• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

JCM800 - Bedroom level playing - Any hope?

• Thread starter Azaril000
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CrispyTone

Reaction score
I luckily stumbled across a technique with something I already had to control the overall output of the amp. I run the master and pre-amp volumes at 10, and run a studio rack processor thru the FX loop. I run the mix a little over noon, and I set the output and input levels of the processor on 0, and adjust the output from there. When they are both on 0 its plenty loud. The tubes are getting all the juice from both amp volumes being cranked and they heat up with this method let me tell you, and Its that sound I've been craving. Even when I just run just a guitar and a basic stomp box with a hot pickup and the MV low, I get a descent sound.

Wycked Lester

Reaction score
I luckily stumbled across a technique with something I already had to control the overall output of the amp. I run the master and pre-amp volumes at 10, and run a studio rack processor thru the FX loop. I run the mix a little over noon, and I set the output and input levels of the processor on 0, and adjust the output from there. When they are both on 0 its plenty loud. The tubes are getting all the juice from both amp volumes being cranked and they heat up with this method let me tell you, and Its that sound I've been craving. Even when I just run just a guitar and a basic stomp box with a hot pickup and the MV low, I get a descent sound.

didn't bother with the rest of the thread, huh?

triftstrassa

Reaction score
Anything can be played in a bedroom!

But I would like to add, that I dont think Ive actually had an amp turned on in my home in at least ten years, and prolly 20 since in my bedroom!

kennylee

Reaction score
so what if he has a 800 in the bedroom? i think it great that he has the oportunity to have one at all. you can throw funny metaphors all you want about a 800 in the bed room, but when it comes down to it..HE HAS A JCM 800 IN THE BEDROOM!! i say if u have the chance to get a killer legendary amp of any make; do so!

kennylee

Reaction score
what dude would'nt want that beast in yer room? you will soon have your bedroom volume thing worked out, and life will go on. try not to take peoples posts to heart when they give you shit about how its stupid to have in your room in the 1st place. remember, at least 45% of the people who post don't have half of the gear they say they have. its your happiness,and if you want 5 800 full stacks,well enjoy,its your money. btw,i'm a podiatrist with every model of plexi ever made. i keep them in my laundry room

CrispyTone

Reaction score
I am not the OP. I asked the question because what i do is run an effects processor in the effects loop. I then control the volume with the effects processor in and out volumes while cranking the volumes on the amp. You don't get power tube distortion but I am able to achieve decent tone at manageble volume.

I do the same thing when I use a rack unit. It sounds pretty thick, but it isn't power tube saturation. At first I thought it was because I had the master on 10 and preamp on 7 and it sounded really overdriven, but unless you have volume going through, its not going to reach power saturation.

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not the OP. I asked the question because what i do is run an effects processor in the effects loop. I then control the volume with the effects processor in and out volumes while cranking the volumes on the amp. You don't get power tube distortion but I am able to achieve decent tone at manageble volume.

WEGMAN is on the money. I have been doing this for 25 years and it works great. In addition, yes you can crank the amp in order to make the power tubes saturate. You may go through tubes every couple of years instead of 4-5 depending on how offten you play but the reward is well worth it!!!

Have a listen. this was recorded with a POS hand held camera, with no additional mikes. My amp is at conversation level and it is a JCM800 2210 100 watt monster. I Ensure that I buy models with effect loops, the benefits far surpass just this application.

It really was MUCH quieter than it appears to be. You can hear the high audio hiss at the beginning as a reference. Good luck.

David :jam:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k1LCayMzcI[/ame]

Moose Coghill

Reaction score
Moose Hut Studio - Amherst, VA 24521 - USA
That's a nice sound... but does it represent a pure cranked JCM 800 tone? A couple of hours ago I was plugged direct into a JCM 800 50W Combo (cranked) that I'm trying to negotiate a deal on; and the sound was a very different animal. I want it for live, but even then I can't see using it at the volumes I had it today for most venues (but by the gods, it was fun).

I would love to hear what your setup will do without the actual effects being dialed in - just using it to reduce the volume, showcasing the straight amp sound.

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
That's a nice sound... but does it represent a pure cranked JCM 800 tone? A couple of hours ago I was plugged direct into a JCM 800 50W Combo (cranked) that I'm trying to negotiate a deal on; and the sound was a very different animal. I want it for live, but even then I can't see using it at the volumes I had it today for most venues (but by the gods, it was fun).

I would love to hear what your setup will do without the actual effects being dialed in - just using it to reduce the volume, showcasing the straight amp sound.

It sounds the same without reverb. At perfomance volumes we do not need reverb, perhaps a little delay at times but non the less when these 100 watt amps are naked and cranked it can and will change the way you hear or don't hear for a day or two. I have never had a problem with dialing in tone as it is a science and talent unto it self. I even have different cabs I will use if balls out volume is the way to proceed. Amps, cabs, guitars, these are all tools to be used as needed and there is no be all to end all set up, we must have and use our tools. As a purist, or cork sniffer or studio wizard we all know that power and volume changes everything. As I recall the OP was about using a Powerful amp in a controlled bedroom setting. Simple, treat it like a studio and be open minded.

David :jam:

WWW.MySpace.com/DavidCHopkins

Marshall Mann

Reaction score
Marshall 6100.

With Triode and 1/2 power you are at 25 watts of pure tube glory! Then with the flick of a switch you can go to 50 or 100 watts for practice or gigs.

Moose Coghill

Reaction score
It sounds the same without reverb

OK... thanks for your reply. I currently make my living in a small mastering studio where I also record my own material... so I'm always looking for ways to improve my guitar tracks at 'bedroom volumes'. The space in your video appears larger than where I work.

FWIW: While I performed nightly for well over two decades, I haven't gone for more than 20-30 seconds in front of a cranked amp since roughly 1972, which is when I started mic'ing my stage amps and keeping the volume just loud enough to match the live drumkit. The 50 watter I played today was cranked for a very few seconds to check the difference in response from low volumes. Pre '72 I started doing damage to my ears with big amps, which is what made me change my approach... without them - I'd go hungry. ;)

So yeah - I'm 'all ears' about anything that will get me a groovy sound at low volumes.
Cheers!

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
OK... thanks for your reply. I currently make my living in a small mastering studio where I also record my own material... so I'm always looking for ways to improve my guitar tracks at 'bedroom volumes'. The space in your video appears larger than where I work.

FWIW: While I performed nightly for well over two decades, I haven't gone for more than 20-30 seconds in front of a cranked amp since roughly 1972, which is when I started mic'ing my stage amps and keeping the volume just loud enough to match the live drumkit. The 50 watter I played today was cranked for a very few seconds to check the difference in response from low volumes. Pre '72 I started doing damage to my ears with big amps, which is what made me change my approach... without them - I'd go hungry. ;)

So yeah - I'm 'all ears' about anything that will get me a groovy sound at low volumes.
Cheers!

I certainly am a believer in less is more when it pertains to volume. Match the drum kit as you noted, just enough power in order to feel the energy.

I treat Live just like the Studio (self discipline and control). That being said, out of control heavy handed drummers are annoying at best. Nothing like a crazy cymbal smasher to piss me off.

Best to you.

David

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
dave it was a pleasure watching you rock out

Thank you surface, showboating was really the least of my intent. I was actually interested in demonstrating what a JCM 800 2210 (Clipping Diodes) can sound like when set up using my settings. Just a quick down and dirty keep it real video.

David

Moose Coghill

Reaction score
Nothing like a crazy cymbal smasher to piss me off.

Boy, that brings back ear-splitting memories. I like a drummer who knows how to whack a snare... but cymbals are another thing. Ouch!

Sorry I didn't say so before - but thanks for your soundbites (it made me slip over to your music page and listen to the jamz). :headbanger:
Cheers! :wave:

Latest posts