is baking soda & vinegar safe for a household drain?

• Thread starter GibsonMarshallGuy47
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Filipe Soares

Reaction score
When a couple of external drains have been blocked, I've cleared one by hand(just rotten leaves fortunately), and stuck a pressure washer down them for 5 minutes. No issues since.

The other got blocked with coffee grindings, used a chemical product which cleared it after a day, then pressure washed. Will try a bio cleaner though, the chemical stuff is nasty.
the bio cleaner is really weird, you have to dissolve the powder in a bucket, wait for the bacteria to be activated and drain it through the pipes. I had ZERO expectations but in the end was better then the chemical stuff.

C-Grin

Reaction score
Well let me rephrase since I've possibly offended some people:

In my 40 years of home ownership chemical cleaners work well on slow drains. I believe other people have also found this to be true.
If it makes you feel better- you're right and I'm mistaken- this is just my personal experience.
YMMV !
I could care less what you do in your own home, check to see what your local jurisdiction thinks about chemicals going down the drain as that is a problem for the folks at the treatment plant also.

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
I could care less what you do in your own home, check to see what your local jurisdiction thinks about chemicals going down the drain as that is a problem for the folks at the treatment plant also.
No treatment plant. We are on a septic system. Liquid Drano is septic safe. We rarely need to use it anyway and then flush pipes completely with hot water as directed. I'm sure there are no ordinances here if used as directed.

If you don't care what I do in my house why do you insist on telling me the stuff doesn't work! lol

C-Grin

Reaction score
No treatment plant. We are on a septic system. Liquid Drano is septic safe. We rarely need to use it anyway and then flush pipes completely with hot water as directed. I'm sure there are no ordinances here if used as directed.

If you don't care what I do in my house why do you insist on telling me the stuff doesn't work! lol
Yawn, please keep using it.

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
Yawn, please keep using it.
Thank you, I plan on continuing to use it. If needed.

I do appreciate the input though and I certainly would not recommend the stuff for every problem. The OP said his shower drain is just a little slow. Stuff works greart for that scenario - I'm not surprised plumbers don't like it.
;-)

Of course it is, but everything healthy is gross...
C'mon, plenty of healthy things are tasty. I thought you were gonna say it's delicious.

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
Thank you, I plan on continuing to use it. If needed.

I do appreciate the input though and I certainly would not recommend the stuff for every problem. The OP said his shower drain is just a little slow. Stuff works greart for that scenario - I'm not surprised plumbers don't like it.
;-)

C'mon, plenty of healthy things are tasty. I thought you were gonna say it's delicious.

It IS delicious!

JeffMcLeod

Reaction score
Draino/Liquid Plummer has worked just fine for the small clogs.

Plunge the hell out of it when the above didn't work. Usually took care of it.

Honestly, I've only had to call a plumber once in my life. Not sure what the heck my niece did to (or in) the toilet, but after a while, his snake finally worked just before the last resort of having to pull the toilet.

Plumbers are like electricians, nurses, ditch diggers, teachers, engineers, truck drivers, leaf-rakers, etc. I have the utmost respect for what they do; we need them; and we can never have enough of them. :hbang: