• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Jcm 800 Vs. Jmp

• Thread starter wareagle
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wareagle

Reaction score
hi! im a new member here, i have an opprotunity to buy a new amp but have found these 2 as my favs

JCM 800, 1984, 2204, head.
OR
JMP 100 watt, 1978, Super Lead Plexi, MKII, combo.

Just before u guys help me decide, is there any diff between a jcm 800 and a jcm800 mkII? are all jcm 800s mkII's? btw i play classic rock, and loads of ozzy. i dont like too much distortion ala jcm 900, jcm 2000...ect, i dont like the reissue's heard they fall apart, but tone wise are ok. lets also say they are the same price so price isnt a factor. i hate when the sound fades also. i like sustain. also assume that the jmp is coming with a distortion pedal and a overdrive, and the jcm with an overdrive. any suggestions?

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
i would go with the JCM 800 , its more the sound your looking for , not that a JMP
could not do it , but the 800 is the sound of the 80's rock , also that JCM 800 is
a great amp to mod if you wish in the future. i also seldom use a pedal in front of
my amps , it thins the tone ...... IMO.

wareagle

Reaction score
ye thts true. is ther any diff between a combo and a head, being both are the same model and all tht?

wareagle

Reaction score
nope. not a master volume, its the single channel non master volume one. i think...it has presenance, treble, bass, middle, normal, and pre amp, thats it.

steelhorse

Reaction score
imo it's a good thing though I'm sure others may feel differently for certain reasons.

wareagle

Reaction score
does it mess with tone, i heard that somewhere. i also find i dont like the sustain on the 800. it fades fast. idk if it needs new tubes but it just fades, the jmp doesnt.

G.A.S Man

Reaction score
Hey there, i actually have both amps, i have a 1979 master volume JMP 100 watt superlead head with a 1960a classic 4x12 cab, I also have a 1985 2204 JCM800 head (vert inputs toggle power and standby switches) with the matching jcm 800 cab. Lemme tell ya to my ears BIG difference, if your not playing huge venues the 100watt jmp is not a great choice, even though its a master volume to get the angus young spank you have to go past nuts and into insane on the volume! I believe ive killed squirrels and small dogs with the damn thing. To be the 800 is the perfect beast awesome response and you can get it pushed without blowing eardrums, im actually thinking of selling my jmp and getting another 800. But thats my views and ive been know to be wrong.

steelhorse

Reaction score
If you dig Zakk & Ozzy the JCM 800 is definitely the one. As far as sustain goes I believe Zakk uses 6550's in his 800's and of course the highly touted Zakk OD pedal which he claims gives him lots of sustain.

wareagle

Reaction score
hmm...o btw neither amps are master volumes. what im gona do is go back to both shops, try the jmp with a distortion and overdrive and the jcm with some overdrives and see.

steelhorse

Reaction score
or you could buy my brand new DSL100 :naughty:

With a set of KT77's in there it will get that crunch and vibe.

Doomhawk

Reaction score
actually both amps are Master Volume. if it has a pre amp knob its master volume. and maybe you need to think more along the lines do you need a 50w or a 100w. the jmp is 100w (2203) the 800 is a 50W (2204). the 50w will break up faster and get you to that creamy overdrive faster. both amps will be really loud. so my advise is to just turn them both up and rock and then see which one you like. try not to use a pedal in front. because if you going to use distortion pedals for your sound, you should just buy another amp all together.

steelhorse

Reaction score
I agree about the pedal thing Doomhawk, but a few folks think I'm nuts when I suggest that. :cool:

wareagle

Reaction score
i was going to with the jmp, its in a small store, the jcm is in sam ash.... the jmp isnt a master, i saw it. it had 2 volumes, no preamp. the jcm 800 didnt have a master unless the "normal" which is the only volume knob is it. both single channel, both rockin. im gona try both again thursday.

Chadman

Reaction score
hi! im a new member here, i have an opprotunity to buy a new amp but have found these 2 as my favs

JCM 800, 1984, 2204, head.
OR
JMP 100 watt, 1978, Super Lead Plexi, MKII, combo.

Just before u guys help me decide, is there any diff between a jcm 800 and a jcm800 mkII? are all jcm 800s mkII's? btw i play classic rock, and loads of ozzy. i dont like too much distortion ala jcm 900, jcm 2000...ect, i dont like the reissue's heard they fall apart, but tone wise are ok. lets also say they are the same price so price isnt a factor. i hate when the sound fades also. i like sustain. also assume that the jmp is coming with a distortion pedal and a overdrive, and the jcm with an overdrive. any suggestions?

I have a Reissue JCM 800 (2203) it's very solid and sounds great!:headbanger:

mmorse

Reaction score
i was going to with the jmp, its in a small store, the jcm is in sam ash.... the jmp isnt a master, i saw it. it had 2 volumes, no preamp. the jcm 800 didnt have a master unless the "normal" which is the only volume knob is it. both single channel, both rockin. im gona try both again thursday.

If the JCM 800 doesn't have a master, than it is NOT a 2204. How many inputs does it have 2 or 4? Here's a pic of a 2204:

http://insideamplifiers.com/wp-content/gallery/marshall-jcm800-03-25-08/23022008006.jpg

This one is pre 1984 as it has vertical inputs. If the head you are looking at has 4 inputs and is 50 watts, then it's a 1987. Model number not the year. Those are pretty rare. Most JCM800s are the MV types. Something to think about.

wareagle

Reaction score
ye thts it. 2 inputs, side by side. it has normal and preamp. is normal master? im guessing master is the only volume control. the jmp is definatly non master. they didnt even make master volumes until the 80s right?