JCM 800 single vs 2 channel video

• Thread starter Mickrich
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mickrich

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I recently picked up a 4103 combo and a 4210 combo.
I got the 4210 modded to add a presence control which is missing on this combo due to space.
It replaces the DI level pot on the back and has made a massive difference to the sound of the amp.
Anyway, I did a video demo of the 2 amps run as heads into Mesa cab.
Both boosted with Boss SD-1.
Which do you prefer ?
I love the rawness of the 4103 but the extra compression and saturation of the 4210 is great too.
More details in the youtube description and hit 1080 =]

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I got the 4210 modded to add a presence control which is missing on this combo due to space.
It replaces the DI level pot on the back and has made a massive difference to the sound of the amp.
Which do you prefer ?
I love the rawness of the 4103 but the extra compression and saturation of the 4210 is great too.

They both sound great, there’s a bit more juice in the first clip, but clarity and punch is on the second clip, I would use either one with no problem.
Cheers Mitch

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Which do you prefer ?

Both sound good for that type of music. The 4103 sounds a bit scooped (less mids), compared to the 4210, but better to my ears. And yes, the 4210 sounds more saturated and compressed, probably due to the SD-1, combined with the diode clipping of the 4210.

Last edited:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Which do you prefer ?

I like the 4210 it has a more open tone. :yesway:

69ChevyP/U

Reaction score
I own a 4210 and a 2204. Usually I prefer the 2204. Speakers have a huge impact on the voice of an amp too. The best speaker I’ve found for my 4210 is an older G12-65. The 2204 sits on a 78’ cab with 25w Blackbacks. These are two of the best circuits around and cover a lot of bases IMO..

I prefer the 4210 in the above clip^^

Mickrich

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment.
The single channel is always the one people say is better and the 2 channel gets a bad rep.
I feel this clip sort of disproves that.
The single channel is amazing but the 2 channel is different but also great.
The band in the studio today had no hesitation picking the 2 channel 800 out of all the amps in the studio (including a couple of mesas and an evh)

69ChevyP/U

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment.
The single channel is always the one people say is better and the 2 channel gets a bad rep.
I feel this clip sort of disproves that.
The single channel is amazing but the 2 channel is different but also great.
The band in the studio today had no hesitation picking the 2 channel 800 out of all the amps in the studio (including a couple of mesas and an evh)
Could be too that you just “have a good one” as we all know there can be minute differences in the tolerances of different components adding to, or taking away from, the overall package. I bought my 4210 because it was priced in such a way that I could not pass it up. When I was in the market for a JCM 800 2204, I purchased four of them all vertical input from the early 80s and spent a bunch of time with them. I picked the best one and sold the other three. You know each amp sounded different. Not night and day, but different.