Jcm800 4010 mid cap wiring

• Thread starter Mchome25
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mchome25

Reaction score
First off thanks forum members...I tend to just to watch and read on from this site rather than posting...so thanks for all the knowledge gained over the years!!

My question...It's well known that the JCM800 4010 is the same as the 2204 with the exception of the extra cap on the mid pot going from the middle lug to left lug (I'm not an eletronics guy so sorry about the terminology).

On the 4010 the bass pot connects to the mid pot via the middle lug along with a leg of the extra cap but on the 2204 the wire from the bass pot connects to the mid pot on the right lug from everything I've seen.

When people say they just clip out the cap to turn the 4010 into a 2204 do they also need to move this wire from the bass pot over from the middle to right lug? Is there a difference?

South Park

Reaction score
Follow the wire layout of the 2204 to get the right connection . Find the wires and mark them on the schematic and layout. When working on amps always have all the data sheets and schematics and wire layout.

Mchome25

Reaction score
Thanks, I've got the schematic and it certainly shows the wire coming from the bass pot connected to the right lug on the mid pot (and that's how I have it set currently).

Howver, everything I read and see has folks just clipping out or otherwise just removing the cap and leaving that wire connected to the middle lug...is there, or should there be, a tone difference whether that bass wire connects to the mid or right lug?

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
Thanks, I've got the schematic and it certainly shows the wire coming from the bass pot connected to the right lug on the mid pot (and that's how I have it set currently).

Howver, everything I read and see has folks just clipping out or otherwise just removing the cap and leaving that wire connected to the middle lug...is there, or should there be, a tone difference whether that bass wire connects to the mid or right lug?

It is really common for the tone controls to do very little.
Especially mid control.
There's probably nothing wrong...but you can do the jumper thing on the tone pots which may help a little.

Mchome25

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies... could you describe what the "jumper thing" is? I hadn't heard of anyone mentioning that yet.

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies... could you describe what the "jumper thing" is? I hadn't heard of anyone mentioning that yet.
I think he means that you can use little jumpers to test various connections prior to final soldering.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
I just removed that cap on my 4010 and it sounds great! I did put a Celestion G12M-65 in it!

Latest posts