• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

It's been a couple of years-Do we have a consensus on the Origin 5?

• Thread starter jeffb
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I've managed to get my Class 5 sounding pretty decent over the years without any circuit mods-

Below is through a 2x12 and the right tubes. But this is still a little muddy or flubby or unrefined I guess in the lows, harsh raspy in the highs. I was looking to see if maybe the 05 was an improvement upon this type of tone

That’s a great sounding clip Jeff,
The only time I messed around with the Origin 5 was for my buddy Brian to play bass through one, but it seems to me that all the Origin amps need to be above 5 on the dial to sing correctly.
Thanks

jeffb

Reaction score
That’s a great sounding clip Jeff,
The only time I messed around with the Origin 5 was for my buddy Brian to play bass through one, but it seems to me that all the Origin amps need to be above 5 on the dial to sing correctly.
Thanks

Brother Mitch!

Thank you Sir , for the kind words.

Yeah, the Class 5 is pretty much the same , with having to be up there for the tone goodies. I just find In prefer the Class5 at 5 Watts vs. the OR20 in the reduced power selections or with my RockCrusher. The Class5 for all its multiple faults *is* a NMV and I just love the way it feels/reacts into a proper speaker cab.

I'm looking to downsize my rig over the next year, so starting to look into my options.

jmp45

Reaction score
I sold mine. I couldn’t get on with it. I tried and tried but no luck.

I can see why, maybe it's the speaker not broken in, tubes not sure. I can get it to eq clean for me but driven it's just harsh high mid spikes. I have a class 5 and it's much much better. Maybe I had higher expectations. I'll hang onto it for awhile, maybe roll the tubes.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
........I'm looking to downsize my rig over the next year, so starting to look into my options.

I started my down size around 1979 Jeff! Lol!

What exactly are you downsizing from,...and to what?

I find it interesting when players downsize their gear. I like to see to the end result compared to the when they started.

jeffb

Reaction score
I started my down size around 1979 Jeff! Lol!

What exactly are you downsizing from,...and to what?

I find it interesting when players downsize their gear. I like to see to the end result compared to the when they started.

Back in 2011 I started upsizing again after having to downsize due to condo living from 2003-2011 (Sold all my big rigs back around 03-04- Mesa, Rivera, 1987x, 4x12 and 2x12 cabs, etc)

At this point I have the VSL40 as my mains going into the EVH2x12. Also occasionally pull out the Origin 20H, but I've pretty much given up on it. I only like it in full power mode and screaming loud, and even then I don't love it. Honeymoon went pretty fast.

I'll be putting my house on the market in the spring if not sooner, and likely will be renting for awhile until we leave New England permanently in 2-3 years. So will pick up a 1x12- looking at low watt Orange amps again (cos they sound really good at low volumes) , DSL5, ORI5, Bassbreaker 7. Possibly a 1x10 combo with the right speaker.....That sort of thing.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back in 2011 I started upsizing again after having to downsize due to condo living from 2003-2011 (Sold all my big rigs back around 03-04- Mesa, Rivera, 1987x, 4x12 and 2x12 cabs, etc)

At this point I have the VSL40 as my mains going into the EVH2x12. Also occasionally pull out the Origin 20H, but I've pretty much given up on it. I only like it in full power mode and screaming loud, and even then I don't love it. Honeymoon went pretty fast.

I'll be putting my house on the market in the spring if not sooner, and likely will be renting for awhile until we leave New England permanently in 2-3 years. So will pick up a 1x12- looking at low watt Orange amps again (cos they sound really good at low volumes) , DSL5, ORI5, Bassbreaker 7. Possibly a 1x10 combo with the right speaker.....That sort of thing.
Thanks for the response Jeff! Since thus is your thread I think I'll go of the rails for just a bit. Do you ever miss your big rigs?

Oh and I grew up in southern Connecticut, where are you located?

Timmy51

Reaction score
I can see why, maybe it's the speaker not broken in, tubes not sure. I can get it to eq clean for me but driven it's just harsh high mid spikes. I have a class 5 and it's much much better. Maybe I had higher expectations. I'll hang onto it for awhile, maybe roll the tubes.

I was using it through a couple of different speaker cabs, it helped some but still pretty harsh. I also did some tube rolling, it also helped a little bit but nothing that I couldn’t have changed with a tone knob adjustment. I also have a Class 5 head that’s much better. I had high hopes for O5 but something in the circuit just isn’t right...for me anyhow.

jmp45

Reaction score
I was using it through a couple of different speaker cabs, it helped some but still pretty harsh. I also did some tube rolling, it also helped a little bit but nothing that I couldn’t have changed with a tone knob adjustment. I also have a Class 5 head that’s much better. I had high hopes for O5 but something in the circuit just isn’t right...for me anyhow.

I haven't tried it with any cabs yet but I'm not surprised with your experience with this amp. I picked it up when they were on sale. Maybe I'll wait to see if there are any mods and take it to the bench.

Timmy51

Reaction score
I haven't tried it with any cabs yet but I'm not surprised with your experience with this amp. I picked it up when they were on sale. Maybe I'll wait to see if there are any mods and take it to the bench.

Good luck. Maybe you’ll enjoy more than I did. Everyone likes different things.

I was kinda hoping for some mods to come out for it too, but I got gas for something else and let it go. It’s a shame because this such a great platform for a great selling amp, kinda like in the Pro Jr. style. I had my hopes up really high for it, like a new and better Class5, but Marshall has let me down yet again.

vtrain

Reaction score
I picked one up earlier this year. It was super cheap for me, around $75 or so. I hated the speaker, so I switched that go a Warehouse G8C and put in Tung Sol reissue 12AX7s and an EH EL84. Much better but I also got an Origin 20, which is much more controllable for me and better plexi tones. So I sold the Origin 5. Cool amp, wish it could have taken a 10” speaker. It would make a great harmonica amp as it is.

jeffb

Reaction score
Thanks for the response Jeff! Since thus is your thread I think I'll go of the rails for just a bit. Do you ever miss your big rigs?

Oh and I grew up in southern Connecticut, where are you located?

Every single day I miss them. Well, the MESA not so much, but the Rivera and my 1987, absolutely.

I'm in Fairfield County, on the NY border.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every single day I miss them. Well, the MESA not so much, but the Rivera and my 1987, absolutely.

I'm in Fairfield County, on the NY border.
Oh wow, I grew up in Fairfield County, I spent my first 30 years of life in Danbury! I know Fairfield county pretty well, we played plenty of gigs in Danbury, Ridgefield, Bethel, etc. We had a fairly regular gig at a place called The 4 and Aft in Brewster NY! Small World!

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a feeling that with Tilt on 7 and everything else on max, boost engaged that this amp is going to record really well. Especially for Angus-esque rhythm guitar tones. I really like my re-homed Origin 5....especially with my Strat.

jmp45

Reaction score
I have a feeling that with Tilt on 7 and everything else on max, boost engaged that this amp is going to record really well. Especially for Angus-esque rhythm guitar tones. I really like my re-homed Origin 5....especially with my Strat.

I'll grab a strat next time down to the bunker and give it a shot.