It Sucks To Be Right/dsl40cr!

• Thread starter Gene Ballzz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bacardi

Reaction score
Again I have the DSL40CR sounds good dead quite power or stand-by
add the Cel. Cream Alnico 90w speaker, 4-RFT/ECC83 Pre-Amp tube, 2-RFT/Siemens power tubes dead quite power or stand-by I must be the luckiest guy going and I don't use the switch or effect loop. I have no problems with this amp. if I did I would tell you for sure. I got mine from ZZounds in N.J.
I use the Source Audio Nemesis Delay Unit. Will post picture of my Friedman Board

Last edited:

jcourtjr j

Reaction score
So its been 2 months and the repair authorization center has informed me that the amp has been fixed. New board of some sort. I should have it back this week. Hopefully its fixed!

jcourtjr j

Reaction score
So got the amp back fx loop problem is history. they replaced a chip/board. Missed that sound on 20 watts. Hopefully it doesn't develop any other issues.

new pcb part M-DFXX-91001 replaces part DFX-60-00-U6.

They also found a defective C32 capacitor. Not sure what this is anyone know?

Last edited:

Delete!!

Reaction score
So got the amp back fx loop problem is history. they replaced a chip/board. Missed that sound on 20 watts. Hopefully it doesn't develop any other issues.

new pcb part M-DFXX-91001 replaces part DFX-60-00-U6.

They also found a defective C32 capacitor. Not sure what this is anyone know?

This is very interesting. Please keep us posted on how the amp performs. Did your amp have any noise issues or was it just the fx loop?

Billy Bones

Reaction score
Hello, i am new here, excuse my English, i come from spain. I just bought my dsl40cr and indeed it also has the already mentioned problems of the fx loop.
I comment my experience. I have a DIY footswitch with two buttons and two leds. I reconditioned it so that it had the same connections as the original Marshall pedal, with the only exception that the resistors of leds I put 470 ohm instead of 1komh (original in the Marshall pedal) since the voltage that reaches the pedal is 7´8 V and 7´4 V respectively, going down to 6´3 V if there is only one active chanel (regardless if is the CLassic/Ultra or the FX Loop).
After a good time of operation the fault with the original pedal started, so i decided to connect my DIY pedal.....the result was the same, the problem with this pedal reproduced too again.
According to the info read in this forum i decided to remove the leds to the DIY pedal and the problem was solved, it does exactly what it should do.
To compare i was put the original Marshall pedal back.... and again the fault.
After that i was put again the DIY pedal without leds and it was solved.
It seems then that there is a manufacturing defect in the amplifier that causes that with a pedal with leds ( i suppose with any pedal that has leds) the error occurs with the changes of channel an FX...
And that is all, this is my experience with the original pedal, mi DIY pedal with leds and mi DIY pedal withuot leds, in case this information could serve someone.
A greeting!!

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
I recently managed to get the PEDL-91016 in the UK.
I am getting the slightly annoying fault where the FX loop button needs cycling to get the loop engaged when the amp is first turned on using either classic and ultra channels (I can easily live with this). If the loop is off when the amp is turned on the problem is not reversed (i.e. on when should be off). After that, the FX loop cycles instantly using button 6, with each of the channels engaged. I am not using the supplied footswitch cable. Using a skinny, cheap instrument cable with a right-angle jack for tidiness.
I did not get any problems with the original 2 button switch (still don't, just tried it).
Will leave the amp on for an extended period today and see if any problems arise.

Paul H.

Reaction score
@SkyMonkey

I’m also UK.
Where did you get the pedal?
Most internet sites seem to describe it as ‘back order’ or ‘7 to 10 days’.
I’m kinda reluctant to part with almost a hundred quid and then sit around waiting for who knows how long.

Cheers.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
I just got lucky. My local guitar shop is Richtone Music in Sheffield. I regularly check what gear they have in new and second hand, and spotted they had 1 pedl-91016 in a Marshall search of their stock. 4 seconds later it was mine.

Last edited:

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
2 hours and still no other foot switching problems with 2 or 6 button version.
But I have noticed that at start up the FX loop LED is on, the effects loop is not engaged, but is re-engaged by cycling button 6 or pressing one of the channel buttons (1-4). Will have to try this again when the amp has cooled down.

Snowdogyyz

Reaction score
I have the 91016 pedal and the 40CR. When I first turn the amp on, the fx loop is engaged with the LED on button 6 off. I press the switch and the light comes on (loop stays on). Press again and the light goes off and the loop disengages. No issues after that. Not a big deal to me but it’s there. The 91016 made this amp so much better!

Sun King

Reaction score
I also have pedal 91016. Trying to better recall the issue, which I posted to another thread (What's the deal with DSL40CR pedal 91016?).

Still need to run more trials, *when I can*, but using the 6-button switch, while on Ultra channel (and now, as I recall, while OD2 is active), using button 5 (MV 1/2), makes the whole pedal shut off. Turning the amp to standby briefly usually brings the pedal back to life. FWIW, this only seems to happen on 20 watt setting. @GeneBallz has already noted that it is likely a switching issue with the amp, rather than a problem with the actual pedal. (Thank you Sir!)

I still need to see if there are any problems using the 2-button switch. Either way, the amp is past the "return window", but is certainly still under warranty. Bummer, since the 91016 pedal is extremely useful otherwise.

Delete!!

Reaction score
I gave both of my CR's to a friend yesterday, he is ecstatic and loves them. I used the 40CR and 5CR every week for around 8 months or so, and they served me very well. The 40CR was a little noisier than I thought it should have been (very low-level white noise), but it worked fine and never presented a problem on stage. The 5CR was a nice home amp, although in hindsight I think I should have purchased a 20CR instead. These amps were my "reintroduction" to Marshall after using other amps for the past 16 years or so. In particular, I think the 40CR is a great value (despite the quirks with some units) and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one to someone needing an affordable amp that can deliver nice tones.

CosmoKramer

Reaction score
I gave both of my CR's to a friend yesterday, he is ecstatic and loves them. I used the 40CR and 5CR every week for around 8 months or so, and they served me very well. The 40CR was a little noisier than I thought it should have been (very low-level white noise), but it worked fine and never presented a problem on stage. The 5CR was a nice home amp, although in hindsight I think I should have purchased a 20CR instead. These amps were my "reintroduction" to Marshall after using other amps for the past 16 years or so. In particular, I think the 40CR is a great value (despite the quirks with some units) and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one to someone needing an affordable amp that can deliver nice tones.

The DSL40CR has been really good to me so far, though I've only had it a few days. A great first tube amp IMO, perfect price point, built pretty well, sounds great (but has to be loud!!). I must admit I have no use of the footswitch so I havent tried it yet. It sounds really great though to my ears. Not quite as smooth as a vintage marshall but still has the bark.

tce63

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The DSL40CR has been really good to me so far, though I've only had it a few days. A great first tube amp IMO, perfect price point, built pretty well, sounds great (but has to be loud!!). I must admit I have no use of the footswitch so I havent tried it yet. It sounds really great though to my ears. Not quite as smooth as a vintage marshall but still has the bark.

HNAD, the DSL are great amps and :welcome: to the forum, cheers :cheers:

CosmoKramer

Reaction score
HNAD, the DSL are great amps and :welcome: to the forum, cheers :cheers:
Thanks man! I was a little underwhelmed with the overdrive when I first took it home and plugged it in real quick before work, but I came home and had a chance to crank it and WOW. I finally "get" the tube amp thing. It's so lively and responsive and loud as hell, and unlike my solid state amps I've had, the louder it gets the better it sounds. And the other thing I noticed is that this amp does not hide anything in my playing like my old Blackstar modeler. Maybe it's the responsiveness or just the fact that I actually anjoy this at higher volumes, but I noticed how many mistakes I actually make while playing through the DSL. I don't think I could go back to solid state, it's almost not even the same thing.

Sun King

Reaction score
So, as described earlier, my amp had a problem while using the 6-button footswitch (91016). However, I checked it out a little better, and it also has that FX loop issue. Also the indicator light, for the FX on/off switch, is non-functional.

Called Marshall USA, and the rep said he has heard of this problem, and that "some of those early build-date models" (mine is 12-17) need a firmware update on one of the circuit boards. So the amp is in the shop now. The Marshall guy also told me the exact name of said circuit board, and I remembered it long enough to tell the tech at the service center, but now I forgot! "Old-timer's"! :wallbash: I think it was, "DRB", or something like that. Sound familiar?

Anyway, can't wait to get it back!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think the amp suffered from sharing one EQ with 2 channels, in fact it was such a horrible design that I sold it and bought a JVM...all problems solved. And they say you can't solve a problem by throwing money at it, well I did. All these long threads going over the DSL problems are getting old. You saved a bunch of cash, now play it or move on. I really liked the tone when I got mine, but couldn't get past the channel switching problem, never used the switch. Mods, mods, mods comes up in every DSL thread, that indicates problems.

stringtree

Reaction score
So, as described earlier, my amp had a problem while using the 6-button footswitch (91016). However, I checked it out a little better, and it also has that FX loop issue. Also the indicator light, for the FX on/off switch, is non-functional.

Called Marshall USA, and the rep said he has heard of this problem, and that "some of those early build-date models" (mine is 12-17) need a firmware update on one of the circuit boards. So the amp is in the shop now. The Marshall guy also told me the exact name of said circuit board, and I remembered it long enough to tell the tech at the service center, but now I forgot! "Old-timer's"! :wallbash: I think it was, "DRB", or something like that. Sound familiar?

Anyway, can't wait to get it back!

I think the amp suffered from sharing one EQ with 2 channels, in fact it was such a horrible design that I sold it and bought a JVM...all problems solved. And they say you can't solve a problem by throwing money at it, well I did. All these long threads going over the DSL problems are getting old. You saved a bunch of cash, now play it or move on. I really liked the tone when I got mine, but couldn't get past the channel switching problem, never used the switch. Mods, mods, mods comes up in every DSL thread, that indicates problems.

I think I'm with you Woodshed Pilgrim, if I had a new amp and had the problems Sun King is having I would have taken it back and gotten something else..

There is a great selection of amps to choose from and more reliable than keep something that is broken right from the start.

I know not everyone has had trouble with this amp, its a personal choice type thing. What works for some, might not work for others.