JCM 2000 idle buzz/hum

What?

Reaction score
Yeah, thanks, this was one of the points of my thread, trying to determine if this buzz was "native" to this amp or it was a problem specific to mine. So it's like @Tatzmann
said, it's a "feature" of this amp it seems. Of course, in a band/gig scenario, where the noise flor is higher than a silent studio/bedroom, it's unnoticeable.

I actually never noticed until you started this thread asking about it. It's very slight.

Tatzmann

Reaction score
On your 50, maybe, it has a different powertransformer, different manufacturer even, as some posts above signaled.

If your accustomed to dead silent idling amps, like older 1959's or 2203's, this mechanical vibration is quite obvious and distracting, i recognized it seconds after putting the DSL online.

Its not a big problem, but the 2000 DSL's were no low budget amps either, but in retrospect, they were not worth their retailprice.

nortiks

Reaction score
Mine makes a tiny bit of noise when its ON (meaning not on standby). That doesn't sound excessive to me at all compared to the level of your spoken voice. Some amps designs are dead quiet, but others do have a bit of residual hum. I own some of each and for me its not an issue at that level.

nortiks

Reaction score
Maybe... I can't say for sure. The noise on mine I could call it noticeable too. The thing is that everyone on this thread who owns this amp has admitted to have that kind of noise, it doesn't look unnatural for this amp.

As long as it doesn't interfere with the playing, I posted my suggestion before to make it less annoying.

Also no, it doesn't have to do about the bias drift issue that the OP was asking at the first post. Mine doesn't have bias drift (I check the bias regularly) and I do have hiss when not on standby.
It can develop a hum that is due to the bad board. But what OP recorded definitely isn't it.

On mine when it warmed up fully (before the fix),the hum was a fairly clean 60 cycle sine that with the channel volume on full gave a whopping 2 Volt peak to peak 60 cycle hum at the speaker!

felipevsw

Reaction score
On your 50, maybe, it has a different powertransformer, different manufacturer even, as some posts above signaled.

If your accustomed to dead silent idling amps, like older 1959's or 2203's, this mechanical vibration is quite obvious and distracting, i recognized it seconds after putting the DSL online.

Its not a big problem, but the 2000 DSL's were no low budget amps either, but in retrospect, they were not worth their retailprice.
Mine has a Dagnall PT and Drake OT, so they're stock transformers it seems.

Yes, I have been playing a 1987 and 2204 circuits that I assembled using PTP method, great quality components and transformers, the best I could get my hands on, so they are very quiet indeed, minus the regular hiss when the volume and gain are up.
This made my ears immediately pick up the buzz when I first powered on the 2000 at home.
Mine makes a tiny bit of noise when its ON (meaning not on standby). That doesn't sound excessive to me at all compared to the level of your spoken voice. Some amps designs are dead quiet, but others do have a bit of residual hum. I own some of each and for me its not an issue at that level.

Also, it appears to be louder because I recorded it with the mic very close to the speaker and the gain in the interface on max, just to demonstrate the sound it was making, it isn't that loud, and only noticeable when the noise flor is very low, like when I'm alone in the room or something. If there are other people in the room talking and such, it's unnoticeable.

nortiks

Reaction score
Also, it appears to be louder because I recorded it with the mic very close to the speaker and the gain in the interface on max, just to demonstrate the sound it was making, it isn't that loud, and only noticeable when the noise flor is very low, like when I'm alone in the room or something. If there are other people in the room talking and such, it's unnoticeable.
I'd say its A-OK then. Enjoy it!

Latest posts