Is this MONO/Stereo?

• Thread starter Lukas
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lukas

Reaction score
So I own a JVM I play through a 1960B cab and DSL40CR, both have their own pedal boards and complete rigs. I recently decided to try putting my Boss Stereo flanger out front out of the loop to just use it to split the signal from my guitar out to the JVM and the DSL at the same time and holy hell on wheels does this sound amazing. It’s a lot of tap dancing as there is two separate pedal boards but with both amps on clean and both sets of chorus and delays on set similar it is friggin amazing. Matching the volume takes a bit as the DSL is only a 1x12 and the JVM playing through a 4x12 but it is still an outstanding ambient tone 🤩 wow. I couldn’t imagine having this through two 4x12’s it sounds killer just like this. Anyway, anyone else doing this kinda thing or is there an even better way to do it? Is this what’s called a mono/stereo rig?

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what’s the benefit to using an ABY to say a stereo flange pedal like I’m using? Just curious?
Nothing really, just a method of splitting a signal.
Any dual output pedal out front would work.
I also plug my Haze15 into one of the 4-hole inputs of my JTM45 to split the guitar signal.
And I've used a stereo pedal at the end of the loop on one amp to split and feed 2 amp's loop return jacks.
Lots of different ways to split a signal for stereo amps - options depend on the amps you have.

circles

Reaction score
I never paid attention to stereo until the other guitar didn't show up to a jam one evening, so I ran out of my board (DD7) into two Marshall stacks on either side of the room. Blown away. Now I run stereo when possible, but I'm totally fine mono.

maico996

Reaction score
If you really want to expand the capabilities of your rig, consider getting a digital switcher with MIDI control. I use a MusicomLab EFX MKIV. http://www.musicomlab.com/
Stepping on one button I can switch channels and have different effects in or out of the signal path. All the effects changes are controlled by MIDI and the channel switching is controlled by function switches that can be set to either momentary or latching. This one box completely changed my rig. Just recently I experimented with a stereo rig and the sound is huge. Best part is, the MKIV can control both amps without any changes to my pedal board. The only drawback is that I can only use the effects loop on one amp, which is just fine. The "dry" amp has built in reverb so it still sounds pretty awesome. I use an ABY to split the output to both amps. In venues with enough space I'll definitely be rocking this setup!

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
So I own a JVM I play through a 1960B cab and DSL40CR, both have their own pedal boards and complete rigs. I recently decided to try putting my Boss Stereo flanger out front out of the loop to just use it to split the signal from my guitar out to the JVM and the DSL at the same time and holy hell on wheels does this sound amazing. It’s a lot of tap dancing as there is two separate pedal boards but with both amps on clean and both sets of chorus and delays on set similar it is friggin amazing. Matching the volume takes a bit as the DSL is only a 1x12 and the JVM playing through a 4x12 but it is still an outstanding ambient tone 🤩 wow. I couldn’t imagine having this through two 4x12’s it sounds killer just like this. Anyway, anyone else doing this kinda thing or is there an even better way to do it? Is this what’s called a mono/stereo rig?
As previously mentioned, you can cut down on tap dancing by using an effects system that has all the effects you need plus built-in connectivity features.
Since both JVM and DSL40CR use MIDI technology, connect both via MIDI to switch various features on both amps, such as channel/mode switching, effects loop on/off, etc.

You can also use one effects system to run through both amp's effects loop if you like.

The key is finding an effects system built-in MIDI connectivity AND built-in multiple loops. For example, I run two amps via MIDI with my TC-Electronic G-System multi-effects system.

My MIDI routing is simple: I run the MIDI signal out the G-System and into the JVM's "MIDI IN" port. Then, I run a second MIDI cable out of the JVM's "MIDI THRU" port and into the "MIDI IN" of my second amp, which is a Mesa-Boogie TC-100. I create presets on the G-System to control/switch features on both amps, such as channel switching, effects loop on/off, reverb on/off, etc.

I use the effects loop of both amps with the G-System. The advantage is I don't have to "tap dance" that happens when each amp is using it's own effects board. The G-System has various built-in effects that sound great. The G-System also has multiple built-in loops, which are connected to the effects loops of both amps.
G-SYSTEM_P0CKX_Other4_XL.png

There are other multi-effects and rack effects systems that have similar features to the G-System. Bottom line is that you can control both amps and use both amps effects loops the same time using only one effects system; just look for a system with these features: built-in multiple loops, built-in MIDI, and built-in effects.

Deftone

Reaction score
I bought an ABY pedal (MXR) so I could closely compare amps and ended up loving the sound of two amps & cabs at once in stereo. I run the efx though the loop of one amp and run my distortion in front of the ABY pedal then into each amp input.

Noisemakers.JPG

The MXR has a 3rd output, just straight through so I can actually run three amps at once. It gets a little too busy IMHO.

I have a smaller rig in my "home office" that I run in stereo through two 2x12's as well. Using a Morley AB pedal for that.

Capture.JPG

Michael Roe

Reaction score
You can also just use one set of FX in front of one amp and run out of that amp's FX send and a stereo FX that has some kind of adjustable volume. Then send into the FX return of the other amp.

Sustainium

Reaction score
After reading lots of these type of threads I’m still stuck manually switching fx loop between two amps by hand.
Cant seem to figure it out, frustration sets in and I keep saying forget it and just play vs dicking with it yet again.:io:

Last edited:

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
I run my two amps in two stereo 5CM setups.

I run a pedalboard with a Valvestate VS65R in 4CM and have the 5th cable running to the Return of my DSL40CR.
The pedalboard is mono until a stereo TC Electronic Mimiq Doubler after the FX Send.
It's all stereo effects from there on after that.

The other way around has the DSL running in MIDI 4CM to a Boss GT-100, and the VS65R slaved by the 5th cable.

The GT-100 is best with the DSL due to the MIDI.
But almost as good is the VS65R, with the selection of ODs and the Mimiq.
Mimiq Doublers are AMAZING!
The stereo separation they create is unbelievable.

Last edited: