JCM 2000 DSL problems. Plz Help

• Thread starter fcferic
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fcferic

Reaction score
Hey, I have a JCM 2000 DSL 1x12 head and I am having issues with it.

I play in a band with another guitarist that has an identical Marshall head and the other amplifier always seems to have more power to it. The sound is louder and the amp overall works better. I replaced the power tubes figuring that may be the issue, but that didn't solve anything. Could it be the cab that I'm running it out of?(marshall orange crunch cab aka a 4x12 JCM 900-1960A with orange tolex)

Here's the problem. My head volume is set to 6 to compete with his head which is set to 3. Something is seriously eff'ed up

Now I do play on an Epiphone Les Paul with EMG pick-ups, and I replaced the battery to it within the past couple of weeks noticing near to no difference.

I am playing a show tomorrow, so the sooner I can get this fixed the better. =/

amplifier

Reaction score
What about wattage? Almost sounds like you have a 50 watt head and he's got a 100 watt head.

Jagermike

Reaction score
could be a number of things! im assuming the other guy has the same kind of cab as you? might be worth opening both up and checking that the cones are identical, also make sure all 4 of yours are firing properly.

Check youre running out your amp at the correct impedance? think a marshall 1960 should run at 16Ohms mono so it shouldnt be a problem, but i could be wrong, if its an 8Ohm cab and your running at 16, that would screw with the power.

If your amp is the 50watt version it should only have 2 power tubes in it instead of 4 (which the 100 watt would have), that would cause 3dB of volume difference between the two, so i suppose it could be that.

other than these quick fixes it could be at internal problem, for example a dodgy capacitor or even worse the output transformer could be dying a slow death! Are you running the same pedals i the front end of your amp as the other guy? (if you have any!)

Hope this helps!

M

fdesalvo

Reaction score
Wattage shouldn't be an issue. You are saying that you have a 1x12 head? Do you have a head or a combo? If you are running your combo through a 4x12, then that is likely your problem.

If not and you meant that you have a head, put it on your friend's cabinet and let us know if that solves it.

Latest posts