Is This Acceptable?

• Thread starter Ghost
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ghost

Reaction score
Is this an acceptable CL ad?

Title: Guitarist seeking band members (hard rock)

Body:

• Looking for drummer and bassist
• Ages 21-30
• Original hard rock band
• Only requirement is dependability and no drug/alcohol issues
• Reply by email or call/text *number* (serious inquiries only)

Just wondering if this is a good way to write an ad on CL looking for band members. Anything I should add or take away? I like to be short and to the point rather than writing a book. I just feel that it turns people away when you've got tons written there. Notice I didn't put any influences or genre. I just think this limits your replies too. What's y'all's take(s) on this?

Also, where else could I potentially find guys to join my band besides CL?

Thanks!

maxxi

Reaction score
Just wondering if this is a good way to write an ad on CL looking for band members. Anything I should add or take away? I like to be short and to the point rather than writing a book. I just feel that it turns people away when you've got tons written there. Notice I didn't put any influences or genre. I just think this limits your replies too. What's y'all's take(s) on this?

i would opt to be contacted my email only, i wouldn't feel comfortable posting my phone number online

ampmadscientist

Reaction score

Body:

• Ages 21-30

Thanks!
Quite simply, discrimination based on age is illegal.
And so if I were you...I would try a different tact.

ricksconnected

Reaction score
I agree with Frodebro. add some bands on your list that you listen to or influenced by
that best suits your playing style and interests. that would be one of the questions
that I would ask you.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score

Body:

• Ages 21-30

Thanks!

As mentioned, contact by email only, list band names for musical reference of hard rock, singers or no. Other than that your ad is fine. Look at bandmix.com for musicians in your area or for ad ideas.

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
Dude... He's looking for like-minded people in his own age bracket to get together and make music with. There is no mention of gigging, money, health benefits, or a fucking pension.

Yeah, you should avoid people w/more experience than yourself...you might accidentally learn something new.

As for me:
I play with musicians much older / more experienced than me...and it's a treasure-trove.
You will need to avoid that too.

Barfly

Expert bottle opener.
Reaction score
I'd mention a couple of famous bands in the direction I'd like the band to go in. One band I put together had all guys that loved hard rock-metal.. thing is, each of us liked a different vein of it.. believe it or not, eventually it came to a serious and Spinal Tap head. Put in exactly what you want... it's not like you're likely going to get it but.. lol, it's worth a try.

el_bastardo

Reaction score
Quite simply, discrimination based on age is illegal.
And so if I were you...I would try a different tact.
Hey, you really need to get your shit together before you make moronic statements like that. Besides being a goofball just for going there, you're actually wrong. He's just a guy looking for a band. He can actually, legally, discriminate in any fucking way he wants. He can literally put in his ad "No blacks, no gays, no jews, no chicks, no old fuckers, no retards" and be totally fine because he's not a company, he's not a business, he's not an employer, and even if he were any of those things it doesn't matter because his band would most likely consist of fewer people than 20 - the minimum threshold for age discrimination protection.

Read this and then go sit in a corner:
https://www.eeoc.gov/employers/coverage_private.cfm

Actually, so you don't miss it:
Age Discrimination and Coverage
If a complaint involves age discrimination, the business is covered by the laws we enforce if it has 20 or more employees who worked for the company for at least twenty calendar weeks (in this year or last).

So unless his band is a registered business with over 20 employees for at least 20 weeks, he's safe in looking for a specific age range of bandmates. And no one actually fucking cares anyway.

ricksconnected

Reaction score
by the age request in his ad its easy to tell hes yet very young and just getting started in his musical direction.
I too at his age would want a band of my own age group because that's who I would relate to. common ground
ya know.
his musical path and journey will put him in the way of older and more experienced musicians from all walks.
lets not put the cart before the horse here. yes I do agree he needs to keep his mind open and ears listening
to a lot of different things, but right now, the guy just wants to be part of something, be about something going
places. maybe he just wants to keep his mind busy too though.

either way your ad is fine, just a touch up here and there. aside from that, bro, go get your rock on. :shred2: life is just getting started for you. enjoy it to the fullest.

el_bastardo

Reaction score
I know this for sure....a 20yr old usually doesn't want to play with 50-60 yr olds, and 50-60 yr olds don't want kids in their band.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Our singer is 32. I am...older than that. The bass player and drummer are way older than me. It's OK. But I have years of experience playing out, I can work with that. I wish the other 2 had more energy and played like the younger guys in my other band.
No biggie but I can see where OP wants to keep in a similar interest range. My other 2 guys if left to their own devices would play far different stuff from me a lot of times.

The singer is a hot mom of 2 not some party animal so it works. I agree that generally some 20 year old doesn't want to start a band with 50 year olds. Grampa is in bed by 10 while kids are just getting started!!