JCM 2000 TSL Footswitch cable mod

• Thread starter Texasbluezman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Texasbluezman

Reaction score
I decided to start my own thread about this. I know this has been done before, but wanted to share my experience.

Here's what I've got so far. Wired up the female with some short leads to attach to the PCB. Also got one male end wired up, didn't take a pic before putting together. I'll do that on the next one.

I'll have to widen the hole on the footswitch to make it fit and drill two holes for the mounting screws.

If all this experimenting doesn't work, I'm just gonna drop the $100 or so for an aftermarket.

If this does work, I'll probably order future cables from here. MIDI6-XX

Texasbluezman

Reaction score
I made the hole bigger, to compensate for the female plug.

Using this:

In this vice:

It fits!

Then, drilled two pilot holes for the mounting screws:

Then, went to install new plug, and BAM! Cordless screwdriver had a mind of its own. Screw wobbled and the screwdriver slipped off the screw and damaged the plug.

So, I've ordered a new plug. I also ordered two more male ends, with metal ends this time, instead of plastic. First, because I ordered a pair of female ends for some stupid reason, and second, I want to make a spare cable, in case of emergency.

Waiting on order now, should be in soon. Will update with pics.

Texasbluezman

Reaction score
Also, I think I'm gonna stop by Radio Shack and get some smaller wire strippers. I've had to use a knife so far, truly sucks. I may look into one of those stations to help hold stuff still, you know, the one with the magnifying glass! This stuff is small.

Texasbluezman

Reaction score
Here's the footswitch out of the chassis and all the wires unsoldered. May put some leads on that tonight. Will be using a 25w soldering iron.

Texasbluezman

Reaction score
My main problem is when I hit the lead switch, it will go to the crunch channel. I went ahead and soldered the cable straight to the PCB last night and,,,,, it was still doing the same thing. With a new end and cable. So last night I had the bright idea to take the lead switch off the board. I just broke it off, and left the pins and solder. Brought it to work to search on the internet for a replacement. I found one here: Single Pole Double Throw (SPDT) PCB Mount Latching Push Button Footswitch

I was thinking it was a SPST, but it looks like its a SPDT. So I just bought three of them. Gonna see what happens.

If I keep this up, I'm gonna have more $ in this one, when I could of just bought an aftermarket for.

Another thought was, what if it isn't the footswitch or cable, and it's the receiving female plug in the amp, or something else in the amp. I don't think I want to dive in there just yet. But, we'll see what happens.

Texasbluezman

Reaction score
Thanks for chiming in. I did read about that in another thread. Seems like a really good idea, and something I may try in the future.

Do you happen to have any pics of mod, on the amp side? I haven't even had the back off the amp yet.

I just got one kid out on his own, which freed up a bedroom. Now I'm waiting on the contractor that Home Depot uses to come put new carpet in there. Then I can get out of my wife's craft room and start doing some fun stuff!

Kais

Reaction score
I can't comment on the mod, tho looks interesting. But I can comment on the switch doctor for the the TSL. its about $100 but works as expected. Good luck

Texasbluezman

Reaction score
I still may go that way. But, I want to make sure it's not the connection in the head also. It won't matter which footswitch I have if the problem lurks inside.

Here's where I'm at now.

Here's the plug installed:

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
I have used these before:

Ethernet-Connector--RJ45-Plastic-Screw-AX.jpg

Texasbluezman

Reaction score
I forgot about this thread, cause I hit a road block. After all the work was done, the footswitch did not work any differently than before, plus I had the wrong switch, as stated previously. I, instead, built my own 2 button footswitch from another thread on the forum, and it works flawless.

Here it is: