It Sucks To Be Right/dsl40cr!

• Thread starter Gene Ballzz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jcourtjr j

Reaction score
Excellent, I started the process with USA music. they got back to me pretty quick. Someone is out and they will be in contact with me shortly.

On another note... As I am experiencing this problem with the marshall footswitch. Plugged it in and out numerous times. Always take about 20 mintutes or so to show up. Always on the classic gain channel.

I decided to use my Fender Deluxe reverb footswitch. Guess what? It works perfectly. I swapped them back and forth, the marshall footswitch always exhibits the problem once it starts happening and the Fender always works. No delay whatsoever. Interesting.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
That Sir @jcourtjr j is VERY interesting! :hmm: I'm gonna guess that your Fender foot switch has no LED indicator lights? Could this whole snafu/kerfuffle/fubar situation boil down to simply a glitch in powering those damn LEDs in the pedal? I think I'm going to go ahead and try the other same model foot pedal that I have for my DSL20CR and see if the problem re-appears! :facepalm:
Thanks 4 Sharin'
Gene

Bloodrock

Reaction score
I suggested the cheap footswitches were the issue long ago.... crack one open and look at it. If these are resistant based switching it’s obviously the junky footswitches.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
I suggested the cheap footswitches were the issue long ago.... crack one open and look at it. If these are resistant based switching it’s obviously the junky footswitches.

I will humbly bow to your wisdom, if you are indeed correct! I initially discounted the foot switch, because both of the identical units I have operated exactly the same on the DSL40CR and still work perfectly with the DSL20CR.
I'll Keep Y'all Posted!
Gene

jcourtjr j

Reaction score
That Sir @jcourtjr j is VERY interesting! :hmm: I'm gonna guess that your Fender foot switch has no LED indicator lights? Could this whole snafu/kerfuffle/fubar situation boil down to simply a glitch in powering those damn LEDs in the pedal? I think I'm going to go ahead and try the other same model foot pedal that I have for my DSL20CR and see if the problem re-appears! :facepalm:
Thanks 4 Sharin'
Gene

yup no LEDs. I have had the amp on for 2 hours. The fender footswitch works perfect every time. I plug the marshall back in and the symptoms return.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
Well, 5 hours of the amp completely on and at least a couple of those hours playing, using the second foot switch that HAD malfunctioned just like the other when the amp was wonky. Not even a hint of a problem now. Of course, this doesn't mean that the switch design itself ian't part of the issue, as in the posibility of stray voltage from powering the LEDs, or......?
There Ya Go!
Gene

jcourtjr j

Reaction score
Well, 5 hours of the amp completely on and at least a couple of those hours playing, using the second foot switch that HAD malfunctioned just like the other when the amp was wonky. Not even a hint of a problem now. Of course, this doesn't mean that the switch design itself ian't part of the issue, as in the posibility of stray voltage from powering the LEDs, or......?
There Ya Go!
Gene

Yeah, I think even though I "could" live with the fender footswitch, it tells me there is certainly something wrong with the amp that only manifests itself with the marshall footswitch. Which makes me think there is another gremlin in there waiting to surface. So hopefully they can do the same to mine. It just sounds soooooo good.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good grief. Blame it on a mechanical. Some fingers are only good at picking bugers.

Someone jam.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
Yeah, I think even though I "could" live with the fender footswitch, it tells me there is certainly something wrong with the amp that only manifests itself with the marshall footswitch. Which makes me think there is another gremlin in there waiting to surface. So hopefully they can do the same to mine. It just sounds soooooo good.

Ding-Ding-Ding! BINGO! We Have A Winner! You sir, are quite adept at reading between the lines!

Good On You!
Gene

matttornado

Reaction score
IMG_0665.jpg
Here's a pic. of the switches in my DSL40CR footswitch. They are the cheapest quality switches I have ever experienced. They feel like they're about to break when pressing down on them with my fingers. Solder job is crappy also.
If anyone cares, I measured the voltage used to power the LEDs on the switch and it is 9.5 volts!

Bloodrock

Reaction score
View attachment 50857
Here's a pic. of the switches in my DSL40CR footswitch. They are the cheapest quality switches I have ever experienced. They feel like they're about to break when pressing down on them with my fingers. Solder job is crappy also.
If anyone cares, I measured the voltage used to power the LEDs on the switch and it is 9.5 volts!

Yep. Mine was broken out of the box. I had to take it apart an re solder one of the buttons before I could even use it

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
New, good quality, momentary switches are cheap and easy to install! I will do so, either when they fail or when I get a chance. I'll throw a few on my next electronics parts order, to avoid separate shipping fees!

It "would" be interesting to know if that six button foot switch cures the problems encountered with the two button switch? Although, I have no desire for that six button monstrosity on my board, just to switch channels and loop on/off!
Just Sayin'
Gene

Last edited:

Wolvieberzerker

Reaction score
It's too bad honestly. Just got home from jamming mine for 4 hours or so. First through a nicely beat in 4x12 1960b cab. Killer. Then went through the combo. Volume and gain dimed. This is the 40cr. Outstanding sound. Next to a 87 2205 with 6550s. No shit. Not far off. Clean. Crunch. Od1/2. Didn't matter. It was there. We were both surprised. Between me and my buddy we have some experience with Marshalls. At volume. Not all but a heathy dose. But the build quality is suspect. It's unfortunate. Because it rips. Combo has a g12t75 by the way. Solarburn my man. Wish you were there.

jcourtjr j

Reaction score
It's too bad honestly. Just got home from jamming mine for 4 hours or so. First through a nicely beat in 4x12 1960b cab. Killer. Then went through the combo. Volume and gain dimed. This is the 40cr. Outstanding sound. Next to a 87 2205 with 6550s. No shit. Not far off. Clean. Crunch. Od1/2. Didn't matter. It was there. We were both surprised. Between me and my buddy we have some experience with Marshalls. At volume. Not all but a heathy dose. But the build quality is suspect. It's unfortunate. Because it rips. Combo has a g12t75 by the way. Solarburn my man. Wish you were there.

It sounds so freaking good. The only thing to say is that aside of the footswitch issue (and the other problem where the fx light is on after you turn the amp on, and the fx loop isn't working) is that the problem is consistent and predictable. So that give me a little confidence in that they can fix it like Gene's. Coupled with the fact that I don't even use anything in the fx loop. I could live with it as is. But I don't want to.

jcourtjr j

Reaction score
So Marshall finally got back to me after a week. They said to take it to a service center close by, drop off amp and tell them to call/contact us. I guess thats better than having to ship it out. I explained the issue briefly and it sounds like they are familiar with the issue at this point. I'll drop it off tomorrow and see how smooth this goes.

Justin Whitstine

Reaction score
Last edited:

Satchmodog

Reaction score
First of all let me say i love the tone of the DSL amps. I chose a 20 watt head since it just suited my needs best. Initially I ran it with no pedals for a week or two, but then ran my drive types through the front. I never bothered with the loop since the reverb was OK. Finally a week ago I ran my other pedals through the loop and immediately noticed the sound was colored. I had a delay on in the loop and it was working with the loop off. Once I hit the loop button the volume dropped a bit and the tone changed slightly. Once I ran the loop off again, the issue stopped, until the next time I turned the amp on. Same issue and really puzzling. I do like this amp, but it needs to go in for exchange or service.

Latest posts