I've Gone To The Orange Side! New Amp/cab Day.

• Thread starter GibsonKramer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GibsonKramer

Reaction score
This was a special order for another customer, that flaked out when it came in. Balked at the sticker price. Another guy bought it, came back within a week... too much amp for him.

My buddy kept raving about it, so I brought my pedalboard in. We plugged into an Orange 2x12 and spent at least 2 hours playing it. A bit darker than my usual Marshalls, but extremely articulate and just screams, when you open it up. Nothing like any of the SS Orange amps, I've played... which I actually really like.

It reminds me a lot of a Plexi (sacrilege!), to be honest. Has cool EQ lift, that takes the EQ out of the circuit, and its just the gain stack.

With my taste in guitars, I'm not surprised its voiced well for them. I ended up asking them to stash it for me, on the promise I'd buy it. 3 months later... it came home.

I had tried matching it with my 1960AV, loaded with Marshall Vintage. Wasn't really feeling it, so I tried running it through a Mesa Boogie 1x12 Recto cab. That was the match. The Orange cabs sound real similar to me... so I traded an old Tweaker 15 head and the Mesa, for a PPC412 (I hate the color orange... I made sure the cab was black).

Invested in a THD Hotplate as well, as I think the CS50 sound better pushed. Give up a little bit of tone, but not so much it bothers me.

20180925_223923_zps2dxekqgd.jpg

Making room for the new cab.
20181009_165953_zpsyjaqft74.jpg

Finished!
20181009_171822_zps0kuknews.jpg

Some glamour shots...
20180927_093028_zpsv1pz1sbc.jpg

20181010_135841_zpswpjs0eni.jpg

Classicplayer

Reaction score
Congratulations, and many happy hours with that new Orange. I think you are correct in that the Custom 50 has to be pushed to hear all of what it has to offer.

classicplayer

neikeel

Reaction score
Does yours need an attenuator?
I think of all the modern Oranges those Custom 50s appeal to me most. The Hotplate is not bad down to -8dB, the Alex is better. I’ve had these for a while and I guess you can get better ones now albeit much more expensive.

GibsonKramer

Reaction score
Does yours need an attenuator?
I think of all the modern Oranges those Custom 50s appeal to me most. The Hotplate is not bad down to -8dB, the Alex is better. I’ve had these for a while and I guess you can get better ones now albeit much more expensive.

Definitely needs the attenuator. Though, I'm running the amp at 8 ohms, with a 16 ohm cab. The Hotplate, is actually about half the rated ohms. I noticed the tubes were running extremely hot. Same with my Marshall.

And both were in half power mode.

Did some reading, and that's the culprit. Plugged the CS50 into 8 ohm output, and there was a significant increase in usable tone.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
This was a special order for another customer, that flaked out when it came in. Balked at the sticker price. Another guy bought it, came back within a week... too much amp for him.

My buddy kept raving about it, so I brought my pedalboard in. We plugged into an Orange 2x12 and spent at least 2 hours playing it. A bit darker than my usual Marshalls, but extremely articulate and just screams, when you open it up. Nothing like any of the SS Orange amps, I've played... which I actually really like.

It reminds me a lot of a Plexi (sacrilege!), to be honest. Has cool EQ lift, that takes the EQ out of the circuit, and its just the gain stack.

With my taste in guitars, I'm not surprised its voiced well for them. I ended up asking them to stash it for me, on the promise I'd buy it. 3 months later... it came home.

I had tried matching it with my 1960AV, loaded with Marshall Vintage. Wasn't really feeling it, so I tried running it through a Mesa Boogie 1x12 Recto cab. That was the match. The Orange cabs sound real similar to me... so I traded an old Tweaker 15 head and the Mesa, for a PPC412 (I hate the color orange... I made sure the cab was black).

Invested in a THD Hotplate as well, as I think the CS50 sound better pushed. Give up a little bit of tone, but not so much it bothers me.

Finished!

Some glamour shots...

Always wanted to try one of these. Congrats :yesway:

Mystic38

Reaction score
Congrats..

I have Rocker 30 and AD30 and have always have been interested in the CS50 but out of my budget.. enjoy!

BftGibson

Reaction score
Very nice classy set up, congrats !! got my Marshall's set...Laney Lonheart 60 is staying...hummm..never really entertained Orange, "darker and articulate" is appealing to me

GibsonKramer

Reaction score
Welcome to the Orange side.

I've had a Micro Terror and the little 1x8 cab. I usually ran it through the Mesa, though. I really like it. I was playing some big SS 120w head today into a 2x12. Damn, they have absolutely nailed an iconic tone, solid state. Cracks me up.

The tube amps are really a different beast. Lot of depth and layers in chords, notes. Power chords and Minor variations... Wow!

Congrats..

I have Rocker 30 and AD30 and have always have been interested in the CS50 but out of my budget.. enjoy!

Before I truly accepted the price tag, and had I returned it. I would have got another Orange. It would have been production line, and I bet I'd still like it. Maybe as much.

I didn't pay anywhere near retail, and came in well under any sale price. It was a favor they did, for someone that spends a boatload of money there, and more important... moved a product that would've gathered dust. I don't know if I would have paid, what they originally wanted. I've paid more for guitars, but... I try not to.

There's not much to this, especially when you kick in the EQ lift, which is how I usually play it. It's just the gain stack. Extremely honest sounding amp, while making it sound good as possible. And of course, built like a tank.

HNAD and nice cave!

I like it.

Though, I've been telling my daughter lately, I should have just taken the whole garage, or at least another third. I want more amps. I'm pretty cool on guitars. There's a couple I want. But I can always keep buying amps.

Last edited:

ampmadscientist

Reaction score

Finished!

Some glamour shots...

I love to crunch on Orange amps. Crunch crunch crunch, I could crunch a bunch. :shred2:

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
HNAD/CD Orange and Marshall/ peanut butter and jelly/ beer and pizza/ steak n eggs/ biscuits and gravy/ g strings and b strings, how did that get in here! He He.:cool:

Latest posts