone to experiment on some, and not mess with an original.

I really like the looks of the late 70s early 80s JMP pre 800 2203/2204, so while I'm sure the amp will sound like it should, I pretty much bought this one for the look..

I'm sorry but I'm not paying 3 to 4k for an original. Prices are absolutely freaking insane anymore here in the U.S. I'm old enough to remember when they almost gave these things away.
Congrats dude! Pics when you're done.... I hear you about the prices on these orginal, old ass amps..nutz... People are out of their minds paying these prices.... I too remember one could go to GC back in the 1990s...and early 2000s picking up 2204s for $500. It's tantamount to people spending 50k on a new HD CVO..a basically inferior motorcycle compared to much of the competition...absolutely nutzzz.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats dude! Pics when you're done.... I hear you about the prices on these orginal, old ass amps..nutz... People are out of their minds paying these prices.... I too remember one could go to GC back in the 1990s...and early 2000s picking up 2204s for $500. It's tantamount to people spending 50k on a new HD CVO..a basically inferior motorcycle compared to much of the competition...absolutely nutzzz.
Thanks Man, I hope to do a photo dump here after I get it in the headbox, and get it safely fired up.

These Heyboers remind me alot of the classictones, which remind me of the Drakes..massive.heavy. I may get a set and tear the chi- trans out of the Weber 1987/2204 I built a few years ago. These things dwarf them.

Yea, I refuse to pay that much for originals. I have no problem with building and playing clones. This one, even after the headbox (I traded a Boss hm pedal, that I think I had $20 in for the box a few years ago) will come in around $700-$725. One third of the price of an original, and it hasn't been fucked with, modded, or "upgraded" for 40+ years...that and I just flat out love working on this stuff..

Last edited:

Adrian R

Reaction score
Thanks Man, I hope to do a photo dump here after I get it in the headbox, and get it safely fired up.

These Heyboers remind me alot of the classictones, which remind me of the Drakes..massive.heavy. I may get a set and tear the chi- trans out of the Weber 1987/2204 I built a few years ago. These things dwarf them.

Yea, I refuse to pay that much for originals. I have no problem with building and playing clones. This one, even after the headbox (I traded a Boss hm pedal, that I think I had $20 in for the box a few years ago) will come in around $700-$725. One third of the price of an original, and it hasn't been fucked with, modded, or "upgraded" for 40+ years...that and I just flat out love working on this stuff..
Indeed, that's why I put them in my DSLs...huge difference...tighter, deeper, more punch...

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welp I Fired it up. All voltages good. No smoke..lol.

Installed the tubes, 405v b+ loaded, set the bias at 40ma.

Works perfect and sounds awesome, sounds just like a 2204, loud and in your face. Clear and articulate. Nicely distorts. I was driving the woman nuts with Balls to the Wall and High and Dry...some Heading out to the Highway, but I don't think she appreciated it like I did. :D

It's very quiet. No hum, buzz or anything else.

Very happy so far with it, and I would recommend it to anyone with the skills to build who's wanting a JMP style 2204. Can't beat the price.

I have to get it in the headbox, and I'll post some more pics when I get a chance.

thanks to all who commented. I appreciate the support.

:applause: