• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Jcm 800

• Thread starter oldGNRfan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Boosted Or Not

• Boosted

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Not

Votes: 8 44.4%

• Total voters

oldGNRfan

Reaction score
Simple Question Here. Please Vote Whether You Like Your JCM 800 Boosted Or Not And PLEASE State Why!

Unknown3

Reaction score
I'd have to say yes. But this is only because I would roll back a bit on the gain of the amp, roll back the pedal gain and max out level. I find that with certain overdrive pedals, the pedal will shape the tone more the way I want it, adding more clarity, thickening up the sound a bit but most importantly, smoothen it out a little. Not much at all, but just a bit.

BTW Yeah after a month or so of absense I AM back again. Went through shitty period where I was broke and hanging around here made me miserable :D

pinto79

Reaction score
I like to boost mine to shape the sound to my liking. The fundamental tones of the amp are my favourite, but I like a bit more drive.

BrotherJ

Reaction score
no. i've tried many overdive/distotion pedals but ALL reduce the bass too much

Which pedals did you use to drive the front end?

I use an OCD which has no bass loss at all, also a modded SD-1 (They have a really easy fix to bring the bass back into the signal)

Chadman

Reaction score

I use an OCD which has no bass loss at all, also a modded SD-1 (They have a really easy fix to bring the bass back into the signal)

What is this easy fix you talk about?? I Have an SD-1 in front of my 800 and I would love to get more bass?

Do you have a Mod?

zoolman

Reaction score

I have tried Fulltone FD-2 and '69 pedal. Also a very early BOSS OD-1 and a BOSS HM-2. I liked the sound of all of the above but eventually always missed the bass frequencies. Also tried a Keeley comp which again is a great sound but to my ears the guitar straight in has something special.

Steve

felim

Reaction score
What is this easy fix you talk about?? I Have an SD-1 in front of my 800 and I would love to get more bass?

Do you have a Mod?

Replace C3 and C8 (.047uF capacitors) with .1uF capacitors.

Flipstick

Reaction score
The OCD in front is a stone killer. Boosts the bass, just like turning up the gain. Nice, full sound. Really opens up the amp. I run OCD => ProCo Rat 2 => Boss MT-2, and it gets pretty wild right before the cops come.