• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Instrument Cables...

• Thread starter Marshall Stack
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JeffMcLeod

Reaction score
Livewire. They're not the top of the line, but you get a lifetime warranty.

Kinda like Craftsman tools; guaranteed to break, but you get a free replacement. :coffee:

Derrick111

Reaction score
Surprised nobody mentioned the old tried and true ProCo or the Whirlwind cables... Jeez, I have toured and played countless local shows with them and they are super reliable and affordable. I have only had to replace twice in 30 years. Both times was from a band member standing on my cable while I was bouncing off the walls and snapped it internally form the yank. Another great option is Redco! They sell high quality connectors and cable by the foot and possibly makes cables to order as well. I used them many times to outfit my studio with all sorts of cabling/connectors to my mix console and other outboard gear. Redco is in CT and they are run by two awesome dudes.

MartyVee

Reaction score
This may or may not be important to some on this forum but I thought I'd post my thoughts on the subject just in case. For radio station audio equipment interconnects in particular, be it with balanced audio lines or unbalanced, the use of fully shielded cables is a must. I've personally experienced significant RFI issues with pro audio equipment and guitars amplifier setups which utilized even one or two so-called high quality name brand pre-made guitar cables, the manufacturer of which I will not name here. Come to find out, their cables had a poor spiral wrap shield design instead of a full tight braid. Any bends in most spiral wrap shield types not only opens the shielding to the outside world, but it also becomes a coil (an inductor) which can actually boost the unwanted signals that a good shield is designed to keep out. Of course there's other important characteristics to consider in guitar cables design other than just the shielding. For my pro audio, stereo and Ham radio interconnects I fabricate my own cables using Canary cable/wire. I'm sure Belden and others have top notch cable/wire to choose from also, it's just that my local supplier carries Canary in stock. Cheers & Keep On Rockin"

Karl Brake

Reaction score
Mogami. They're expensive, but are really shielded well...no stray radio stations coming through high gain modes, much less random noise, with really tough connectors. Really worth it.

lespaul339

Reaction score
I like my Lava Coil Cable. I've had it for close to a decade with no issues.

Dean Swindell

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a brand of guitar cables that hold up well? A lot of my cables are from the late 90s and are starting to go bad. I used to cut the ends off and put on a new jack but I would rather have something else and the ones that are good I'll use for backup at home.
After fiddling with stupid Monster Cables that never held up, I went back to 8' ProCo Straight/Right angle and never looked back. Been happy ever since. I Also have a couple 10' George L's that I love, you have to use them a lot to get the cable to soften up and lay down but although some people are skeptical of non-solder cords, I've never had one fail - except when I got too nervous at a gig and over tightened the thumb screw. They're actually great cords.

yafal

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a brand of guitar cables that hold up well? A lot of my cables are from the late 90s and are starting to go bad. I used to cut the ends off and put on a new jack but I would rather have something else and the ones that are good I'll use for backup at home.
Hi, definitely DiMarzio. You can't go wrong with them. Any cable has it's sound, but these are the most transparent I could think of, at a fair price.

John Stedman

Reaction score
I made my own for many years using Canare or Mogami wire with Switchcraft connectors. Lately I've been buying pre-made Yorkville Sound Studio One (18 gauge center conductor with Amphenol ends) and they've become my go-to guitar cable. Any lower in gauge and they'd be speaker cables, ha!

Sapient

 
Reaction score
eating-popcorn-vjrw8ql8yz.gif

johnny q

Reaction score
I keep saying this, but I think the MXR Pro Series Instrument Cable is a great choice. Low price, Low Capacitance, scored well in noise tests and very well constructed. They are also quite supple and don't kink up or coil. I use them from guitar to pedalboard and pedalboard to amp.

junk notes

Reaction score
I used to do this :erk:
full

until I was shown to do something like this through your guitar strap instead of strap and body where it pinches and internally severs and breaks..
71cCw7Lu7CL._AC_SX569_.jpg

Now my cables last a little longer. :thumbs:

Derrick111

Reaction score
I used to do this :erk:
full

until I was shown to do something like this through your guitar strap instead of strap and body where it pinches and internally severs and breaks..
71cCw7Lu7CL._AC_SX569_.jpg

Now my cables last a little longer. :thumbs:
Eh... that looks like a royal pain in the ass. For what it's worth, I've been using the same Whirlwind cables for over 20 years, touring in punk bands no less, and I've never had an issue the regular way. Mine are still going strong. I could see that happening to cheap cables like Hosa though, so maybe it depends on the quality?

junk notes

Reaction score
Eh... that looks like a royal pain in the ass.
lol no, not a gizmo, no mention of it?
something like this through your guitar strap instead of
Put your cable through your guitar strap, not that thing?
Anyway, I feel the same way about that thing!
Do not do what is shown in the first image, if you really do care about your hard earned cable$ and want them to last.:2c:

Latest posts