Is This A Real El34 Amp Release From Marshall At Namm?

• Thread starter pleximaster
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
I feel blessed to have grown up in the 70's and played clubs in the 80's. I just can't relate or appreciate what passes for good guitar tone and playing these days. Drop tuning and tons of distortion creates rumble and muddy crap.Thank god there are guy's keeping the guitar alive,going back to the roots of rock music with a modern voice. Check out eric sardinas , and thank me later.Kick ass electric dobro player through marshall half stacks of all types. Plays LOUD. Met him, hung with him ,went to his show , awesome guy.

I recall the 80s, and we all played loud. It was expected. But during the 90s that changed. It is no longer tolerated at most live music venues. This created a problem for Marshall and Marshall players because the Marshall sound is a big part running the power amp in its "sweet spot". Not necessarily cranked to the max but still enough to get the power amp involved just a bit. Not necessarily enough to muddy the sound much, but the sweet spot is partly about feel and picking dynamics too.

2203s once they get to their sweet spots are just as loud as plexis in their sweet spots. A 20 watt big bottle power amp is a good idea in my opinion.

El Gringo

Reaction score
I guess I'll never understand this trendy fixation on mid-wattage amps. It makes no sense to me. 20 watts is still a loud amp. You can't "crank' a 20w amp and piss off your significant other and/or neighbors any less than you would with a bigger amp. What are you actually gaining from a 20 watt amp? None of the headroom of a bigger amp and still be too loud? Yay! Lol. I guess the smaller package is appealing if you're old and frail? Sure. A 20w head is easy to carry around. Congratulations. I think that maybe the 20 watt range is the worst wattage range for an amp in the Marshall-sound family. IMO they're still too loud for apartment shredding and get mushy and shitty when turned up enough to compete for space in a full band.
I agree 100% , to me it's not the spirit of late Jim Marshall's name to use it on a tiny 20 watt amp .I know this will probably cause me to be scorned , but to me it's all about a nice 100 watt head (or a 50 , just not for me , because I like the flexibility of the head room to shape and craft my tone as I see fit ) Going into a nice 4X12 cab (loaded preferably with some nice Vintage 30's) I kick myself for waiting all these years before finally getting my 2555X and 2551AV on 7/9/15 and I have been in tone heaven ever since .I have often told the story of buying and using every darn distortion/overdrive pedal in the world always chasing that sound in my head of Les Paul thru a Marshall and do you know what that no pedal or Fender Amp can get that famous sound . Jim Marshall for life for me :headbanger:

Bloodrock

Reaction score
If it is the 20w DSL with only one mode per channel, I sure hope they get the voicing right unlike the 15w. And it better have a loop!

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I guess I'll never understand this trendy fixation on mid-wattage amps. It makes no sense to me. 20 watts is still a loud amp. You can't "crank' a 20w amp and piss off your significant other and/or neighbors any less than you would with a bigger amp. What are you actually gaining from a 20 watt amp? None of the headroom of a bigger amp and still be too loud? Yay! Lol. I guess the smaller package is appealing if you're old and frail? Sure. A 20w head is easy to carry around. Congratulations. I think that maybe the 20 watt range is the worst wattage range for an amp in the Marshall-sound family. IMO they're still too loud for apartment shredding and get mushy and shitty when turned up enough to compete for space in a full band.

I agree 100% , to me it's not the spirit of late Jim Marshall's name to use it on a tiny 20 watt amp .I know this will probably cause me to be scorned , but to me it's all about a nice 100 watt head (or a 50 , just not for me , because I like the flexibility of the head room to shape and craft my tone as I see fit ) Going into a nice 4X12 cab (loaded preferably with some nice Vintage 30's) I kick myself for waiting all these years before finally getting my 2555X and 2551AV on 7/9/15 and I have been in tone heaven ever since .I have often told the story of buying and using every darn distortion/overdrive pedal in the world always chasing that sound in my head of Les Paul thru a Marshall and do you know what that no pedal or Fender Amp can get that famous sound . Jim Marshall for life for me

So whats the consensus of the mini jube head? Do all the owners love it? Did they get the jube tone in a mini package? I haven't heard anybody that owns one say they didn't like it. Were they sold at a price point that made a profit for Marshall and affordable to the buyer? I haven't heard any negatives on that so I'll answer yes on those questions. I'd say the sample test mini jube was successful and I think we can say some other mini 20 watters are due, the box has been checked on all the above. Definitely in the spirit of the late Jim Marshall lets hope Marshall releases some more minis for the better! I just hope they put a really good fx loop in the mini 2203x and I'll be sold, and maybe even a 1 watt/5 watt feature. And now I'm asking too much, a JMP head shell LOL. :yesway:

I've got my big boy amps but it would be nice to have some small ones of the same.

slide222

Reaction score
keep them simple and a good price , pure 20 watt JTM, or JMP - kt66 for JTM20H , and el34 for JMP20H
but which one ? these decisions are expensive , but they are the best ones

edit ; I neally forgot a 20watt vintage modern and that just has to be kt66

el_bastardo

Reaction score
So whats the consensus of the mini jube head? Do all the owners love it? Did they get the jube tone in a mini package? I haven't heard anybody that owns one say they didn't like it. Were they sold at a price point that made a profit for Marshall and affordable to the buyer? I haven't heard any negatives on that so I'll answer yes on those questions. I'd say the sample test mini jube was successful and I think we can say some other mini 20 watters are due, the box has been checked on all the above. Definitely in the spirit of the late Jim Marshall lets hope Marshall releases some more minis for the better! I just hope they put a really good fx loop in the mini 2203x and I'll be sold, and maybe even a 1 watt/5 watt feature. And now I'm asking too much, a JMP head shell LOL. :yesway:

I've got my big boy amps but it would be nice to have some small ones of the same.
Well, just from my perspective, the mini-Jube does not compare to the big Jubilee. I've A/B'd them to the best of my ability and the big Jubilee smokes the mini Jubilee. But that's to be expected, right? And that's not to say the mini-Jube is bad or anything, it isn't, but it's definitely not the big amp in just a smaller package.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I'm with you! 20 watts is formidable still. And many players just starting out don't realize that. I see a few jumping in and then finding out how loud 20 Marshall tube watts really is. Going to happen no matter what we say...I think.

The real only reference I have is Niks 20 watt plexi that sounds good to me. Tone/dynamics seem to be there.

I'm with you though. Loud is loud. And 20 watts of Marshall will be loud. Also cranking it too much makes it muddy. No matter the head room. Over done mudds up the power section.
the difference is that, to knock the volume down, say, in a studio, or live, (for soundman), you can plug into a 1x12 cab & have a single greenback & crank it & get the sound of a pushed amp, & speaker, through a mic, but not blaring through a 100 watt 4x12. In a controlled environment, that works wonders.

You still won't get the sound of the 100 watt w/ 4x12, but, it's a great compromise. Chances are, you can get a better dialed in sound overall (easier) than the guy w/ the bigger amp. Nothing can replace the actual amp/cab in the room, but, when it comes to giving the crowd the best sound, you are enhancing their listening event.

MQO

Reaction score
20 watt minis are cool but lets see a new "flagship." Even if it is 20, 50, 100, whatever. Give us a flagship. Innovation. Please. F*ck the sun glasses and the fridges to death. Also, a new DSL is still just a DSL even if it has another master volume. It doesn't deserve a teaser a month in advance. Thats like saying "check out this giant fart" and then shitting your pants. It's just a let down.

Mayhem13

Reaction score
20w and x2 EL34s probably has them in cathode bias. They can sound pretty good like that.
I would be interested to what novel features they incorporate.

Yes, cathode bias is the spec for the DSL20HR

Mayhem13

Reaction score
And that can't be done with a 50 watt? Not only is great dynamics plausible with more watts, it's been done for decades. Those great dynamics are often a product of headroom. Maybe it's just me, but I have yet to hear any low watt amp sound good and dynamic when cranked. And they are not that quiet. I think maybe people forget, or worse, they never knew the reason the "Marshall sound" is the Marshall sound - volume. People are still chasing their tails trying to cheat a way to get that sound. I'm just not understanding why so many people believe that ~20 watts is the answer, and if it is, why hasn't anyone figured it out yet? 20 watts is still very loud at home. 20 watts is maybe not quite loud enough for some in a full rock band. Cranking a 20 watt amp kills dynamics. So where is the benefit? Size? Okay, a small package would be great for the weak, disabled, and/or lazy. No problem there. But I'm really wary of the bedroom player dictating what becomes the norm. That's not good for anyone.

Your point can't be applied as stated because there's the question of the cabinet variations.....112,212,412.....all have significant output differences and their respected loading of the power section.

Big 100w Marshall's were for the days when PA systems were crap........and yes, it's been taking a while for mfgrs to understand what the customer needs vs wants. Thank GOD for the internet so novices and home players can get the information they need in order that graduate to the stage......like NOT to bring a machine gun to a boxing match!............and I'd MUCH rather have 2 20 watt heads and 2 vertical 212 cabs than a single 50-100w and a 412. More versatile and transportable and with redundancy for when problems arise.......or in other words, smart 21st century thinking.

el_bastardo

Reaction score
Your point can't be applied as stated
Sure it can because thankfully thousands and thousands of guitar players out there still manage to play gigs with a good ol traditional halfstack. It's only a problem for people that want to make it a problem.

kustombob

Reaction score
I agree el batardo ' 100w heads will always have a place. But these snowflakes out their are scared of them and they use to much energy and are scary. You have to be a Man to handle big power not a buttercup.

Buzzard

Reaction score
Gentleman I present to you the new, marshall" snowflake amp".

el_bastardo

Reaction score
I agree el batardo ' 100w heads will always have a place. But these snowflakes out their are scared of them and they use to much energy and are scary. You have to be a Man to handle big power not a buttercup.
I appreciate the support, but that post does nothing to bolster our case for big amps. Calling people "snowflakes" and "buttercups" is fodder for a certain type of sociopolitical demographic that I want nothing to do with.