Invasion of Used 2555X's

• Thread starter Human Steve
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Adrian R

Reaction score
Going to be trying out a 2555x myself over the next several weeks, just want to see what the fuss is about and how it compares to my other amps. I don't plan on keeping it, but I have to satisfy my curiosity.

Dude, you've got some nice amps listed there in your sig...Might as well get one for posterity reasons!

I like the way they look and sound...based on what I heard in the audio links/youtube... I still though think it could use a *clean* boost to tighten up the bottom end, however that is totally subjective. I like the mids though...very unique and hip sounding...yet pure Marshall...

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Dude, you've got some nice amps listed there in your sig...Might as well get one for posterity reasons!

I like the way they look and sound...based on what I heard in the audio links/youtube... I still though think it could use a *clean* boost to tighten up the bottom end, however that is totally subjective. I like the mids though...very unique and hip sounding...yet pure Marshall...

Yeah, I keep telling myself I'm going to narrow it down to the 2 best and sell the rest. So far, it hasn't happened. :scratch:

Human Steve

Reaction score

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Here's two for $1300 each, FREE shipping on one, $80 on the other. These are the two cheapest I've seen so far. More where these came from. Just gotta look. In my own defense, I'm searching gear all hours of the day even if I'm not buying haha

http://www.musicgoround.com/p/41273...jubilee-100-watt-reissue-tube-head-guitar-amp

http://www.musicgoround.com/p/397192/used-marshall-2555x-silver-jubilee-100w-head

Yeah, those are good prices, and I'm sure there will be more to come. "Searching" can be dangerous and usually leads to buying.

Coronado

Reaction score
They are at each of the GC's here in the Dallas Metroplex, collecting dust. From what I've seen, they don't get a lot of attention, which surprised me. I don't think they have sold even one - I thought they would be gone within the week when they first arrived.

Bloodrock

Reaction score
I think a lot of guys probably bought these when they were first released, being that they were fairly affordable and they'd probably never played a Jube. The amp probably didn't turn out to be THE be all-end all Marshall they've been hyped up to be over the last 30 years so they unloaded them... Just my theory.

Deep Purple fan

Reaction score
This thread is a classic example of error in logic. 2555X is the third best selling Marshall amp by MUSICIANS FRIEND today 12/3/15 and is well ahead DSL100H and all MG amps which considering price is remarkable. For the DSL FANS go to eBay right now and count how many used DSL amps are for sale....I stopped counting at 100 which includes 15 or more each for both DSL40C and DSL100H. I counted 6 used 2555X.

I don't think it's accurate to claim the DSL line is a flop because there are used amps (hundreds)for sale every week.

BTW I own a 2555X and I give it high marks.

Human Steve

Reaction score
Hhhhhhhhhhhh.....

Was the DSL $500 cheaper right after it came out? And did I say the new jube sucked? I was curious, so I asked and apparently I shouldn't have. For the record, I WANT ONE. I know the old ones are good, and I'd like to have one of each. Just found it odd to see as many as I have. is it not good news that the price is quickly becoming more affordable? It's no surprise to me that a reissue would end up much cheaper than an original. That goes for any amp. I'm a little drunk and so what.

Adrian R

Reaction score
Hhhhhhhhhhhh.....

Was the DSL $500 cheaper right after it came out? And did I say the new jube sucked? I was curious, so I asked and apparently I shouldn't have. For the record, I WANT ONE. I know the old ones are good, and I'd like to have one of each. Just found it odd to see as many as I have. is it not good news that the price is quickly becoming more affordable? It's no surprise to me that a reissue would end up much cheaper than an original. That goes for any amp. I'm a little drunk and so what.

Not with respect to the 2203X...their more expensive on average then the original!

Human Steve

Reaction score
Not with respect to the 2203X...their more expensive on average then the original!

Good point, same with the 900s it seems.. I tend to agree with those who say the jube could go the way of the Vintage modern. (Just got mine for $600). I don't think they should ever be considered a bad amp. I wasn't trying to imply that in any way. Maybe I'm just shocked that the almighty Jubilee was reissued and had a ton of hype, and is quickly becoming, "eh". That said, you'd better believe I'll own one very soon. I love the old one, and I'm a sucker for anything Marshall

Adrian R

Reaction score
Good point, same with the 900s it seems.. I tend to agree with those who say the jube could go the way of the Vintage modern. (Just got mine for $600). I don't think they should ever be considered a bad amp. I wasn't trying to imply that in any way. Maybe I'm just shocked that the almighty Jubilee was reissued and had a ton of hype, and is quickly becoming, "eh". That said, you'd better believe I'll own one very soon. I love the old one, and I'm a sucker for anything Marshall

Dude, I'd love to buy one...They sound great for what I have heard, I like the build quality and the way they look...I just don't wanna part with the cash now...Now next spring...hmmm...depending on how much I can make??:hmm: The closer the price gets to a grand the more I would be interested...

Buying used Marshalls is the only way to go...

They live forever man...especially the more simple ones...You just have to replace a component or two every decade or so...:D

Human Steve

Reaction score
Yep. Now I wonder, what about the old ones? They're feeling some affect surely. Seen three of em go cheaper than reissues recently, one of which my buddy picked up, at the same time, some are still close to $3000..

plexilespaul

Reaction score
Yep. Now I wonder, what about the old ones? They're feeling some affect surely. Seen three of em go cheaper than reissues recently, one of which my buddy picked up, at the same time, some are still close to $3000..

allthough now the jube's are in the twighlight zone and it's difficult to make assumptions longtorm IMHO the original jubilee's will be even more collectible at some point even more so before the the 2555x came out. just my prediction. and not because i have one but moreso because thats how the vintage market works. and i am not getting into the tone and structure.
On a side note from what i have heard on youtube the 2555x has more than great tone...and in my opinion its a great modern dersign amp. prob marshalls best new amp around.

Last edited:

Deep Purple fan

Reaction score
Hhhhhhhhhhhh.....

Again, flawed analysis. The most expensive DSL IS $899 brand new. I've seen Mint condition used DSL100s go for $600-650 frequently and have seen them as low as $500. I've seen DSL40C sit on CL for weeks at $400 which is >40% depreciation. I bought my 2555X as a preorder for $1650. I never expected it to rise in price or not depreciate No rational person would think a reissue amp will go up in value. I see reissue 1959SLPs and 2203Xs in the 1000-1300 range all the time which is >50% depreciation. My main point is there is nothing unusual going on with 2555X.

mulletmule

Reaction score
I'd have to think Marshall wouldn't raise the price on the 2555x if there w as no demand. Not that I'm a fan of Marshall,s recent marketing anyway....especially the website:scratch:

You also have to think that some people really don't like the silver. I have to admit I like my black and gold!! Same with the Vintage Modern and the purple. I'm sure that plays a percentage in some of the used amps on the market.

And I can believe they are among the best sellers on musicians friend.

Human Steve

Reaction score
allthough now the jube's are in the twighlight zone and it's difficult to make assumptions longtorm IMHO the original jubilee's will be even more collectible at some point even more so before the the 2555x came out. just my prediction. and not because i have one but moreso because thats how the vintage market works. and i am not getting into the tone and structure.
On a side note from what i have heard on youtube the 2555x has more than great tone...and in my opinion its a great modern dersign amp. prob marshalls best new amp around.

I agree with this. Perhaps this year was just prime time to buy an original jubilee.

As far as my flawed analysis, I'm very sorry. But it's not like I just turned on my computer and saw a 2555X for sale and freaked out... Been seeing quite a few is all I'm saying. The demand for a DSL is a wee bit different than the demand for a Jubilee reissue I would think.

Whatever, I'm over it now, I'll just go buy one of these good deals soon and be appreciative of a great amp, which it does seem to be. (Went and tried one at GC).

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I agree with buying used is the way to go. I've never bought a new Marshall, plenty of "slightly used" or "open box", but never new. To my surprise, my 2555x will be here today (was scheduled for next week), and I can't wait to try it out. It was an "open box" with a 30 day return (local return address). If I end up liking the amp, I'll most likely still return it and keep an eye out for a better price (this one was $1500). The main reason I want to hold out for a better price is because I am one of those mentioned above that just doesn't like the looks of the amp, with the gray/silver tolex, and am only interested in the amp (chassis). The chrome front is OK (still like the gold), and I'm going to see if the chassis fits in my empty JMD head box, which is where it would end up if I buy one to keep. I personally think the amp is priced a bit high at $1899, and should have been in the $1200-$1500 range from the start, but that's just my opinion.

Latest posts