Is there a solution to DSL40CR midi switching?

• Thread starter deke99
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

deke99

Reaction score
Hi all, I got a 11/2017 Marshall DSL40CR used for a good price. I for the most part love the tones in this amp. The clean is great and the drives are generally classic Marshall. All good.

My problem is with midi switching via a HX Effects. I’ve been in touch with Marshall support and to their credit they have sent me 2 different midi modules, the problem is none of them work! I’ve been in back and forth for a month now and can’t make it work. I’m not new to midi and this is not user error. My issue is that I can’t get the MV1 and MV2 to switch at the same time that I switch from classic to Ultra gain. With the latest board that I was sent it finally works on the ultra channel. On the classic channel, it always recalls the last MV state instead of the CC value I send it. Has anyone else experienced this?

I have 4 snapshots setup in the preset, 1 is classic green and MV 1, 2 is classic green and MV2, 3 is ultra green and MV 1 and 4 is ultra green and MV 2. Basically looking for clean plus solo boost and dirt plus solo boost. When I switch between snapshot 1 and 2, it works as expected, just moving from MV 1 to 2 and back. Same with snapshots 3 and 4. The problem is if I go from snapshot 2 to 3, then to snapshot 1, the MV stays aligned to snapshot 2 instead of 1. I used to have the same problem with the ultra channel but the latest board they sent fixed that.

I’ve had radio silence from support for a few days now and I’m assuming it’s time to sell the amp and move on. I just really like the tones and I wish I could fine a way to have channel switching and MV switching work! Any insight from the experts is appreciated, thanks! Sorry for the novel!
Derek

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
I am fairly new to MIDI, having mainly used it to sync modules like drum machines to digital recorders. I have the DSL40CR running with MIDI switching hooked up to a GT-100 in 4CM. I am fairly happy with the way the switching works horizontally across the footswitch buttons for the 4 channel modes, and am starting to make new patches for vertical switching within a single mode (e.g. Classic Crunch). The switching of the FX loop and MVs is still a mystery to me as I cannot get my head around the instructions in the Marshall or BOSS manuals. Not sure if anyone has managed to achieve this either in this forum.
But with the options available on the GT-100 I think I can live without them for my purposes. Loop send from the GT can be switched off and solo boost can be set for each patch with more than the single difference between the DSL MVs, for infinite variation.
Also I was not aware that the MIDI module could be replaced!

Good luck, and please post solutions.

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
@deke99 :
I'd say you gave it your best shot and it's probably now time to sell it.

I have a standard and stock JVM410H which can do exactly as you are describing and programming is easy. I don't know why it has to be so difficult on these new DSL amps given that Marshall got MIDI right on the JVM4 amps and JVM2 amps, which were released before these latest DSL amps. I know some people got MIDI working alright on these DSL amps, and I know you have experience with MIDI.

Other Marshall amps that have MIDI capability besides the JVM4 and JVM2 are: 6100 series (available in both LE models and LM models though both are also discontinued), JMD:1 series (discontinued), Joe Satriani Signature JVM410HJS (discontinued), JMP1 preamp (discontinued). Though some of these amps are discontinued, you might still be able to find some great pieces on the used market (I don't know how important it is to have a MIDI rig, but at least you have other options besides DSL.

Additionally, you can look into Mesa-Boogie for MIDI connectivity. Mesa-Boogie Triple Crown 50 as well as Triple Crown 100 have MIDI connectivity. The Mesa-Boogie John Petrucci JP-2C amp also has MIDI connectivity. You can also look at some Hughes & Kettner products for MIDI connectivity.

Good luck with your situation. Let us know what you decide to do. Best of luck.

Last edited:

Sir Don

Reaction score
I gave up on midi switching for my requirements after I got the compatible six button foot switch. There really is no use comparing the 40cr with the JVM series. People must understand the the JVM series is really the top of the range Marshall, the DSL is a budget amp which is great value for money but will not have the versatility or range of sounds of a JVM.

I tried for ages to get my GT8 working with the 40cr via the 4cm with midi and, while I had reasonable results, I found that the standard footswitch worked better for me.

This might not answer your question but I'm pretty much over trying to get it to do what a JVM will do.

All the best with your situation.

Paul H.

Reaction score
Just thought I’d chime in on this one.

I was in an identical situation as the o/p.
DSL40CR with Line 6 HX FX.
I couldn’t, whatever I tried, get the HX to switch the DSL exactly as I needed.
E.g; 4cm, switching all four modes, MV, and loop.
Close but not quite there.

I then took the HX FX to a local a store and ran it through a Hughes & Kettner multi-channel amp of some description.
No problems; channels, MV, and loop all happily switching away. Shame about the amp though, a bit too..... Too clinical.

My conclusion is it’s the amp that’s at issue not the HX FX.
As @Sir Don said: DSL is budget, we can’t really expect all singing all dancing at an affordable price.
It’s a great amp with a great sound. Guess we just have to accept the limitations.

Last word. I sold the Line 6 and am gradually re-building a pedal board.
It’s a beauty!
I’m thinking of trying something like a GigRig for switching.

But that’s a whole other can o’worms.

Cheers, Paul H.

Jon C

Reaction score
Agreed …… The DSL100HR (Same module) Midi Responds to PCs just fine …… Gets Wonky with CCs …… For what it’s worth …… YMMV

deke99

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for chiming in, I really appreciate everyone’s input! I guess I’m not sure if I feel relieved it’s not just me or if I feel super bummed that an amp that sounds this good just can’t work for me. Sounds like it’s sadly onto something else. Again, thanks to everyone who chimed in. If Marshall happens to respond with a solution I’ll be sure to post it.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Also, can't you get enough variation options with the Helix HX (multiple effect switching, solo boost, EQ volume shifting, etc.). I have a GT-100 and the 6-button footswitch. I now only use my GT because the options make it so much more flexible.

deke99

Reaction score
I'll try the HX Effects volume boost again as an alternative to the MV switching on the amp. I did try that at one point and I felt like I couldn't get enough of a volume jump to make it stand out (I had the boost in the loop where I figured I'd get more of an overall volume jump vs. just more gain). I could probably make that work, I just get leery when the amp just doesn't work right. Wondering if the best long term solution is to save up for the JVM205. Thanks again for eveyone's input!

deke99

Reaction score
@Paul H. I used to do all individual pedals and I still have them all. The HX just can’t do what my Boss CE-2 does. I’ve learned to live with that. For switching I used a musicomlab looper that had midi and relay switching. It works really well. I have a phone app that switches the preset for each song and then had 4 “scenes” per preset plus a 5th global scene. Good unit that you may want to check out. Programming is a PITA but once it’s set it works well.

Paul H.

Reaction score
@deke99
I took a quick look at the Musicomlab.
I think most loopers are gonna be fairly effective in their own right - midi, relay, trs switching - the issue here, for me at least, is the DSL end of things.
The midi implementation seems so shonky that I’m not certain if there’s any single solution.
Pedalboard via 4CM and the Marshall footswitch?
Still gonna be tap dancing!

Phone app?
Nah, I wanna keep it simple.

I mean simple like I wanna hit one button and change amp channel, MV, FX loop, and at least six pedals.
That’s not a lot to ask, is it?
Is it? :rolleyes:

Heh!
It’s fun, but potentially expensive, figuring these things out.

Cheers, Paul H.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
MIDI and the footswitch is not an option either. Anything plugged into the footswitch jack disables MIDI on the DSL.

TheCrunge

Reaction score
I have the DSL100hr (Basically same amp), and I also use the Line 6 HX Effects using the 4 cable method, and use the MIDI capability of the HX Effects to control the amp head. I am able to control everything (master volume 1 & 2, both channels and both modes) with presets and snapshots. One thing I do a lot of is when I switch to a clean "snapshot", I add the MV2 MIDI command.
What "Instant Commands" are you using for your snapshots?

Paul H.

Reaction score
@TheCrunge
It was at the start of the year I tried the Line 6. After a few unsuccessful weeks I decided a coupla things.
First, I was spending way too much time fiddlin’ and messin’, tweakin’ and twirlin’, button bashing and parameter playing.
Second I wasn’t playing enough!

That’s when I sold the HX and returned to individual pedals.

I’m impressed, and pleased, that you worked the HX out.
If you could get back to the OP (@deke99) with how you figured this out I’m sure he, and quite a few others, will appreciate it.

Meanwhile I just took delivery of an awesome Wampler Tremolo!

Cheers all, Paul H.

TheCrunge

Reaction score
So here's an example of one of my presets in HX Edit.
It is my Metallica preset. I use 2 snapshots. One "Clean" ,and the other "Distortion".
When I select the "Clean" snapshot it changes the DSL100hr to the Classic Gain chan/ Clean mode, and at the same time it switches the amp to Master Volume 2 (which I have a bit louder than Master 1).

Here are the MIDI commands I set in Command center for Clean. The 1st Instant Command changes channels, and must be a Bank/Program command. The second Instant Command is what switched the Master Volume, and must be a MIDI CC command with CC# 14
clean1.JPG
clean2.JPG

When I switch to the "Distortion" snapshot, the amp switches to the Classic Gain chan/ Crunch mode,(I stack another gain block with it, but you could switch to Ultra gain/Red or whatever).

And here are the MIDI commands for Distortion
dist1.JPG
dist2.JPG

Here are the commands I use

Classic Gain
Green=0
Red=9

Ultra Gain
Green=6
Red=3

Master Volume is MIDI CC w/CC# 14
0=Master Volume 1
2=Master Volume 2

I hope this helps

Paul H.

Reaction score
Yeah, that’s it.
Pretty much as I worked it out.
Except that my amp wouldn’t behave as I expected. I can’t remember exactly what the shortcomings were: possibly MV not switching properly.
Looking back to the OP it could be that I’ve got a ‘faulty’ MIDI module. It really didn’t occur to me to contact Marshall.

Hey Ho. Having fun with the amp regardless.

Cheers, Paul H.

deke99

Reaction score
Thanks for the details @TheCrunge , that is exactly what I'm doing. I'm using instant commands within the snapshots. CC #14 value 1 and value 0 for the MV switching. I've tried 3 different 'midi brain modules' in the amp and none of them are working properly. The latest one works for the ultra channel, but not on the Classic channel. To Marshall's credit, they have been responsive and said at this point I could ship the amp to them and they would pay to repair it and pick up the return shipping. That is pretty solid customer service.

At this point it's been about a month and a half of back and forth and I'm not sure how long the repair will take. I'm going to move the amp along and just bite the financial bullet and get a JVM205H. I need to stop futzing and get back to gigging!

TheCrunge

Reaction score
Thanks for the details @TheCrunge , that is exactly what I'm doing. I'm using instant commands within the snapshots. CC #14 value 1 and value 0 for the MV switching. I've tried 3 different 'midi brain modules' in the amp and none of them are working properly. The latest one works for the ultra channel, but not on the Classic channel. To Marshall's credit, they have been responsive and said at this point I could ship the amp to them and they would pay to repair it and pick up the return shipping. That is pretty solid customer service.

At this point it's been about a month and a half of back and forth and I'm not sure how long the repair will take. I'm going to move the amp along and just bite the financial bullet and get a JVM205H. I need to stop futzing and get back to gigging!
Sorry to hear that. This is a great amp. And the HX is a great companion to it too. Hope you can get something going.