Is This Acceptable?

• Thread starter Ghost
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Frodebro

Reaction score
I know this for sure....a 20yr old usually doesn't want to play with 50-60 yr olds, and 50-60 yr olds don't want kids in their band.

When I was in my twenties I was in a band with three guys in their 40s. It was a full-time gigging band, though, so the social aspect was a non-issue. I’ll tell you what, though-I don’t want to be in any band situation with a grumpy old fart. Even if he’s younger than me. :mad:

Ghost

Reaction score
:lol:
He can literally put in his ad "No blacks, no gays, no jews, no chicks, no old fuckers, no retards"
Yeah, I guess Hollywood just has to cast whoever applies/auditions for a particular role even of they're the wrong age, gender, ethnicity, and nationality for the part, right? Suggesting otherwise would be "bigotry". Hell, let's even stop discriminating based on talent-level. That's "bigoted" too. Auditions are "bigoted". God, I honestly just crack up at these PC people. :lol:

el_bastardo

Reaction score
:lol:
Yeah, I guess Hollywood just has to cast whoever applies/auditions for a particular role even of they're the wrong age, gender, ethnicity, and nationality for the part, right? Suggesting otherwise would be "bigotry". Hell, let's even stop discriminating based on talent-level. That's "bigoted" too. Auditions are "bigoted". God, I honestly just crack up at these PC people. :lol:
I don't know about all that. I'm just saying you are absolutely 100% within your legal rights* to discriminate based on age however you want.

* This is assuming your are in the USA. If you are not, then check your local regulations, or simply don't give a fuck about it because no one actually cares anyway.

Ghostman

Reaction score
I'd say more importantly than putting in an age description, would be what you expect the other band mates social and music goals are.

Instead of 20-30yo's, you could post, "Musicians focused on music and gigging life" which is side speak for, "I don't want mom's and dad's that will miss practice because of Billy's Recorder recital"

Ghost

Reaction score
I'd say more importantly than putting in an age description, would be what you expect the other band mates social and music goals are.

Instead of 20-30yo's, you could post, "Musicians focused on music and gigging life" which is side speak for, "I don't want mom's and dad's that will miss practice because of Billy's Recorder recital"
I've tried and tried and tried. I cannot find anyone who wants to play. I live in one of the most musical cities in the world too. I'll put out ads, one or two people will respond to them, I will follow up with them, then I never hear from them again. It's cricket cricket cricket cricket. You can't get anyone to commit to even answering the fucking phone, let alone actually physically getting together with you and playing. I never understood how people managed to form bands. It just doesn't work for me. The same three weirdos reply to my ads over and over again. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Ghost

Reaction score
and do you reply to other's ads? That seems like it would be easier. :shrug:
I would if there were any. No one is starting rock bands anymore. It's all either country or hipster/indie acoustic stuff. Here's the types of ads you see:

Vocalist/multi-instrumentalist looking for drums/bass/keys for Americana project

Guitarist/songwriter wants to collaborate on new songs

Drummer available for gigging country band

Eagles tribute seeks Glenn frey

You never see a group of young guys wanting to form a hard rock band. It's unbelievable. The only option I've got if I want to play rock is to join a bunch of fat old bald 50-60 y/o guys' classic rock cover band where they play Steeley Dan and Santana.

Seriously, this same old guy named Steve keeps replying to my fucking ads. He's like 50-something. He's so particular about the type of equipment he wants you to have, and he's annoying as hell. I've told him at least five times now I'm looking for guys my age, not my age x 2. I guess he's so old he forgets and keeps replying. Just talking to him it's obvious he's a mouth-breather.

I guess CL and the internet is not as useful as they say. All this technology at the touch of a finger and instantaneous, easy communication, but people can't be bothered to use it. They also can't be bothered to respond to texts/calls/emails etc... God, I could go on a 7-hour rant about this!

Ghost

Reaction score
Not that you guys will respond to this thread anymore, but are there any well-known Facebook groups for musicians connecting or looking for members? CL is a waste of time and you have to pay a monthly fee to use bandmix.

Ghostman

Reaction score
Maybe if you drop the "Woe is me" attitude, you might get more replies.

After I read your posts, I have to go watch Old Yeller just to cheer up....

vJlsQwp.gif

flyinguitars

Reaction score
Around here CL usually yields hacks and weirdos. I’ve tried it over the years and never had luck.
I always put the word out with the local agents, friends, music stores, and friends in bands.