Is it worth getting the Origin 50 head?

• Thread starter Yoshiii
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Hello,

Is it worth getting the Origin 50 head? Are these good amps?
Youre gonna have to play one yourself to know if its for you, if you cant find one to play listen to a bunch of videos and decide. Buy one from a retailer that will take it back if you dont like it.

Last edited:

jeffb

Reaction score
hell just go get a Friedman JJjr and burn all these offerings to the ground.
The thing that kills the Friedman "minis" for me are those little bottles that sound like crushed glass when driven hard. I'd likely have the DS mini (or PT) instead of an Origin if he had done something with 6v6s (or low voltage hit on EL34s)

RCM 800

Reaction score
The thing that kills the Friedman "minis" for me are those little bottles that sound like crushed glass when driven hard. I'd likely have the DS mini (or PT) instead of an Origin if he had done something with 6v6s (or low voltage hit on EL34s)
yea the el84 thing is cool but not really what I was after. They do cut well in a band though. Watched tons of vids, which to tell the truth 99% didnt do the amp justice and so went down to GC and played the or20h and it went home with me. It gets really close to my 2204 in a small cheap package that is easier to get tone from at lower volume. Everyone always says you can make a 2204 sound good at low volume but mine doesnt really take off until about 2/10 and by then its way too loud for home use. I think the OR20 does a pretty good JTM45 esque tone and with boosts and/or OD it can go anywhere. I havent played the 50 myself but Im sure Id like it, and if I already didnt have a 50watter I like, im sure it would be high on my list of amps to look at.

jeffb

Reaction score
@RCM 800

Absolutely EL84s certainly work for many players. They just don't sit well with my ears. Just like certain pickups or pedals, or speakers or whatever. I've had a few EL84 amps that I can live with- I have a MArshall Class 5 still, and I love the Orange OR15 and especially the AD30- I think Orange does EL84 better than anyone, and by a large margin. But I've been down the VOX road, as well as some other more modern amps (H&K, etc) with EL84s and...not my thing,

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
I did a clip with an sv20h .
And the next morning I did a clip with the Origin 50H on mid power. (to be close to the 20watt SV) I kept all the settings the same on both amps.. with an SD1 clean boost..
And I think if I would have messed with the settings on the Origin.. I could have gotten closer ..
I will bring the Origins clip first ,, for the OP

RCM 800

Reaction score
That's got the Marshall/SD1 "Aunch" tone.

ORI50 sounding great there, Sir Mitch.

edit- And the SV20! I must have missed it where you picked one up....but I miss a whole lot of things....
pretty sure someone loaned him the SV for the comparison.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
That's got the Marshall/SD1 "Aunch" tone.

ORI50 sounding great there, Sir Mitch.

edit- And the SV20! I must have missed it where you picked one up....but I miss a whole lot of things....
I was able to borrow the SV20 and SC20 H’s from my buddy John .. but I did have to give them back..
Thank you for the compliment brother I appreciate it.

Cheers
Mitch

jeffb

Reaction score
I was able to borrow the SV20 and SC20 H’s from my buddy John .. but I did have to give them back..
Thank you for the compliment brother I appreciate it.

Cheers
Mitch

So do you miss them? The SV/SC? Or do you feel the Origin is enough to float your boat?

And you are most welcome.

CroTone

Reaction score
Hello,

Is it worth getting the Origin 50 head? Are these good amps?
Yes, it is worth getting the Origin 50 head. Yes, they are great amps (in my book they provide far above their price range).
It is a unique and another "color" of the Marshall sound spectrum and in that sense, it is worth adding to the stable. I have Origin 50 head along with more expensive Marshall stuff - I do not find it inferior in any aspect and in the appropriate context Origin can give something that others can't....you would be surprised.
Just my .02 $ to this topic! Cheers!

jeffb

Reaction score
Yea I miss them.. but times are not good for anymore amp purchases now,, so I am content with what I have to work with.

Cheers
Indeed.

I've not plugged into my tube amps in 1.5 years to the day. As much as I've struggled with the ORi20H, I cannot wait to fire it up again, and It will be what I have to work with for awhile as well, and I'm all good with that.

Geno5150

Reaction score
The current DSLl's sound bad to me, like a can of bees, and the clean channel doesnt sound good to me.
I like the crunch channel with an overdrive. The OD channles are a bit thin and compressed.