JCM800 100w 1959 model...ever played one?..

• Thread starter al3d
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Citats

Reaction score
Yep, that's my main rig. I have a 1982 production 1959 JCM 800 100W head, with the four inputs. I jumper the channel I hi to the channel II low, and plug into the channel II high for a truly awesome tone. You can search online for the user guide for the amp, if you have specific questions about load, tubes, etc. I run my head through a Marshall 412 slant and a 1962b straight cab for that fullstack Marshall roar. I love my amp.

Crunchcity

Reaction score
not meant to highjack just to clarify...
is that a fact or you just "heard" on the internet...just wondering

Some very popular amp makers/modders on the various forums have stated it, but I'm not an insider.

This is an interesting thread from someone in the business, according to him Dagnall folded in 2009, their manufacturing equipment acquired by a group of entities who took over the name and are now made in Malta! :naughty:

Dagnall Electronics - diyAudio

plexilespaul

Reaction score
Some very popular amp makers/modders on the various forums have stated it, but I'm not an insider.

This is an interesting thread from someone in the business, according to him Dagnall folded in 2009, their manufacturing equipment acquired by a group of entities who took over the name and are now made in Malta! :naughty:

Dagnall Electronics - diyAudio
well according to that thread the dagnall moved to malta not china...

i dug this on the net and it seems that there is small group in the u.k that works with marshall to creat the dagnall transformers
[quoteWhen you think of guitar amplifiers, one name stands out from the crowd. Marshall Amplification have been building amps since the early 60's, and we are justifiably proud of meeting their exacting standards, and manufacturing the Dagnall Transformers® that are an intrinsic part of the Marshall sound.
Our own experienced manufacturing team are supported by 29byONE, an independent design company in the UK with 20 years of experience and very close links to the Marshall Amplification engineering dept. This combination of technical skills and knowlage leads to a very successful relationship which benefits all concerned][/quote]
anyway my marshall reissue kicks some serious butt:headbanger:

Last edited:

Voodoo Amps

Reaction score
In the hopes that it helps and for what it's worth; I would recommend an older 1959. We have worked on several JCM800 1959’s and I used to own as well. Having worked on countless 1959’s from every year I can say that the JCM800’s made for Canada were different then those made for the USA. More over the USA 1959 JCM800’s do have different transformers compared to the older 70's 1959's, the PSU (power supply) is not identical and the voltages on a large majority of the USA JCM800 1959'schave been higher. These amps are louder and cleaner with less bottom end by comparison to a 70’s 1959. You can take it to a good amp tech that has worked on a lot of late 60’s/early 70’s 1959’s and they can mirror the voltages in the preamp/PI section to help off set the higher plate voltage. I offer the afore mentioned in the hope that is helps you to make a good decision as to what amp will work best for you.

Side note and generally speaking; the later 70’s JMP 2203 Master Volumes are in fact different than the later 80’s JCM800 2203’s. Aside from the rare early JCM800 2203 that did have six (6) can caps the later models did not. Also the transformers are not identical (transformers varied a fair amount in the 70's as well) and the later JCM800 2203’s did have PCB revisions (which does impact/effect tone to varying degrees) as well as circuitry revisions. For JCM800 2003's there is truth to the debate of vertical input models verses the later horizontal models. The later horizontal models also changed the PSU design resulting in higher voltages to the preamp section, which they tried to offset by increasing the distortion in the PI (phase inverter). Naturally there is no right or wrong when it comes to tone, it’s all about what ever works best for each individual player.

All the best & I hope it helps;
Trace

rpurdue

Reaction score
In the hopes that it helps and for what it's worth; I would recommend an older 1959. We have worked on several JCM800 1959’s and I used to own as well. Having worked on countless 1959’s from every year I can say that the JCM800’s made for Canada were different then those made for the USA. More over the USA 1959 JCM800’s do have different transformers compared to the older 70's 1959's, the PSU (power supply) is not identical and the voltages on a large majority of the USA JCM800 1959'schave been higher. These amps are louder and cleaner with less bottom end by comparison to a 70’s 1959. You can take it to a good amp tech that has worked on a lot of late 60’s/early 70’s 1959’s and they can mirror the voltages in the preamp/PI section to help off set the higher plate voltage. I offer the afore mentioned in the hope that is helps you to make a good decision as to what amp will work best for you.

Side note and generally speaking; the later 70’s JMP 2203 Master Volumes are in fact different than the later 80’s JCM800 2203’s. Aside from the rare early JCM800 2203 that did have six (6) can caps the later models did not. Also the transformers are not identical (transformers varied a fair amount in the 70's as well) and the later JCM800 2203’s did have PCB revisions (which does impact/effect tone to varying degrees) as well as circuitry revisions. For JCM800 2003's there is truth to the debate of vertical input models verses the later horizontal models. The later horizontal models also changed the PSU design resulting in higher voltages to the preamp section, which they tried to offset by increasing the distortion in the PI (phase inverter). Naturally there is no right or wrong when it comes to tone, it’s all about what ever works best for each individual player.

Trace

Hey Trace. I have a canadian one. It has 6 Filter caps, the pots aren't attached to the board, A LOT of fuses, and no 16 ohm tap. What are the other differences? Do you prefer the USA or the Canadian versions?

Voodoo Amps

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, TRACE.

You are welcome MartyStrat and I hope the information was helpful. Every one tells me I should write a book on the JCM800's and back however finding the time is the true challenge (free time is a rare commodity--lol).

Do have a great Wednesday & I hope all is well with you and yours!
Trace

Voodoo Amps

Reaction score
Hey Trace. I have a canadian one. It has 6 Filter caps, the pots aren't attached to the board, A LOT of fuses, and no 16 ohm tap. What are the other differences? Do you prefer the USA or the Canadian versions?

Good morning my friend! :) You have touched on the main points and before I forget to mention it, I think those models sound better when bypassing the added fuse board/pcb all together.

To really list out all the variables, what years, etc would truly require more time than I am able to commit to presently (not being cagey but rather just being honest). There are far more variations that go well beyond the Marshall book that Mike Doyle wrote. IE: I have a tremendous amount of information documented (technical data, schematics we have created, etc) and I have been documenting this (as well as numerous other brands) for approximately 20 years. Now if I can find some one that wants to write a book we would be on our way (lol), naturally that would require an investment of time. Do they sell free-time at Wal-Mart? (lol)

To add a bit to what was previously mentioned; It's also worth noting that the Canadian JCM800 combos are also different than the USA versions. Aside from what you have mentioned the EQ section is also a bit different, giving more of a midrange cut and a bit more low end.

Time to hit the bench this morning, have a great dayrpurdue!
Trace

jcmjmp

Reaction score

Trace

The above is a good generaliztion but its not the entire story. For example, the switch to the lesser power supply was not in line with the switch to the horizontal inputs on the 2203. The Horizontal inputs came first.

Also, the OTs between the JMP style and JCM style headbox for the 1959 model number did not include circuit or transformer changes from what I've seen.

rpurdue

Reaction score
Good morning my friend! :) You have touched on the main points and before I forget to mention it, I think those models sound better when bypassing the added fuse board/pcb all together.

To really list out all the variables, what years, etc would truly require more time than I am able to commit to presently (not being cagey but rather just being honest). There are far more variations that go well beyond the Marshall book that Mike Doyle wrote. IE: I have a tremendous amount of information documented (technical data, schematics we have created, etc) and I have been documenting this (as well as numerous other brands) for approximately 20 years. Now if I can find some one that wants to write a book we would be on our way (lol), naturally that would require an investment of time. Do they sell free-time at Wal-Mart? (lol)

To add a bit to what was previously mentioned; It's also worth noting that the Canadian JCM800 combos are also different than the USA versions. Aside from what you have mentioned the EQ section is also a bit different, giving more of a midrange cut and a bit more low end.

Trace

Thanks for your time and knowledge Trace! Do you have a schematic that i could purchase for the above mod or is that something any knowledgeable tech could do. Of course i'd love to send my amp to you but being in Western Canada the shipping and brokerage fees are astronomical. Have a good one.

rpurdue

Reaction score

Trace
Thanks for your time and knowledge Trace! Do you have a schematic that i could purchase for the above mod or is that something any knowledgeable tech could do. Of course i'd love to send my amp to you but being in Western Canada the shipping and brokerage fees are astronomical. Have a good one.