JCM800 2203 "Guitar Center" Edition?

• Thread starter tarznamps
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tarznamps

Reaction score
Anyone know about this amp? It's a 1997 JCM 800 2203 Horizontal input with a badge on the head that says something like Guitar Center Limited Edition. It was supposed to be the last JCM 800 2203's ever made.

Any info would be great.

longfxukxnhair

Reaction score
I have never heard of it but it wouldnt surprise me if it was a GC exclusive.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Can it be removed? I wouldn't want it on there either.

rich24a

Reaction score
According to the "Jim Marshall: The Father of Loud" book by Rich Maloof:

"In 1997, 200 virgin 2203 circuit boards were discovered - and used for limited amp run for the Guitar Center chain. Each head bore a plaque with the GC logo, Jim's signature and the legend "1997 LIMITED EDITION JCM800, FINAL PRODUCTION RUN OF MODEL 2203."

Hope this helps...

V-man

Reaction score
Since we’re playing “raise the zombie threads“ all day:

It was a 1997 exclusive. At the time, it was the “freshest” 2203 you could get on the planet, having been discontinued 7 years prior. Today it is the last 2203 made, since the 2203X is not a 2203 in that it has FX loop and shares DNA with JVMs. It’s the closest thing you can get to a 2203 (from Marshall), but the last “actual” 2203s were these GC exclusives.

V-man

Reaction score
Can you elaborate on this part? I agree on the loop, but am curious about the jvm dna
As relayed in this thread, Marshall found a stash of late-80s boards… the last of the supply and made the ’97 an exclusive to exhaust the supply. After that, they decided to RI the 2203in the early ‘00s but had to start over, incorporating the the FX loop and VI, for example. IIRC, the board (no longer produced) was shared with the JVM‘s maybe 1-2 other components that were proprietary to 2203s no longer made As well. There is an old thread about it about as old as this one referencing this.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 2203x I had was, with exception to the loop pretty much identical to the old ones I've had. Not sure why they'd be considered "not" 2203's because they absolutely are.

Rotorcraft230

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man that amp looks great, clean and unmolested, thanks for posting the pics @Rotorcraft230
You’re welcome, unmodded and probably not gigged. It’s VERY nice, all the voltage were right in line, the power tube bias was kinda hot, see the post it in one of the pics, gonna cool it down a bit.

The cab is the typical 800 with the GC badge added.

V-man

Reaction score
The 2203x I had was, with exception to the loop pretty much identical to the old ones I've had. Not sure why they'd be considered "not" 2203's because they absolutely are.
Are you responding in terms of sound/feel or actual construction/schematic? There is notable wiggle room to “Pretty much identical.”

Is what’s under the hood of TS Mini a “true“ example when compared to an ’81’ 808 when a player can both get the to record near-identically in a blind shootout?

There is a reason (specific examples excepted on basis of condition, famous ownership, etc) that a ‘79 2203 JMP > ‘82 2203 JCM > ‘88 2203 JCM. That doesn’t mean a specific ’87 can’t clean every 2203’s clock around it or a ‘77 isn’t a dog. They just made 3 versions of this amp (2 being cosmetic) and then ground all production to a halt, requiring adaptation when reissuing it.

shredless

Reaction score
As relayed in this thread, Marshall found a stash of late-80s boards… the last of the supply and made the ’97 an exclusive to exhaust the supply. After that, they decided to RI the 2203in the early ‘00s but had to start over, incorporating the the FX loop and VI, for example. IIRC, the board (no longer produced) was shared with the JVM‘s maybe 1-2 other components that were proprietary to 2203s no longer made As well. There is an old thread about it about as old as this one referencing this.
I thought this may have been where you were going with that.

Respectfully, l must ask...have you seen the guts of a 2203x?

I have a 2004, it has a Marshall ST1 board, not a jvm type.

Its all good and lm just clearing the air on this

I think this mistake is made often, lve mentioned this a few times here over the years.

2203x and the 1987x both are nearly identical amps to their namesakes. The 2203x has large trannys, chassis mounted filter cans and pots/jacks just like the originals. The loops are garbage, but are a seperate add on board with 4 connections to the board. In, out, ground, and hot. A large ceramic resistor was added to the st1 board to power the loop, and a hum balance pot was added. Otherwise its basic ST1 board.

People who feel the 2203x isnt holding up to an old school 2203 need to disconnect the loop and let the amp slay like it should. Actually l recently saw Headfirst Amplification has redesigned a good loop that is a direct bolt in physically and priced right.

V-man

Reaction score
I thought this may have been where you were going with that.

Respectfully, l must ask...have you seen the guts of a 2203x?

I have a 2004, it has a Marshall ST1 board, not a jvm type.

I understand where you are taking the discussion, and that was why my intent was to ask you plainly above. 2 qualifiers… 1. I am schematic ignorant; 2. I haven’t owned an X.

I have read multiple threads about Xs having different Transformers, Boards, etc. the same goes for the 2203KK. Whether I/others have conflated the X with the KK or it is simple internet idiocy, I am happy to be corrected and take part in eliminating the parroting of such… if it is incorrect Info.