Jackson RR1 questions

• Thread starter ibmorjamn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Who is the Jackson guru here ?
I see a Lightning Sky RR1 , I heard there were some imports that were as good as the USA's so they quit making them.
How are they identifiable ?

Blacque Jacque

Reaction score
I can't say for certain, but most likely they would be MIJ ones. They went through asimilar cycle in the late 80's when MIJ Charvels were as good if not better than US Jacksons.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
I think all the RR1's are USA made it's the RR3 that's MIJ.
USA RR1 Randy Rhoads | USA Select | Jackson® Guitars

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jackson-rr3-rhoads-electric-guitar

280238878129-1.jpg

dreyn77

Reaction score
yeah the lightning sky models are awesome and so too is the multi colour swirl flying v's. they're more heavy than most flying v jacksons. the cheaper they got the lighter they were.

lookout for the ebony fingerboard models. real good.

here, they were $1000 brand new when the average model was $300-600 but now they're $2400 S/H. :(

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
MF has them for almost $3000 , I wish I had payed closer attention to the guitar while playing it. I keep telling myself it can't be USA for that price but it might just be. I'm going back today.

dsn716

Reaction score
The RR1 is a USA made model. There were several MIJ models over the years, both bolt-on and neck-thru. If the serial number stamped on the bottom of the fretboard begins with a "U", it's a USA model.
The "lightning sky" artwork has been a standard finish option on the USA made V's and Soloists since the late 90's or early 2000's.

dreyn77

Reaction score
WOW nice score!
yeah that's an ebony fingerboard alright. ;)

real mother o pearl inlays also.

well done.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Those are nice guitars. I have always liked the USA RR models and the Soloist.

I hope you got a great price.
Not bad and it has a case. It was meant to be mine Lol
Yesterday I took my sons x-mas gift(Ibanez classical) to exchange it.
I got him a Fender T bucket electric acoustic in violin burst.
I saw the RR-1 and played but I was busy trying find him the right guitar . I went home and found the guitar I exchanged for him was on sale so I had to go back today and get the difference ($74)

I got $74 back and traded in the Epi ES-339. I lost the ES-339 , She will be missed but it's a huge upgrade.
I have to wait for it to be released , oh and finish paying them the other half.
I had been eyeing the SL-2 pro but I never thought I would end up with this model. It is a bit surreal to me.

Last edited:

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Definite shredder guitar! Looks to be in pretty good shape.

:cheers:
It is a shredder and I am not at that level but it sure has the looks and feel. I could have bought a studio for the price but RR is one of my favorite players. Now I feel obligated to learn a small portion of what he
played !:shred:

Jackson's have such high quality and the necks are amazing!! Congrats on that sweet guitar!

DP
I could not agree more, thanks.:yesway:

dreyn77

Reaction score
yeah like the guys say, it's in great shape. orig big frets, original allen key nut bolts, etc...

serious guitar icon, revolution in guitar shape and the top model and still looks awesome today.

I've bought some guitars where the floyd was corroded heavily but your guitar looks like it's been in the case all it's life.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Good score! I've been drawn in and intrigued by the radical look of those guitars and still am, but I'm an old guy and I'm afraid it would eventually be too radical for me. GAS! Damn, I gotta get a Tele first before I even consider one of these...

dreyn77

Reaction score
These sorts of guitars make you play guitar differently.

Oh man, you gotta play some RR music with this ;)

Even if you just learn the 'flow' of randy's music style you'll have some incredible fun playing stuff.

I recommend the song 'believer' with these guitars.

Bear R.

Reaction score
The RR'S are incredible..I have an 85 San Dimas model w/the Serial # RR----. Jackson was still coming into their own.!!..Great score brother..I Love it..you gotta good one... there's no Guitars quite like em..they are truly an incredible playing instrument..

Randy Rhoads knew what he wanted and was truly a Genius...we will never know what would have come of Him..but he did a lot in His very brief time on Earth..almost like He knew.....RIP Randy...We all Love ya Brother..!!..Grover too, is an incredibley talented man as was, Mike Shannon,. the Man responsible for Building Randy's guitars. .thank you Jackson USA for some of the best guitars in the world.!!.

Anyways brother, thanks for sharing your story and the pics..Enjoy that bad boy..God Bless...Barry

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
These sorts of guitars make you play guitar differently.

Oh man, you gotta play some RR music with this ;)

Even if you just learn the 'flow' of randy's music style you'll have some incredible fun playing stuff.

I recommend the song 'believer' with these guitars.
Most definetly need to learn some of Randy's work.

The RR'S are incredible..I have an 85 San Dimas model w/the Serial # RR----. Jackson was still coming into their own.!!..Great score brother..I Love it..you gotta good one... there's no Guitars quite like em..they are truly an incredible playing instrument..

Randy Rhoads knew what he wanted and was truly a Genius...we will never know what would have come of Him..but he did a lot in His very brief time on Earth..almost like He knew.....RIP Randy...We all Love ya Brother..!!..Grover too, is an incredibley talented man as was, Mike Shannon,. the Man responsible for Building Randy's guitars. .thank you Jackson USA for some of the best guitars in the world.!!.

Anyways brother, thanks for sharing your story and the pics..Enjoy that bad boy..God Bless...Barry
Thanks ,I am humbled by the icon and this awesome guitar.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Good score! I've been drawn in and intrigued by the radical look of those guitars and still am, but I'm an old guy and I'm afraid it would eventually be too radical for me. GAS! Damn, I gotta get a Tele first before I even consider one of these...

Blues , recognize this art work ?
axrw4.jpg