is that one a good guitar?

• Thread starter carlocki
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

V-man

Reaction score
V-man you always inspire me.
and among this KV2 and a les paul gibson costum?

If you are asking me if I have a Les Paul Custom, no. I have not added one. All I play are Vs, Randy Rhoads guitars, and Explorers. Maybe one day I'll have that LP Custom, but I'm in no hurry to find one with all I have now.If you are asking me about my White Rhoads LTD, that was a limited run of Jackson Randy Rhoads guitars made after Randy's first Jackson. There you can notice his love of the flying V and the Les paul, as the knob layout, the pickup switch and even the inlays all matched his LP. This white guitar, dubbed "original sin" was the prototype of his Randy Rhoads guitar line with Jackson. Ultimately he rejected the design (notice he difficulty with the pickup switch and the body hindering upper fret access) and the revised version is my Rhoads Guitar on the right. That guitar I have is a limited series as well of Randy's first approved Jackson guitar and the template for all RR guitars thereafter. Randy had the white pinstripe Rhoads guitar, and the black stringthrough Rhoads guitar. Sadly, he never got to see the 1983 production due to his tragic death.

dmnall

Reaction score
That is NOT a good guitar...

That is a FUCKING AWESOME guitar. I have 3 USA Jacksons, and I have about 3 times as many Gibsons. A good Gibson is an amazing axe, but sometimes you don't know what you'll get from them. USA Jacksons are just fucking awesome instruments. If I HAD to live with ONE guitar, it would be a Jackson without question.

Here are mine:

d8ca27cc.jpg
100_0380.jpg
41c5d7dc.jpg

Will it sound like Iommi? Well, it comes down to what your mission is. A Jackson is not a Gibson SG. The Jackson has a 25.5" Fender scale and the Gibson has the 24.75" scale. The Jackson is neckthrough with a different tonewood selection than the slab of mohogany Gibson uses. Jackson uses Seymour Duncan pickups and Gibson uses all kinds of pickups (Tony used P90s).

So, if Tony played HIS guitar through HIS gear then demoed that Jackson and another SG, you will probably hear a difference. Will the difference be significant? perhaps. Then again, the same may be true of HIS SG and the other SG. The biggest issue will be pickups and you can order Gibson Iommi Signature Pickups (or some other humbucker-sized P90) later if it means that much to you.

The two big issues are 1. what guitar will feel/play best to you (for me there is no contest), and 2. how close of a Tribute band do you want to be? If you are playing Sabbath songs like Sabbath, then whatever works is fine. If you are trying to BE Sabbath (like KISS tribute bands do) then the KV will look out of place.

Awesome Jacksons you have there but I can tell you, I played a 97 USA Rhoads guitar and I will say the pre-fender Jacksons are superior to the Fender made Jacksons! And My 92 MIJ Rhoads Pro played better than the 97 I played! And even plays better than my lp studio and I love my lp studio!

My Rhodes Pro *I still have to stock electronics but I had dual emg 81s loaded into it*

IMG_20120626_234055.jpg

Cheers,
Charlie

Wiseblood

Reaction score
I owned a KV2T they are killer and sound huge! I swapped the stock Duncans for EMG's (81/85) fuck that guitar was killer.

Note they come in both 24.75" and 25.5" scales. There are only a handful of older KV2T's that came in 25.5" all the current ones being made are 24.75" (which is the same as an SG if that matters to you). All this will effect is the string tension and the feel when it comes to your picking hand.

I absolutely love the old pointy headstock with shark fin inlays (like the KV2) but then again I hate Floyd's more so the KV2T works for me. But that is strictly looks.

I sold my KV2T only because I couldn't gel with the 24.75" scale. I used to get compliments on the way it sounded all the time.

V-man

Reaction score
Awesome Jacksons you have there but I can tell you, I played a 97 USA Rhoads guitar and I will say the pre-fender Jacksons are superior to the Fender made Jacksons! And My 92 MIJ Rhoads Pro played better than the 97 I played! And even plays better than my lp studio and I love my lp studio!

My Rhodes Pro *I still have to stock electronics but I had dual emg 81s loaded into it*

Cheers,
Charlie

Thanks. Both of my RR guitars are Pre-fender (1992 manufacture). The KV2 is Fender production. Your Pro looks dead-on like my 1st: 1990 Black RR Pro (I put the EMG 81/85 set up in it.

carlocki

Reaction score
I owned a KV2T they are killer and sound huge! I swapped the stock Duncans for EMG's (81/85) fuck that guitar was killer.

Note they come in both 24.75" and 25.5" scales. There are only a handful of older KV2T's that came in 25.5" all the current ones being made are 24.75" (which is the same as an SG if that matters to you). All this will effect is the string tension and the feel when it comes to your picking hand.

I absolutely love the old pointy headstock with shark fin inlays (like the KV2) but then again I hate Floyd's more so the KV2T works for me. But that is strictly looks.

I sold my KV2T only because I couldn't gel with the 24.75" scale. I used to get compliments on the way it sounded all the time.

what's the problem with short scale?

V-man

Reaction score
what's the problem with short scale?

"problem" is subjective. All gibsons have it and we all know how many good players use them. 24.75" makes all/the majority of the frets a little smaller. What happens to some players is that the fingers crowd in some places. Others cite intonation issues for certain tunings.

Purgasound

Rocker, Roller
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have USA Jacksons and Gibsons. The neck on a US made Jackson is damn near unbeatable. Definitely smokes the Gibson in terms of quality. I like both but they are quite different tools.

Latest posts