• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Is The Marshall Jcm 800 2203 A Good Amp For Ultra Distorted Death, Thrash And Black Metal Tones?

• Thread starter Benjamin isaacs
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

twothemax

Reaction score
evh 5150 iii. will do that all day and then some.
i got one for sale 2014 evh 100 watt head . like new.if your interested. pm me.

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
2203 no good. Get a JVM205 or 210 and a 1960BV (straight V30) cab.
Channel 4 of a JVM410 is the same as channel 2 of a JVM205 (50 Watts) or 210 (100 Watts) which is the more scooped sound. Which is probably want you want and will save you some money.

Last edited:

rick16v

Reaction score
B Standard for my Brutal Death Metal,
C Standard for my Modern Death Metal,
D Standard for my old school Death Metal,
Half a Step down and E Standard for my Thrash and Black Metal,
all I play is Metal
I currently have a Roland Cube 80GX..... my guitars range from £1000-£3000.

I’m unemployed.... I only get £500 a month on benefits.

Sorry for my cynicism, this seems like a troll thread? :confused:

Nmoc strat

Reaction score
To play Ultra Brutal Bloody Gore Screaming Aargghhh Gring Core B Standard Death Metal !?

Yeah ... JCM 800 does it ... then again, even a Fender Twin Reverb does it too, just plug into a Boss Metal Zone or something like it.

Nmoc strat

Reaction score
Having this mind, a while ago, I’ve seen a Manilla Road gig (for those who dont know them, Manilla Road is a US underground Epic Heavy Metal band, nothing to do with Death or Thrash Metal) here in a local small venue in Lisbon, where they have a Marshall Plexi full stack.

Well, bands like Manilla Road, dont travel with that much equipment, only the guitars and not much more, usually, the venues where they play, provide the rig, amps and drums, etc. So, Mark Shelton, the guitar player, took his own few pedals he uses to get his main sound, a Chorus, a Delay, and the Boss Metal Zone, he play the guitar into this pedals through the Marshall Plexi ... :D

Dont know how he did that, but he got a great sound, though. I love Manilla Road BTW. :jam:

houseofrock

Reaction score
Love my Marshalls, but when I need an amp for brutalz I pull out the ENgl blackmore. Engls should be more reasonable in the UK.
JCM800 awesome amp. Can you try it first?

ADZG

Reaction score
No Marshall will give you ultra distorted tones. You will need a pedal for that. JCM800 might cover light thrash tones, crossover, hard rock etc but will never be thick distortion.
Either use a pedal or try a EVH head they get pretty agro!

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Having this mind, a while ago, I’ve seen a Manilla Road gig (for those who dont know them, Manilla Road is a US underground Epic Heavy Metal band, nothing to do with Death or Thrash Metal) here in a local small venue in Lisbon, where they have a Marshall Plexi full stack.

Well, bands like Manilla Road, dont travel with that much equipment, only the guitars and not much more, usually, the venues where they play, provide the rig, amps and drums, etc. So, Mark Shelton, the guitar player, took his own few pedals he uses to get his main sound, a Chorus, a Delay, and the Boss Metal Zone, he play the guitar into this pedals through the Marshall Plexi ... :D

Dont know how he did that, but he got a great sound, though. I love Manilla Road BTW. :jam:
Yep, there are tons of pro players that get their core overdrive tone from pedals, and use a head as basically a clean preamp/power amp. Then, there are players that don't use many pedals and get their core overdrive sound from the amp (ACDC is a good example).

Last edited:

Shae201

Reaction score
Obituary used jcm800s in the early days and so did Schuldiner from Death....nuff said!

Deep Purple fan

Reaction score
Obituary used jcm800s in the early days and so did Schuldiner from Death....nuff said!

Key words.....’early days’

You can get there with an 800 and some pedals but TODAY thankfully there are other options more suited for this style of music.

rrguitar1

Reaction score

Yes but they pushed the front end of them. I'm 47, loved the whole death metal scene. Was all over it, etc...

Which brings next point..
Imo, the 800 platform is better.
The tone dynamics, growl, bottom..all there and will take a decent OD well.
Again, imo, will sound better than a jvm would.

I like jvms, I owned the 210h. But if the comparison is between the jvm and the 800, I'd go 800. Yes, the volume is easily attained with the jvm at lower settings, but opened up >> 800 for the win.

Nmoc strat

Reaction score
Yes but they pushed the front end of them. I'm 47, loved the whole death metal scene. Was all over it, etc...

I like jvms, I owned the 210h. But if the comparison is between the jvm and the 800, I'd go 800. Yes, the volume is easily attained with the jvm at lower settings, but opened up >> 800 for the win.

Yeah,

Even listening to todays Heavy / Speed / Thrash modern productions, they sound all the same, with those High Gain Amps, and the guitar sound ultra-processed. A good example of this, is Andy Sneaps productions, go listen to todays modern albums produced by Sneap, from different bands, like ... Kreator, Arch Enemy, Accept, even Saxon, the guitars sound the same.

If you listen to the 80s albums of those bands, each of them has a diverse guitar sound, much more dynamic and full, back when most of them used JCM 800s or similiar Amps, cranked and boosted with pedals.

chiliphil1

Reaction score

This guy gets it! That’s why the 800 is so popular in metal. The tone remains clear regardless and NOTHING punches like a 2203. Modern amps have a processed and saturated tone that the 800 just doesn’t have, even with pedals. To me that is a great tone, everything remains defined and articulate, the only thing IMO that does that like the 800 is the dual rectifier. However, I have to add, the recto can get downright nasty (in a bad way) if you don’t know how to eq. If you do it right the rec will have a ton of clarity and punch where something like a 5150 has far more saturation.

Really depends on whether you want clarity and punch or all out aggression.

Deep Purple fan

Reaction score
The OP says he can get a 2203X half stack new for 2000 UK pounds. I checked Andertons web site...and he can. That comes to $2500 USD for a 2203X and 1960 cab...brand new. That is pretty sweet from a US point of view. Similar bargains for all UK Marshall and Orange amps. Considering foreign tourists can claim taxes back at exit....up to 20%..... it gets even better. Of course UNCLE SAM will hit you on entry for anything over $800 (I think). Food for thought. I’ve been eyeing Astoria but the price and availability in USA is stupid.

rrguitar1

Reaction score
So why not just order the amp online from a UK dealer and save the $$$??

Or will the shipping and tax end up being so high that it equals out??

$2000 for a brand new 2203x half stack. ...Wow! The head alone here is what $2500??