• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

JCM2000 VS DSL100HR

DIMILLIONE

Reaction score
Greetings, I'm Rob Chapman and this is the Cap...WHAT?
I mean Hey I'm DIMILLIONE and I got into this big dilemma lately, I'm looking for a new amp and after gathering a lot of information and demoing amps it got to JCM2000/DSL.
How I see it:

PROS JCM2000
- Build in UK
- Premium look and quality materials
- Sounds amazing
CONS
- Old
- Had issues like overheating (Mainly PRE2004 models)
- Doesn't have attenuator
- Doesn't have master volume

PROS DSL100HR
- Attenuator build in to switch between 50W/100W
- Master volume and MIDI output
- Brand New
- Warranty
- All the issues from the past has been issued
- EQ got balanced
- Sounds amazing (Tweaked to sound more heavy and modern)
- FX Loop issues addressed
CONS
- Build in Vietnam
- Cheap look and materials
- Unknown how long it will last

I just wish they released an actual JCM2000 DSL Reissue build in UK and looks, exactly like that did with the JCM800 2003X and yes I would of paid twice the price of the DSL100HR for it.

I've tried the new DSL in person and it sounded amazing but the materials look and feel were quite cheap and this kind of things bump me up a bit, I wish I could try the JCM2000 but it's really difficult to find these kind of gear in my country so if I would go with it, I'm pretty sure I'll be buying second hand online which is not the best cause you can't even hear the amp before you buy it. I would like to hear your opinion please cause I got a bit lost with all of this. I know it's easy and simply to go with the DSL100HR but going with the JCM2000 would be like buying a gorgeous vintage car that you always wanted and now you can sleep so peacefully knowing it's the best and it won't let you down when you conquer the world with it!

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
I mean Hey I'm DIMILLIONE and I got into this big dilemma lately, I'm looking for a new amp and after gathering a lot of information and demoing amps it got to JCM2000/DSL.
How I see it:

PROS JCM2000
- Build in UK
- Sounds amazing
CONS
- Old

PROS DSL100HR
- Brand New
- Warranty
- EQ got balanced
CONS
- Build in Vietnam

I just wish they released an actual JCM2000 DSL Reissue build in UK and looks, exactly like that did with the JCM800 2003X and yes I would of paid twice the price of the DSL100HR for it.

I've tried the new DSL in person and it sounded amazing but the materials look and feel were quite cheap and this kind of things bump me up a bit, I wish I could try the JCM2000 but it's really difficult to find these kind of gear in my country so if I would go with it, I'm pretty sure I'll be buying second hand online which is not the best cause you can't even hear the amp before you buy it. I would like to hear your opinion please cause I got a bit lost with all of this. I know it's easy and simply to go with the DSL100HR but going with the JCM2000 would be like buying a gorgeous vintage car that you always wanted and now you can sleep so peacefully knowing it's the best and it won't let you down when you conquer the world with it!

Don't buy an older one, there is too many defects.

DIMILLIONE

Reaction score
I actually read that and was kinda set my mind on the HR but than again those videos and the quality differences. Of course it will be a newer model than 2004, apart from the issues that has been addressed on the newer models is there some sort of tonal or other difference?
Maybe there is somebody that have both of them or used both of them? It would be great to hear.

It's interesting cause all those musicians that use them like Joe Bonamassa and not even consider to upgrade to the newer models

Last edited:

KraftyBob

Reaction score
Not sure why being made is Vietnam is a con? It's made there, but the design, parts and manufacturing/assembly process is Marshall spec. If it was made in the UK it would still be the same Marshall design, parts and manufacturing, but more expensive to cover the difference in labor.

Do you have an Android or iPhone? Guess where a lot of those parts are made/come from. Yep, you guessed it - overseas, including Vietnam.

Also, what is cheap about the look and materials? Unless your referring to the circuit boards, etc., which would be the same no matter where it was made. I ask this seriously as I'm not sure what you mean by that.

DIMILLIONE

Reaction score
Not sure why being made is Vietnam is a con? It's made there, but the design, parts and manufacturing/assembly process is Marshall spec. If it was made in the UK it would still be the same Marshall design, parts and manufacturing, but more expensive to cover the difference in labor.

Do you have an Android or iPhone? Guess where a lot of those parts are made/come from. Yep, you guessed it - overseas, including Vietnam.

Also, what is cheap about the look and materials? Unless your referring to the circuit boards, etc., which would be the same no matter where it was made. I ask this seriously as I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Agree with you about iPhones and most of the stuff, but there are no iPhones that made in US to compare to. You can actually visually see the difference in quality and cosmetic parts they're using, I had JVM410H,Studio Jubilee and DSL40CR in front of me and you clearly can spot the difference in the materials the same as you can see the difference between an Epiphone and actual Gibson. The best example would be it's like two amazing sounding Les Pauls but one is made overseas and the other in USA, believe me you can see and feel the difference, even smell. That's my point, I'm sure 90% won't care but for some reason I do =)

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regarding the vietnam/ uk thing..How many more problems could the new dsl have that would compete with the 2k dsls problems? I mean holy shit..thermal meltdown due to runaway bias..the speaker jack ground issue....conductive pcbs..shitty bias pots..on and on..and thats the made in England dsl..lol.

And I'll add I have a dreaded 2k dsl100..an amp made in 2000..after the Bias drift fix, proper bias, speaker jack fix, and a thorough going through is a GREAT amp..but if you can't fix the things that need fixing on a needy one yourself, could get expensive paying bench time..

CraigP

Reaction score
This is like "deja poo" with the 20H post you started.

DIMILLIONE

Reaction score
Regarding the vietnam/ uk thing..How many more problems could the new dsl have that would compete with the 2k dsls problems? I mean holy shit..thermal meltdown due to runaway bias..the speaker jack ground issue....conductive pcbs..shitty bias pots..on and on..and thats the made in England dsl..lol.

And I'll add I have a dreaded 2k dsl100..an amp made in 2000..after the Bias drift fix, proper bias, speaker jack fix, and a thorough going through is a GREAT amp..but if you can't fix the things that need fixing on a needy one yourself, could get expensive paying bench time..

Yea it's kinda sad that a made in UK product had so many issues, well just wanted to know from the people that own the newer models what they think about it cause there are many happy JCM2000 holders out there. I guess at the end it would be the HR
Thanks for the help :cheers:

KraftyBob

Reaction score
Agree with you about iPhones and most of the stuff, but there are no iPhones that made in US to compare to. You can actually visually see the difference in quality and cosmetic parts they're using, I had JVM410H,Studio Jubilee and DSL40CR in front of me and you clearly can spot the difference in the materials the same as you can see the difference between an Epiphone and actual Gibson. The best example would be it's like two amazing sounding Les Pauls but one is made overseas and the other in USA, believe me you can see and feel the difference, even smell. That's my point, I'm sure 90% won't care but for some reason I do =)
I get what you’re saying but you’re comparing the DSL to amps that are 3-4x’s more expensive. There are going to be differences.

In the end only you can decide if getting a JCM2000 is worth the risk being an older amp with known issues. And you’re right, a lot of guys are still playing them, but they usually have tech’s that can work on them. How handy are you with amp repairs should the need arise. Just something else to consider.

Let us know what you decide.

Lance Chambers

Reaction score
Post #30, 32 & 34..........from the previous thread I linked. :cheers:

TBH: The only thing I don't like about the HR model is the fact that the cabinet housing itself is bigger than the UK model amps. I like the shiny, black Tolex but not the LARGE housing. Why is that Marshall?

Last edited:

DIMILLIONE

Reaction score
I get what you’re saying but you’re comparing the DSL to amps that are 3-4x’s more expensive. There are going to be differences.

In the end only you can decide if getting a JCM2000 is worth the risk being an older amp with known issues. And you’re right, a lot of guys are still playing them, but they usually have tech’s that can work on them. How handy are you with amp repairs should the need arise. Just something else to consider.

Let us know what you decide.

Kinda wish there we're two option the real reissue and this one. You right that it's my choice, cause the second option can be risky.
I guess I'll look around and see what the market has to offer and eventually pull the trigger ( I still need to sell my JVM )

Post #30, 32 & 34..........from the previous thread I linked. :cheers:

You're the one I've been looking for, the one with we answers!

DSL100HR (features, ease of use, sound)
JCM 2000 DSL100 (sounds awesome)
DSL100H (does it even qualify)

Please tell me tone wise the difference between the JCM2000 and the DSL100HR, Cause what you say is (features, ease of use, sound) vs (sounds awesome), meaning HR sounds awesome too?
I heard they made the HR sound more modern and added gain (love it) and balanced the EQ that was really unbalanced on the H version, what about the old one?
I see that you really like the HR and not so much the JCM2000 and I really want to know why, is you could detail please

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
How I see it:

PROS JCM2000
- Build in UK
- Sounds amazing
CONS
- Old

PROS DSL100HR
- Brand New
- Warranty
- EQ got balanced
CONS
- Build in Vietnam

No brainer, get the HR and get an extended warranty for piece of mind. :yesway:

Latest posts