JCM 900 vs. JCM 2000

• Thread starter tonyd927
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DSL100 Dude

Reaction score
Runnin' like a racehorse so far. With the little somthin' I am getting for it should make it all the better.

I don't have a clue what the difference is between a normal DSL and these new DSL-MLB heads but the price drop on them is big. I am sure there are still some "new" DSLs sitting around in stores and online too. Bound to find a deal somewhere.

tonyd927

Reaction score
Runnin' like a racehorse so far. With the little somthin' I am getting for it should make it all the better.

I don't have a clue what the difference is between a normal DSL and these new DSL-MLB heads but the price drop on them is big. I am sure there are still some "new" DSLs sitting around in stores and online too. Bound to find a deal somewhere.

The only thing ive seen is the white binding on the front is black and i think the rear panel is black too..

i just want mine back:(:(:(

GuitarGuy503

Reaction score
The only thing ive seen is the white binding on the front is black and i think the rear panel is black too..

i just want mine back:(:(:(

As I said wait it out and see if the new tubes do the trick. Cross the "replacement" bridge if you come to it. Keep us updated.

tonyd927

Reaction score
So what should i tell the repair tech?

1.) I told him to check the tubes 1st priority
2.) Check the pcb boards (whats the scoop on the 5.6k or whatever resistors?)
3.) Check the transformers and inputs
4.) Check the pots and general wiring

Any other suggestions?
thanks guys

core

Reaction score
I wouldn't ask him to check the tubes BUT instead tell him to REPLACE the tubes if that's what you want to do. Otherwise he may just check them and say they are good when you really want to replace them. That is what you would like to do right as far as I've been following?

GuitarGuy503

Reaction score
I wouldn't ask him to check the tubes BUT instead tell him to REPLACE the tubes if that's what you want to do. Otherwise he may just check them and say they are good when you really want to replace them. That is what you would like to do right as far as I've been following?

+1. Tonyd you are making your situation harder than it needs to be. :wtf: HAVE THE TUBES REPLACED (NO QUESTIONS ASKED). If they offered you a retube free of charge there is no reason not to take advantage of it. With that being said... >>>> REPLACE THE OLD TUBES AND THERE WILL BE NO QUESTION WHETHER THE PROBLEM IS TUBE RELATED OR NOT.* There is no point in seeking out other possibilities unless a retube doesn't cure the problem. This thread has turned stupid. SERIOUSLY.

Last edited:

jcmjmp

Reaction score
+1. Tonyd you are making your situation harder than it needs to be. :wtf: Have the tubes replaced (no questions asked). If they offered you a retube free of charge there is no reason not to take advantage of it. With that being said... >>>> replace the old tubes and there will be no question whether the problem is tube related or not.* there is no point in seeking out other possibilities unless a retube doesn't cure the problem. This thread has turned stupid. Seriously.

+100000

jcmjmp

Reaction score
So what should i tell the repair tech?

1.) I told him to check the tubes 1st priority
2.) Check the pcb boards (whats the scoop on the 5.6k or whatever resistors?)
3.) Check the transformers and inputs
4.) Check the pots and general wiring

Any other suggestions?
thanks guys

ummmm... dude.... Its the tech's job to figure this out, not yours. Geeez....

Buggs.Crosby

Reaction score
I'll stand behind JCM on that statement.....sounds like you have no clue.....don't trust your tech.....he could care less about you, .....You just dont like him......or You should find a better hobby.....he should find another job....have you contacted Marshall and got their opinion?....i have seen some great answers/possible solution's posted above.....at this point i gotta question you more than them.......Maybe an SS Crate is in order?

tonyd927

Reaction score
I'll stand behind JCM on that statement.....sounds like you have no clue.....don't trust your tech.....he could care less about you, .....You just dont like him......or You should find a better hobby.....he should find another job....have you contacted Marshall and got their opinion?....i have seen some great answers/possible solution's posted above.....at this point i gotta question you more than them.......Maybe an SS Crate is in order?

Im gonna talk to marshall and get their thoughts on this. I got questions and got answers..this thread probably wont be helpful to just me. Others might have similar questions i may or may hav not asked.

tonyd927

Reaction score
okay so almost 3 weeks later I have some updates.
apparently the amp is fine according to every tech there. ..I've spoken to about 3 or 4 different people and they all say "the amp is fine " I havto call them again tomorrow to make sure they send it back to me this week.
once its here I'm trading it for a 2004 dsl 50.
hopefully that one isn't a lemon. ..

core

Reaction score
It's a good call to wash your hands of it and start over. Seems you exhausted all other avenues for this amp.

GuitarGuy503

Reaction score
okay so almost 3 weeks later I have some updates.
apparently the amp is fine according to every tech there. ..I've spoken to about 3 or 4 different people and they all say "the amp is fine " I havto call them again tomorrow to make sure they send it back to me this week.
once its here I'm trading it for a 2004 dsl 50.
hopefully that one isn't a lemon. ..

Did they retube it or what? If not, I'd tell to send it back retubed or you will raise hell. An amp that keeps making it's way back to the repair shop isn't "fine". From your past experiences with these techs their definition of "fine" means "we are sending it back to you eventhough it's still broken". Your techs either need to get a clue or stop jerking customers around. I'd say that if they don't retube it like they said they would you can count on it failing once more. We will see. Goodluck....

GuitarGuy503

Reaction score
I took my 2005 DSL50 in today for a retube. I found out that the tubes that were in there were the original Marshalls that came with the amp.... lol I'm actually amazed it played as well as it did on that old of tubes (I had a bit of static and light cutting in and out on clean channel). Other than that it seemed to run pretty strong....

gibson175

Reaction score
Tony D: i know you have had a lot of advice here, but i would like to chime in too....
1. Tubes: EH for the front end, and EH or JJ for the power section. That is only a personal choice tho.
2. Re: 900 vs 2000: just get the amp you like better. You are the one playing it.

RobS

Reaction score
Got some good news and some bad news...

the shop called me today, the amp has been sitting there for a week and no one's even bothered to look at it. But the manager said if the problem persists after they fix it im entitled to a full refund.

Any suggestions on RELIABLE and versatile amplifiers?
id prefer something along the lines of Marshall and Mesa.
Thanks

Tony,
If you can get your money back and put in extra to get an 800 2203x, you wont regret it.

Rob

tonyd927

Reaction score
It's a good call to wash your hands of it and start over. Seems you exhausted all other avenues for this amp.

Yea it just disappoints me that some $400 and below amplifiers are built better than a MARSHALL.:wtf: