jcm 900

• Thread starter fullyc
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hayride13

Reaction score
if this was to me it's probably partially how bad Ohios economy is but, the 4100's here are generaly $500 and sometimes $450 and the 4500 is $450 to $325. I got offered an SL-X for $450 as well but, i don't see those out here much and if i had the money at the time i would have scooped that one up. Unsure if it was a 50-100 watt variant though. I don't see many combo models at all as far as the JCM900's go in this general area.

I was actually talking to the OP but was wondering where things are going so cheap so thanks for the info.

Ken

Reaction score
There's an SL-X for sale around here for $900.00.

I see them for $6-700 around here. Sometimes less. NOTHING is cheaper than a DSL used, even a 900 DR. They go for the same as an SL-X in the Chicago area.

Ken

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
i had and loved 5 5150's through the 90's...i thought they were they shit with all that gain and low end. However I kept noticing that the tones i loved most were coming from marshall players....but i though marshalls sucked with all the ice picky highs and lack of low end and gain. Anyway, I finally broke down and bought a 2203 and I about shit at how bad it sucked,...no gain, no balls YUCK....but i knew there had to be something there, cuz all my fav tones were coming from players with marshalls, mainly 800 players. So, I got a tube screamer and a SD1 and literlally MADE myself play that amp. I really didn't like it,...made me feel all naked and shit. Finally a couple weeks later i took it to a gig, and even left my 5150 at home cuz i knew if i took it i'd use it.

After struggling with it thru the first set my sound man came up and said it was one of, if not THE, best head he'd ever heard.....i couldn't believe he was saying that shit....i thought he was being sarcastic, but he wasn't. I relaxed and took it for what it was and soldiered on.

I probably took me 6 months to learn to embrace all that lushious overdrive, in your face mids, and searing highs, after all those years of brainwashing myself with "scoop tone". ...i have vids of my band playing w me and the 5150 and w/ the 800 and the difference is INCREDIBLE. Every note coming out of the marshall is crisp and pristine while wtih the 5150 sounds like sludge in comparison.

.....so yea, sell it.

RIGHT ON.x1000000000000000

I been through the same ordeal. In clubs, when you play the heavy stuff and the bands show up with a 5150 and EMG equipped guitars; they all start to sound the same. I no longer wanted that sound because when my last band fell apart, there was to many bad memories associated with it. I can't really stand EMG's anymore and think 5150's are only OK.

I had a couple of 5150's with the bias mod done to it, and let me tell you that it works! If you compare my current SL-X to my previous 5150, the 5150 has more low end of course; however the 5150's in stock form sound like ass IMO.
The Marshall flat out squashes the Peavey as far articulation and overall tone.
Do a depth mod to increase the lows on a Marshall, get a thick sounding cab, a good retube and plug in a killer guitar--Then stand back. You have mids that show in your face agressiveness. I think that most Marshall's are built very well and the reliabilty means alot to me.

Once you get the right tweaks on Marshall, you probably won't consider anything else. Not only that, you can buy a used Marshall, mod it and then still come out ahead over those expensive amps. There is better stuff I'm sure, but for the money ..tweaked Marshall:headbanger:

core

Reaction score
i had and loved 5 5150's through the 90's...i thought they were they shit with all that gain and low end. However I kept noticing that the tones i loved most were coming from marshall players....but i though marshalls sucked with all the ice picky highs and lack of low end and gain. Anyway, I finally broke down and bought a 2203 and I about shit at how bad it sucked,...no gain, no balls YUCK....but i knew there had to be something there, cuz all my fav tones were coming from players with marshalls, mainly 800 players. So, I got a tube screamer and a SD1 and literlally MADE myself play that amp. I really didn't like it,...made me feel all naked and shit. Finally a couple weeks later i took it to a gig, and even left my 5150 at home cuz i knew if i took it i'd use it.

After struggling with it thru the first set my sound man came up and said it was one of, if not THE, best head he'd ever heard.....i couldn't believe he was saying that shit....i thought he was being sarcastic, but he wasn't. I relaxed and took it for what it was and soldiered on.

I probably took me 6 months to learn to embrace all that lushious overdrive, in your face mids, and searing highs, after all those years of brainwashing myself with "scoop tone". ...i have vids of my band playing w me and the 5150 and w/ the 800 and the difference is INCREDIBLE. Every note coming out of the marshall is crisp and pristine while wtih the 5150 sounds like sludge in comparison.

.....so yea, sell it.

Cool story, and I'd have to agree as I was in the same camp and once I got my 2204 and played around with it and then eventually tweaking it to my liking I am now hearing what you hear. Other people have also stated that amp sounds amazing compared to what they're using.

I myself was never into playing the scooped tone, too muddy for me, I think it works best when eq'ing home audio. I'm a big fan of mids and presence (at least in my amp 8 6 6 6 4 7.5). After years though I'm finally becoming more attuned to getting clear sound out of my amp.

Furies

Reaction score
...I can't really stand EMG's anymore and think 5150's are only OK....

All too true...my EMG-equipped Strat is for sale right now...I had been playing with all sorts of amps over the years, but my first gig thru a borrowed Marshall halfstack garnered rave reviews over the sound, even though it felt and sounded too clean for me onstage. Six years later I'm finally getting used to it.

surface54

Reaction score
i had and loved 5 5150's through the 90's...i thought they were they shit with all that gain and low end. However i kept noticing that the tones i loved most were coming from marshall players....but i though marshalls sucked with all the ice picky highs and lack of low end and gain. Anyway, i finally broke down and bought a 2203 and i about shit at how bad it sucked,...no gain, no balls yuck....but i knew there had to be something there, cuz all my fav tones were coming from players with marshalls, mainly 800 players. So, i got a tube screamer and a sd1 and literlally made myself play that amp. I really didn't like it,...made me feel all naked and shit. Finally a couple weeks later i took it to a gig, and even left my 5150 at home cuz i knew if i took it i'd use it.

After struggling with it thru the first set my sound man came up and said it was one of, if not the, best head he'd ever heard.....i couldn't believe he was saying that shit....i thought he was being sarcastic, but he wasn't. I relaxed and took it for what it was and soldiered on.

I probably took me 6 months to learn to embrace all that lushious overdrive, in your face mids, and searing highs, after all those years of brainwashing myself with "scoop tone". ...i have vids of my band playing w me and the 5150 and w/ the 800 and the difference is incredible. Every note coming out of the marshall is crisp and pristine while wtih the 5150 sounds like sludge in comparison.

.....so yea, sell it.

this is a boost to marshall moral x10!

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score

.....so yea, sell it.

That's amazingly ironic as it was really the same thing with me. I bit the bullet THREE times with Marshalls getting the 900 DR 4500 first then the TSL60 and finaly the DSL100MLB. at first with the DSL, i LOVED the lush and spacious tone but, of course i was a little weird about the type of gain it had then only 3 days in i busted out my AB switch and went throu all three amps and low and behold the DSL became my favorite. I still LIKE the 5150 and i really love the Mesa but, i'm sold on Marshall. The DR was easily imo the worst of the ones i owned but, even it had that something in the mids (and because it's so nasty i want another one for my punk type stuff. Now i can't even PLAY the 5150....lol and mine's pretty quiet. I did some mechanical mods like adding foam to the back plate and o rings to the tubes and a few more but, it's so compressed....i mean it's a great metal amp for the money but, the DSL100MLB can do that and so much more.....i used to be adamantly AGAINST Marshall....that was just stupid on my part. I am going to get all of the hi gain heads from the 800 series up just to have. Actualy kind of liked the 3203 too...good for practice anyway.it's great though, i've backed off the pre gain a lot. Right now my DSL is at Noon at conversation volumes an maybe 11 around 2 on the vol and i may reduce it yet again and this is playing modern metal. the 5150 i never had higher than 4 which yeah...the thing has a ton of gain but, it compresses after 2 on the pre gain.....that's technicaly unuseable at least to me now. i like hi gain preamps but, i prefer my compression to occur primarily in the power section.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
I noticed all the tones i liked were Marshall based too. usualy in the JCM2000 family or in the 800 family. Some other tones i have liked came from 5150's that were HEAVILY modified or various Mesa amps but, Marshall is my centerpiece for sure now and even the amps i liked before were pretty much all Marshall based designs like the XXX or SLO100 and so on.

fullyc

Reaction score
And now that people realize that these statements are BS the values are going up on the 900 series amps.

I see that you have a jcm 900 and a more expensive jcm 800, does the 900 even come close to sounding as good as the 800?

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
All too true...my EMG-equipped Strat is for sale right now...I had been playing with all sorts of amps over the years, but my first gig thru a borrowed Marshall halfstack garnered rave reviews over the sound, even though it felt and sounded too clean for me onstage. Six years later I'm finally getting used to it.

I still like some EMG's. the 85,89,60,sa but, prefer them to have an 18 volt mod to reduce the compression/add headroom but, i still like my passive designs,JB,500T,498T,490's,'59 and countless others. I think right now for the bridge position i like the 500T GIBSON and the Duncan JB/SH4-TB4 the most. i like ceramics in the bridge and alnicos in the neck pretty much.

Codyjohns

VIP Member
Reaction score
I see that you have a jcm 900 and a more expensive jcm 800, does the 900 even come close to sounding as good as the 800?

The JCM900 DR 4100 sounds better to me then that 800 I had......I traded it for a MKIII and some cash and that JCM900 MKIII 2100 sounds better then the 800 2203kk I had.

fullyc

Reaction score
The JCM900 DR 4100 sounds better to me then that 800 I had......I traded it for a MKIII and some cash and that JCM900 MKIII 2100 sounds better then the 800 2203kk I had.

Is there any differance in the 1960 cabs?

Codyjohns

VIP Member
Reaction score
yes,the 800 and 900 jcm cabs?

Sorry dude.........the JCM800 1960a cab has GT12-65 speaker in it which is my favorite ...love the mids ........the JCM900 cab has the 75's in them which I think have a lot of bottom end .........like the 800 cab better for the music and style I play.

fullyc

Reaction score
Sorry dude.........the JCM800 1960a cab has GT12-65 speaker in it which is my favorite ...love the mids ........the JCM900 cab has the 75's in them which I think have a lot of bottom end .........like the 800 cab better for the music and style I play.

Thanks for the info!!:headbanger:

Latest posts