JCM 900 SLX 2500, JCM2000 DSL50, why the shear hatred?

• Thread starter Clockworkmike
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

abkeller1

Reaction score
I have a JCM 2000 DSL 50 for past 3 years. Red channel 1 put a clean boost in the loop and boost it, sounds amazing. So much gain and tight. Crunch channel with an SD-1 kills. Plus a great Clean channel. SL-X, no clean, and does not do cleans well. I.M.O.

Sg-ocaster

Reaction score
I had a 50w SLX 2500 I liked it back 15+years ago. This was befor I knew about rolling preamp tubes I often wonder what I coulda got out of it by rolling tubes. Mine was reliable played allot of gigs on it. Only time it broke was a cold solder joint cause my drummer tossed it in the truck(it was heavy therefor it must be unbreakable:nono::erk:)
The DSL I allways thought were pretty decent and I love my Baby Reissue 15 watter........But I have heard horror stories of JCM2000 ribbon wire problems and bad traces.
But I'm discovering through the years to say screw what people say use what inspires you to play. What one guy looks for in tone may not be for you.
Case in point the Silver Jubilee one of thee most beloved Marshalls EVER..........I HATE them. I owned one and thought it was HORRID played one in the studio(for 2 minutes befor I whined to use my own amp)and hated it. The JCM900 DR most bashed Marshall tube amp ever......repaired one for a freind and thought it was OK....not my FAV but decent and unique.
Use what YOU like.:agreed:
EDIT: I gotta start reading post dates........:iough:

marshalled

Reaction score
Say to your local local guitar shops and repair shops "go to fishing" is the best time that it can invest...

My 2 cents.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score

MKIII900

Reaction score
I have a MKIII. Petty similar to an SLX but it has diodes instead of the extra preamp tube the SLX has.
I set the preamp to about 7, gain sensitivity at about 3 and have an eq in the loop. Sounds fantastic. I can get metal with a boss SD-1 engaged, hard rock with it off and with the neck pickup volume rolled down I can do clean enough cleans for me. With either my EMG loaded LP or my Parker with its JB/Hotrails combo I can get quite a nice tone for jazz on the neck pickup just by turning the gain sensitivity to 0. Little hair on it but not too much.
It was my first try at a single channel amp and I've never been happier with my tone. I spend way more time actually playing than trying to balance between channels every time I change the master volume, like I had to do on every 2 or 3 channel (tsl, 5150, dual rec, Rivera knucklehead, 2210, Mesa Mark 3) amp I've had.
I like my 900 way more than the 800 2210 I had and the 2210 is a much more loved amp on forums than any version of the 900.

Last edited:

PowerTube44

Reaction score
I sold a JCM 800 2210 a few years ago, and haven't spent one second missing it. I just got a JCM 2000 DSL 100 and it's love.

The 800 had some great sounds that could be coaxed out of it, but when I did, it also came with a fair amount of hiss. The Reverb was the weakest thing I've ever heard; you could barely tell when it was on, even maxed out. Don't even get me started on the "Clean" channel. It was clean, alright, but had no warmth whatsoever. Anything played on it sounded like "clunk, clunk, clunk."

If anyone cares, here are some pics:

Marshall1.jpg
Marshall2.jpg

Crikey

Reaction score
I sold a JCM 800 2210 a few years ago, and haven't spent one second missing it. I just got a JCM 2000 DSL 100 and it's love.

The 800 had some great sounds that could be coaxed out of it, but when I did, it also came with a fair amount of hiss. The Reverb was the weakest thing I've ever heard; you could barely tell when it was on, even maxed out. Don't even get me started on the "Clean" channel. It was clean, alright, but had no warmth whatsoever. Anything played on it sounded like "clunk, clunk, clunk."

View attachment 93598
View attachment 93599
I have the 2210. No hiss at all and while not a fender Tr clean it sounds great to my ears. My 2210 is a bad mofo. Takes pedals well. The reverb is pretty weak i admit

PowerTube44

Reaction score
I have the 2210. No hiss at all and while not a fender Tr clean it sounds great to my ears. My 2210 is a bad mofo. Takes pedals well. The reverb is pretty weak i admit

The hiss I got was more about me and the way I did things than the amp, meaning the pedal combinations I was running.

abkeller1

Reaction score
I have a MKIII. Petty similar to an SLX but it has diodes instead of the extra preamp tube the SLX has.
I set the preamp to about 7, gain sensitivity at about 3 and have an eq in the loop. Sounds fantastic. I can get metal with a boss SD-1 engaged, hard rock with it off and with the neck pickup volume rolled down I can do clean enough cleans for me. With either my EMG loaded LP or my Parker with its JB/Hotrails combo I can get quite a nice tone for jazz on the neck pickup just by turning the gain sensitivity to 0. Little hair on it but not too much.
It was my first try at a single channel amp and I've never been happier with my tone. I spend way more time actually playing than trying to balance between channels every time I change the master volume, like I had to do on every 2 or 3 channel (tsl, 5150, dual rec, Rivera knucklehead, 2210, Mesa Mark 3) amp I've had.
I like my 900 way more than the 800 2210 I had and the 2210 is a much more loved amp on forums than any version of the 900.
I don';t know about that 2210 more loved than an MKIII. I would think the reverse would be more accurate.

abkeller1

Reaction score
A 900 isn't a good as an 800 which isn't a good as a jmp which doesn't stand up to a metal face which pale against a plexi... it all goes back to the golden(internet) rule of music equipment...."they got it right the first time, everything that comes later sucks"
Why isn't an 800 2203 as good as a JMP? They are basicly the same amps with a litte more gain in the 800. After the 800 everything changed. However the Vintage Modern is an exception. It's got it's own flavor but plays like an older Marshall.

abkeller1

Reaction score
Why isn't an 800 2203 as good as a JMP? They are basicly the same amps with a litte more gain in the 800. After the 800 everything changed. However the Vintage Modern is an exception. It's got it's own flavor but plays like an older Marshall.
All the 900 amps are a little darker than the previous versions. Some might like that. However the older Marshall were know for their bright high mids that cut through a mix like no other.

abkeller1

Reaction score

View attachment 93598
View attachment 93599
2210 completly different beast than a 2203. Different ciruits and diodes in the preamp. JCM 2000 is pure Tube distortion. Anyone who says that Diodes are acceptable in the preamp, is kidding themselves.(It's especially true if you really can't crank the amp to get the power tubes going) I've had a 900 DR, and a Silver Jubile. They don't play or sound the same as a pure tube/valve amp. However, I personally never do that for rythm playing. Just for a lead solo only and not all the time. Stick a clean boost in front if you want added gain with about 5db.

Last edited:

johan.b

Reaction score

I was being sarcastic....I guess it was lost in text... my point was that it seems people always look down on later versions of whatever musical equipment they are looking at. ... if an amp maker release an amp with black knobs then change the knobs six months into production and nothing else, people on the Internet will tell you how superior the black-knob amp is to later examples.... always.... and its a peculiarity of musical equipment I find.... no one is turning down a 2021 BMW for the "superior" 1976 model... it's a music equipment thing...
.. and for what it's worth...my jcm800 4010 won't be buried with me, that would be silly, but it's not going anywhere while I'm still around...

jeffb

Reaction score
Maybe due to component/iron differences but my JMP 2104 (late 70s) and my JCM 2204 (mid 80s), definitely did not sound the same through the same speakers. And they both ran same same tubes pre and power.

They were like siblings, not twins. The JMP had a more 3 dimensional and brighter tone, and the JCM was a bit more flat and dark sounding. I stupidly sold the JMP because I was tired of carting a 2x12 and a 4x12 around everywhere. I should have jammed the 2104 guts into the 2204 headshell.